Presentation on theme: "Metal From the north -a brief history- The birth of viking metal."— Presentation transcript:
Metal From the north -a brief history- The birth of viking metal
Black metal is an extreme subgenre of heavy metal. It often uses fast tempos, shrieked vocals, highly distorted guitars played with tremolo picking, blast beat drumming, raw recording, and unconventional song structure.extremeheavy metaltremolo pickingblast beatraw During the 1980s, certain thrash metal bands formed a prototype for black metal. This so-called "first wave" included bands such as Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost and Sarcófago. A "second wave" arose in the early 1990s, mostly of Norwegian bands such as Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal and Emperor. This scene developed the black metal style into a distinct genre.thrash metalVenomBathoryHellhammer Celtic FrostSarcófagoNorwegianMayhemBurzumDarkthroneImmortal Emperor Black metal has been met with hostility from mainstream culture, mainly due to the misanthropic and anti-Christian standpoint of many artists. Moreover, a handful of musicians have been linked with church burnings, murder or National Socialism. For these, and other reasons, black metal is often seen as an underground form of music.misanthropicanti-Christianchurch burningsmurderNational Socialism underground
The first wave The first wave of black metal refers to those bands during the 1980s who influenced the black metal sound and formed a prototype for the genre. They were often speed metal or thrash metal bands.speed metalthrash metal The term "black metal" was coined by the English band Venom with their second album Black Metal (1982). Although considered thrash metal rather than black metal by modern standards, the album's lyrics and imagery focused more on anti-Christian and Satanic themes than any before it. Their music was unpolished in production and featured raspy grunted vocals. Venom's members also adopted pseudonyms, a practice that would become widespread among black metal musicians.EnglishVenomBlack Metal pseudonyms
Another major influence on black metal was the Swedish band Bathory, led by Thomas Forsberg (under the pseudonym Quorthon). Not only did Bathory use unpolished production and anti-Christian themes, but Quorthon was also the first to use the "shrieked" vocals that came to define black metal. The band exhibited this style on their first four albums: Bathory (1984), The Return of Darkness and Evil (1985), Under the Sign of the Black Mark (1987) and Blood Fire Death (1988). At the beginning of the 1990s, Bathory pioneered the style that would become known as Viking metal.SwedishBathoryQuorthonBathoryThe Return of Darkness and EvilUnder the Sign of the Black Mark Blood Fire DeathViking metal Other artists usually considered part of this movement include Hellhammer and Celtic Frost (from Switzerland), Sodom and Destruction (from Germany), Bulldozer and Death SS (from Italy), Ancient Rites (from Belgium), Tormentor (from Hungary), Root (from Czech Republic), Mercyful Fate (from Denmark), Sarcófago (from Brazil) and Blasphemy (from Canada). Furthermore, King Diamond and the members of Sarcófago were allegedly the first musicians to sport "true" corpsepaint.[10 ]Hellhammer Celtic FrostSwitzerlandSodomDestructionGermany BulldozerDeath SSItalyAncient RitesBelgium TormentorHungaryRootCzech RepublicMercyful FateDenmarkcitation neededSarcófagoBrazilBlasphemyCanadaKing Diamond[10 ]
Blood On Ice A story of an initiation
1. Intro [The snow covered plains...] [Early dawn...] ["As the village greets a new day, the old Crow cries atop the pine.] [Spiritually bounded with nature and all creatures, great and small, the] [hunting families sense danger as the cry of the old Crow continues. A] [rumble, at first loud enough to a human ear, grows into a deafening storm] [of hooves thundering across the frozen tundra. Then bursts into the] [village, four times five riders clad in in armour black. Swords drawn] [glimmering int the awakening sun's light. Cries echoes. Throats are slit.] [Beautiful bodies fall to the frozen ground and limbs of able men are stewn] [across the snowcovered plains. The blood colours the white snow red. Women] [and children are brought far north. Hidden under the foliage of a majestic] [tree, a ten year-old boy. When the shadows ahorse can no longer be heard,] [he crawls out from his hideout to seek his loved ones. Not a sound. Not a] [movement. No sign of life...] [And thus begins the saga of Blood On Ice..."]
2. Blood On Ice The old Crow's cry the first warning The rumbling frozen ground the last. Hooves thundering on the three feet snow, The icy dawn yet to begin. 3. Man Of Iron I have paced these forests for so long I don't know if I am man or I am beast. I, though, hold deep within me a quest for revenge. Then I must be a man as much as I can be. I have learned to speak the tongue of the animal I have learned to read the signs in bark and snow. I have taken within myself the spirits of my fathers, long time gone. In this short time, far from home, a man of Iron I've grown. A man of Iron I have grown. A part of the Eternal Woods... Late evening...
4. One-Eyed Old Man O ye one eyed old man. Of ye our elders told. You have been since land and sky was one. And if you really know all that will be, tell me, what the future wants with this young no-one's son. Say does the Northstar still shine on me What do you see in store for me The Sword This sword of steel that I hold in my hand Ore of this mountain. A sword of this land. Made for a king when the elders were young. To guard us and to guide us in an age since long gone.
6. The Stallion Tendons and muscles of steel. And the blaze of lightning in its eyes. White as the snow on the hills. And it's reins, that I hold, they are mine. I'm but a man. Mortal, a man. And I'll need all the help that I can get. So I give my heart to the woman of the dark With or without it...my life is not over yet. 7. The Woodwoman
8. The lake I'll throw my eyes into the lake. So that I will see from within I'll throw my eyes into the lake And when blind I will still see. At the bottom of the lake. My two eyes will shine like the stars At the bottom of the lake I will see no matter how near or far
9. Gods Of Thunder Of Wind And Of Rain Creator of life. Guardian of the dead. Goddess of battle and war, All of ye watch me. My sword by my side. Proudly I sit on my horse. 10. The Ravens Steadily on jagged wings Feather black against the burning sky Spread your wings and ride the wind Gaze down on me with blackest eyes.
11. The Revenge Of Blood On Ice Fifteen years have passed Every day the woods have cried the words of vengeance and revenge. The Gods have watched him day and night by the Northern stars bright light. Growing stronger. Coming nearer Guide me, my Ravens. Find the way through the woods and snow
The saga that hasn’t been finished Nordland I 1. Prelude 2. Nordland 3. Vinterblot 4. Dragons Breath 5. Ring Of Gold 6. Foreverdark Woods 7. Broken Sword 8. Great Hall Awaits A Fallen Brother 9. Mother Earth Father Thunder 10. Heimfard1. Prelude 2. Nordland 3. Vinterblot 4. Dragons Breath 5. Ring Of Gold 6. Foreverdark Woods 7. Broken Sword 8. Great Hall Awaits A Fallen Brother 9. Mother Earth Father Thunder 10. Heimfard
Nordland II Fanfare Blooded Shores Sea Wolf Vinland The Land Death And Resurrection Of A Northern Son The Messenger Flash Of Th Silverhammer The Wheel Of Sun OutroFanfare Blooded Shores Sea Wolf Vinland The Land Death And Resurrection Of A Northern Son The Messenger Flash Of Th Silverhammer The Wheel Of Sun Outro