Presentation on theme: "DofE: Main Items of Kit Full Kit List has already been issued. Please don’t rush out and buy kit until we’re had a change to have a look at what you’ve."— Presentation transcript:
DofE: Main Items of Kit Full Kit List has already been issued. Please don’t rush out and buy kit until we’re had a change to have a look at what you’ve already got – it may be good enough. On the following pages examples of kit will be given. Please bear in mind these are examples. If there’s a picture of a Scarpa hiking-boot, for example, it doesn’t mean you have to buy a Scarpa boot – just something similar.
1) Ruc-sac Capacity of liters
2) Hiking Boots OR Fabric (ideally GORE-TEX lined for waterproofness): Traditional leather: Good quality (fabric or leather) boots are essential. They must be: sturdy, waterproof, give ankle protection and have a good sole. They must fit properly (!) – try them on in the shop while wearing thick socks and have a good walk around.
3) Waterproof Jacket & Trousers Waterproof jacket: Waterproof trousers: AND They must be: waterproof, windproof, breathable and have a hood. Rubberised ‘pac-a-mac’-style waterproofs are not suitable as they are not breathable – you’ll just sweat. No need to buy – hire then from West Lancs Scout County.
4) Sleeping Bag Sleeping bag packed into a compression-sac (straps are tightened to reduce the size of the bag) : Essential! Must be able to be packed small into either a stuff-sac or compression- sac. Synthetic-filled sleeping bags are cheaper and are warmer than down- filled sleeping bags (but down-filled bags are lighter and pack smaller).
5) Carry-Mat Gives good thermal insulate from the ground. Traditional foam-type carry-mats are fine. ‘Therm-a-Rest’-type carry mats are smaller, lighter and give better thermal insulation than traditional foam carry-mats, but are more expensive.
6) Torch LED head-torch: Hand-held, ‘bulb’ torches or Maglite torches are not recommended: A Head-torch is recommended as this allows ‘hands-free’. LED torches are better than traditional ‘bulb’ torches as with LEDs the batteries last longer and bulbs have a nasty tendency to blow. Hand-held torches are not recommended for the same reason! Maglite-type torches are not recommended as these are very heavy.