Presentation on theme: "Can We Trust the Bible? Some think that the Bible is like any other Holy book; But the truth is that no other collection of books or writings is as nearly."— Presentation transcript:
Can We Trust the Bible? Some think that the Bible is like any other Holy book; But the truth is that no other collection of books or writings is as nearly significant, profoundly influential, and has endured thousands of years in transcription and translation…against much hostility.
The Bible is Unique. Some think the Bible is just another collection of myths, stories, and make believe. Many say it is a book of propaganda, false teachings, and lies. The scientific community claims it is nothing more than the memories, folklore, and fables, of old men from nomadic tribes of long ago. There are many detractors, many skeptics, and many persecutors; many who deny its truthfulness, its touch with reality, and its application for today. That is an unwise choice to believe these things…in light of one’s salvation and destiny.
The truth is, however no other Book, or collection of writings, is as nearly significant, profoundly influential, and endured over the centuries, with periods of all out persecution, and remains 98% intact from the original manuscripts. (As opposed to more than 10% corruption with other books!) The truth is, that only predetermined bias (choosing to be against it), only ignorance, only misinformation, would ever keep someone from realizing that no man, or series of human beings could have put this together. There is simply nothing to compare it with, nothing that comes close to the depth, the width, the height, and the breath of this Book (Collection of books). The Truth…
Two Verses that testify to the Bible’s authority… “God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets; has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds.” Hebrews 1:1,2 “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; that the man of God may complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” II Tim. 3:16,17
LET ‘S LOOK AT SOME (20) FACTS: 1)It was written over a 2,200 year span starting over 4000 years ago with Moses about 2000 BC. 2)It was written over 40 generations. (Sometimes a second generation may have collaborated on a work.) 3)It was written by 40 authors from every walk of life: Kings, peasants, philosophers, fisherman, poets, statesman, scholars, political leaders, a doctor, a rabbi, a military general, a prime minister... 4)It was written in different places: the wilderness, dungeon, prison, palace, shepherds field, in a cave, on an island, on a mountain, on a military campaign, while on tour... 5)It was written at different times: war, peace, triumph, defeat, in exile, in glory, at home, during persecution, in distress, in victory, with visions, dreams... 6)It was written on different materials: scrolls, parchments, stone, paper, papyrus, vellum, pottery, wax & clay tablets, leather, by hand and the finger of God... 7) It was written on three continents: Asia, Europe, and Africa.
8)It was written in three major languages: Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic. 9)It was translated into over 1200 languages of the earth in whole or in part. 10) Subject matter includes hundreds of controversial issues with a unique harmony and consistency unmatched by any other writer or writers: Dealing with History, science, common sense, wisdom, poetry, prophecy, law, moral absolutes, transgression, religious worship, service, justice, morality, death, life, peace, war, marriage, divorce, oppression, evil, freedom, money, friendship, relationships, purpose, vanity, eternal life, redemption, blessings curses, people, nations, races, gentile, Jews, Greeks, heresy, lies, truth, passion, sex, murder, good news, the Messiah, the church, etc... 11) In publication: in 1966 over 80,000,000 copies in one year alone. Over the centuries no other book has known anything like the constant circulation and publication of the Bible. The numbers of printed Bibles must be staggering! 12) This publication and circulation has been accomplished under intense times of persecution from the Roman Emperors to present day Communism. Man has tried to burn it, cut it, ban it, outlaw it, censor it, otherwise tried to destroy it...
13) Despite this ferocious onslaught of destructive forces, over the years no other Book has ignited so many things: sermons, books, journals, discussions orations, magazines, news accounts, works of art, artifacts, sculptures, volumes of encyclopedias, dictionaries, commentaries handbooks, hymnals, etc...No other book has evoked so huge amount of literature in the history of manor ever will...Jesus, who never wrote a book in his life inspired more writings than probably all the other books in the world combined! 14) IN ITS RELIABILITY OF TRANSMISSION: We have 5,300 known Greek Mss.; 10,000 Latin; 9,300 other early versions with parts or portions of copies numbering nearly 24,000. [In comparison, the closest secular document is Iliad by Homer with only 643 mss today]. Scholars are nearly embarrassed by the amount of material from which to work. NOTE: The earliest dates of these copies range from 25 years to 300 years after the original. Compared to the closest secular documents is over 1,000 years after the original piece.
15) TEXTUAL ACCURACY: It has been calculated, and most scholars agree, that 98.33% of today's Bible is exactly like the original. The 2% making up some spelling variations, or style, or scribal lines none of which affect, subject matter, doctrine, teaching, or proof...Compared to as much as 10% major deviations of secular work. 16) Textual accuracy is substantiated by various translations. These translations, (Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, and the over 1200 over languages) can be reconstructed to become witnesses to the same origin. 17) Writings of the early Church Fathers: They so widely quoted the scriptures of both the Old and New Testaments that it has been said that if the Bibles of all the world were to be lost, up to 90% of the entire New Testament could be reproduced from them.
