Presentation on theme: "The Statue of Liberty By András Gyenes 10. B The original and complete name is "Liberty Enlightening The World""— Presentation transcript:
The Statue of Liberty By András Gyenes 10. B The original and complete name is "Liberty Enlightening The World"
The sculpture produced in July 1884, arrived in New York on 17 June 1885, on a frigate ship named Isere. 350 piaeces were delivered in 214 packages. It took the statue four months to be compiled. On 28 October 1886, President Grover Cleveland unveiled it in front of thousands of fans.
The female figure called the Statue of Liberty holds a torch in her right hand and a tablet in her left. The tablet shows the inscription JULY IV MDCCLXXVI—July 4, 1776, the date of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. A woman with difficult-to-see chain around one leg symbolizes that freedom was won. The seven rays of the crown symbolizes the seven seas and seven continents.
The total height from the ground to the top of the torch is 93meter. The statue is 46meter high. It weighs 204 tons. On the second floor of the pedestal a Museum is located which presents the history of the statue. We can watch New York from the crown. Winding staircase leads there. In 1916, an explosion damaged the statue. The arm and torch have been off limits and closed since then when the Black Tom explosion happened and only the staff can use it.
On 18th November 1956 a group of Hungarian emigrants placed a seven-meter-long flag on top of the statue. An even larger text was also placed there summoning: "STOP GENOCIDE, SAVE HUNGARY".
Until 11th September 2001, the inside part of the statue was open. Then it was closed. The statue was reopened in August 2004. It was only open to the pedestal, the interior remained closed. The visitors are subject to the normal security inspection. On 4th July 2009 the lookout tower was reopened to the crown. Since then New York can seen again from there.