Presentation on theme: "(1) Makahiki: Creating a Game Engine For Energy Competitions George Lee TechHui 2011 Collaborative Software Development Laboratory University of Hawaii."— Presentation transcript:
(1) Makahiki: Creating a Game Engine For Energy Competitions George Lee TechHui 2011 Collaborative Software Development Laboratory University of Hawaii at Manoa
(3) Energy Competitions Harvard Green Cup was started 35 years ago Static websites with daily/weekly results Oberlin College/Lucid Design Group Building Dashboard Over 170 schools signed up for the campus conservation nationals 2012
(4) Downsides to Lucid’s Software Costs money to set up We want additional modules Activities/Events Raffle Ability to log in using UH credentials We want quick iteration and deployment
(16) Reactions Issues: What do the graphs mean? Is the energy data “actionable”? How can a user influence their standing? What should a user do after they log in? Challenge: Presenting information to users who are unfamiliar with the domain User evaluations?
(17) New Goal: October 2011 New modules User evaluations Mockup evaluation (December) In-lab user evaluations (April and July) Beta evaluation (August) Performance optimizations, etc.
(18) New People Old contributors: Alex Kan, Kelli Sawai, and Nathaniel Ashe Focused on initial design and logging New contributors: Yongwen Xu (PhD student), Nathan Dorman, and Greg Burgess Contributed lots of code used in production