18) The Dead Sea Scrolls which have been out of circulation since 100 years or so before Christ: Attest to the accuracy of most of the Old Testament. Not all of the Old Testament books were found. 19) The Messoretic textual transcription: Scribes counted the letters, counted the center letter of line, and of the whole book. Once they were done with a copy it was considered to be equal to original, due to detailed method of transcribing. They considered it Holy work, on Holy Scriptures... Sir Frederic Kenyon put it, that “The Christian can take the whole Bible in his hand and say without fear or hesitation that he holds in it the true Word of God, handed down without essential loss from generation to generation throughout the centuries.” The Dead Sea Scrolls were found in Israel in caves hidden and out of public use for over 2,000 years. Sir Frederic George Kenyon was a British paleographer, biblical and classical scholar. Educated at Oxford, He was the director of the British Museum. He was also the president of the British Academy from 1917 to 1921. paleographerbiblicalclassicalOxford British Museum British Academy19171921 In 1920, he was appointed president of the British School of Archaeology in Jerusalem.Jerusalem
20) Furthermore, the Bible has another witness to its uniqueness and accuracy that is the Confirmation of Archeology. Over 2500 sites, events, cities, and places have been found. Tens of thousands of people, peoples, nations, kingdoms and tribes have been verified. (Halley's Bible Handbook, New Revised Edition is an excellent source to validate these discoveries in archeology.) Nelson Gluck, a renown Jewish archaeologist, has said there has never been a single archaeological find that has ever controverted a Biblical claim. Archeologists use the Bible to locate sites!
Sir William Ramsey Sir William Ramsay was one of the most skilled archaeologists of his day He had rejected much of the written New Testament account and was determined to prove it false based on other writings of the day that contradicted the Bible. Sir William Ramsay The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1904
He set out to prove the historian Luke wrong, hoping to confirm what many archaeologists had once thought— that the Bible was full of errors. Ramsay believed that the books of Luke and Acts had actually been written in about AD.150 and therefore did not bear the authenticity that a first-century document would have. His archaeological journeys took him to 32 countries, cities, and 9 islands. After some 15 years of intensive study he concluded, “Luke is a historian of the first rank—this author should be placed along with the very greatest of historians. Ramsay himself is regarded as one of the greatest archaeologists of all time.
Archaeologists in the nineteenth century thought the Bible was full of errors. Some popular misconceptions that Ramsay helped correct are as follows: Critics thought that there was no Roman census as indicated in Luke 2:1 Ramsey discovered there was a Roman census every 14 years beginning with Emperor Augustus. Critics thought that Quirinius was not governor of Syria at the time of Jesus’ birth as indicated in Luke 2:2. Ramsey discovered that Quirinius was governor of Syria in about 7 b.c. Critics thought that people did not have to return to their ancestral home as indicated in Luke 2:3. Ramsey discovered that people did have to return to their home city— verified by an ancient Egyptian papyrus giving directions for conducting a census. Critics questioned the existence of the treasurer of the city of Corinth, Erastus (Romans 16:23). Ramsey discovered a city pavement in Corinth bearing the inscription “Erastus, curator of public buildings, laid this pavement at his own expense.” Critics thought that Luke’s reference to Gallio as proconsul of Achaia was wrong (Acts 18:12). Ramsey discovered the Delphi inscription, which reads, “As Lucius Junius Gallio, my friend and proconsul of Achaia...”
Time and time again Ramsay’s search to find evidence that Luke’s writing was in error turned up evidence that it was, in fact, accurate. As a result, Ramsay eventually converted to Christianity His archaeological research added strong support for the authenticity of the Bible. His story is repeated over and over again. Modern day examples would be skeptic Josh McDowell the author of Evidence that Demands a Verdict; Ralph O Muncaster, A Skeptic’s Search For God; Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ…
21) Intermingled with Archeology and History, the Prophetic Word again testifies to the uniqueness of scripture. No other book has ever predicted the coming of its central figure, like the Bible did with Jesus Christ. No other book predicted the history of the world, and the many events in between. A quick study of prophecy and history will affirm anyone’s faith, shake anyone’s skepticism, and show forth the uniqueness of the Bible. In all there are as many as 456 specific prophecies concerning the Christ in His first coming! Some prophecies are repeated by different prophets...
*Blaise Pascal in regards to the Messiah: “If one man alone had made a book of predictions about Jesus Christ, as to the time and the manner, and Jesus Christ had come in conformity to these prophesies, this fact would have infinite weight. But there is much more here. Here is a succession of men during four thousand years, who, consequently and without variation, come, one after another, to foretell this same event.” Legacy: -Pascal's law (an important principle of hydrostatics), and as mentioned above, Pascal's triangle and Pascal's wager still bear his name.Pascal's law -Pascal's development of probability theory was his most influential contribution to mathematics. Originally applied to gambling, today it is extremely important in economics, especially in actuarial science. gamblingeconomicsactuarial science
THESE UNIQUE FACTS AND TESTIMONY ARE TRUE BECAUSE GOD IS THE BIBLE’S AUTHOR, INSPIRER, WATCHDOG, TRANSMITTER TRANSLATOR, AND KEEPER... Now, it has been said, “That one can be a Christian who believes in God, but doesn’t necessarily believe the Bible is inspired, or that the Bible is God's Word, or merely that it contains God’s Word in part...ONE IS NOT TRUSTING GOD IF ONE DOESN’T TRUST GOD’S WORD IN THE BIBLE... This information was gleaned from Josh McDowell's Evidence That Demands A Verdict, Vol. I, [Chapter on Is the Bible Reliable?”]
The Principle of INERRANCY! This is the conviction that the Bible IS the Word of God and is inerrant from the very first verse to the last (In the original languages of Hebrew, Greek & Aramaic). Is there evidence for such an outstanding claim?
Two Proofs! There are two significant and irrefutable proofs that God has given to us to know that He inspired the writings of the Bible and the Prophecy of the Prophets… Go to the icon for Two Proofs on this DVD to find out more…