Five Rings Flag The five interlocking rings stand for friendship of five continents.
the mascots Welcome to Beijing the fish the panda the flame the antelope the swallow 吉祥物 北京欢迎您
Quiz about 1.When did the ancient Olympic Games started? A.1896 B. 1906 C. 776 BC 2. Which is the Olympic torch of Beijing Olympic Games ？ A. B. C
3. How many gold medals did China get in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games? A. 28 B. 51 C. 49 4. Which sport is in the Winter Olympic Games? A. Badminton B. Basketball C. Speed skating
5. How many kinds of Olympic Games are there in the world? A. 3 B. 2 C. 4 6. What’s the motto of Beijing Olympic Games? A.Welcome to Beijing B. New Beijing, new Olympics C. One world, one dream
7. Who was China’s first gold medal winner and for what event? A.Xu Haifeng; shooting B.Deng Yaping ; table tennis 8. What’s the host city of the first Olympics? A. Athens, Greece B. Beijing, China
9. What’s the host city of the 2012 Olympic Games? A.Beijing, China B. London, UK 10. Which one is not the mascot of Beijing Olympic Games? B.B. A. C.C.
Pre-reading AN INTERVIEW interviewerinterviewee PausaniasLi yan
Who is Pausanias? A Greek writer about 2000 years ago. What does he want to do ? He wants to find out about the present-day Olympic Games.
Who is Li Yan? She is a volunteer for the 2008 Olympic Games.
If you are Pausanias, what will you ask? If you are Li Yan, how will you answer the questions? Discuss with your partner and make a dialogue. Discussion
Fast Reading What is this interview mainly about?
A. A magic journey by Pausanias. B. The similarities and differences about the ancient and modern Olympics. C. The ancient Olympic Games in Greece. This interview is mainly about ____. Fast Reading
1.What are two main sets of Games? 2.How often do we hold the Games? 3.What’s the motto of the Olympics? Fast Reading Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics. Every four years Swifter, Higher and Stronger.
Careful Reading Choose the best answer. 1. Where do all the competitors live? A. A hotel. B. A special village. C. A restaurant. D. Nowhere.
2. Why do so many countries want to host the Olympic Games? A. To develop the economy. B. It is a great honor. C. To make the country famous. D. They want to make money. Choose the best answer.
3.Which of the following is included in the Winter Olympic Games? A skiing and ice skating B running races C horse riding D swimming Choose the best answer.
4. Why does Pausanias think people may be competing for money in the modern Olympic Games? A. The winner can get medals. B. The winner can be awarded lots of money by their own countries. C. The olive wreaths have been replaced by medals. D. Medals are made of gold.
5. How does Pausanias feel when he hears the Olympic Games are also about being able to run faster, jump higher and throw further? A. Surprised B. Happy C. Sad D. Astonished Choose the best answer.
What are the differences and similarities about the ancient and modern Olympics? What are the differences and similarities about the ancient and modern Olympics?
1.Both are held every _____________. 2.______are allowed to take part in both in ancient and modern Olympics. 3.The athletes compete not for money but for _______. 4.The mottos are the same. They are: ___________________. 5.Some events are the same, such as running _____________ four years. Men honor Swifter, higher and stronger swimming, sailing etc.
ModernAncient Winter Olympics Competitors Men/ Women Prize YesNo all over the world Greece both only men olive wreath medals
1. Pausanias, who was a Greek writer 2,000 years ago, has come to on a magical journey find out about the present day Olympic Games. go/start/ come/ be on a journey 进行旅行 My father is away on a journey. find out about 弄清有关 …… 的情况 The police are trying hard to find out about the accident. Language points
2. I lived in what you call “Ancient Greece” and I used to write about the Olympic Games … 我生活在你们所说的 “ 古希腊 ” ，我曾经写过２００ ０年前奥林匹克运动会的情况。 what 引起宾语从句，并在从句中作 call 的宾语， “Ancient Greece” 作宾补。 what 相当于 the place that ，因此 what 不能改为 that ，也不能改为 where ， 因为 where 只能作状语。 After many days’ voyage, they arrived in what is called America now./what we call“ America" now. Language points
表示过去经常做某事 / 表示过去的状态 =“ 习惯于 ” =“ 被用于做 ……” 是被动语态 used to do be/get/ become used to doing be used to do 1.I __________ the weather in Guangzhou. 2.Her mother ________ dance a lot when she was young. 3.Bamboo ( 竹子 ) can _____________ make paper. am used to used to be used to
Post-reading 1.The winter Olympics are usually held two years before the summer Olympics. 2. There are no running races or horse riding events in the Summer Olympics. 3. Pausanias doesn’t like the ideas of the modern Olympics. T F F
4. There are more than 250 sports events and each has its own standard in the modern Olympics. 5. The interview between Pausanias and Li Yan is a true story. T F
You have to believe in yourself. That’s the secret of success. 你必须相信自己，这是成功的关键。 － Charles Chaplin ( 美国演员卓别林 )
Hand in hand we stand All across the land We can make this world a better place in which to live Hand in hand we can! Start to understand Breaking down the walls that come between us for all time a li long Hand in Hand We can see the fire in the sky We feel the beating of our hearts together This is our time to rise above We know the chance is here to live forever For all time
Homework 1. Review the reading text and finish the exercises on page 11. 2.Finish your Guided Learning Plan.