Presentation on theme: "Dead Bones That Live Ezekiel 37:1-14"— Presentation transcript:
1Dead Bones That Live Ezekiel 37:1-14 Aim: To explain the prophecy and lessons we can learn from it.2. Ezekiel is a prophet of God.a. Jeremiah is called the weeping prophetb. We could call Ezekiel the peculiar prophetc. God calls him to prophesy to a bunch of dry bones.3. It is a vision about dry bones coming alive.a. Bones are normally associated with death.b. We have 206 bones in the human bodyc. When we can see our bones it indicates something bad has happened to us.
21. This vision took place during the time that Judah was in Babylonian exile. (CLICK) (map) a. It was a prophecy of the restoration of Judah to the land of Canaan.b. It was fulfilled in the days of Ezra and Nehemiah.2. This is a very unusual prophecy and it still has a message for us today. God can still make dry bones live again.
3Ezekiel 371. The hand of the LORD came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones.2. Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry.
41. God appeared to Ezekiel 2. Brought him in “the Spirit of the Lord” to this valley - likely in a vision3. In this vision, he was set down in the midst of this valley full of bonesB. V. 21. Ezekiel passed by these many bones - indicates that the bodies had not been buried2. They were very dry - which means that had been exposed to the atmosphere for a long period of time.3. They were bleached dry in the sun.
5Ezekiel 373. And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" So I answered, "O Lord GOD, You know.“4. Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD!
61. God asked Ezekiel: Can these bones live ? 2. He does not answer “yes” or “no” but that God alone knows the answer.3. Humanly speaking it was not possible, but Ezekiel answers by saying that God knew.D. v. 41. God commands to Ezekiel - Speak - prophesy to these bones2. Tell them: “Hear the word of the Lord”3. It seems like a useless task.
7Ezekiel 375. 'Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: "Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live.6. "I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the LORD."
81. The Lord would bring the bones together in their natural order and put flesh upon them. 2. Then He would put breath into them so they would be alive.3. When God created Adam from the dust of the ground, he was not alive until God breathed into him the breath of life.4. “Then you shall know that I am the Lord”a. When these bones are brought together and given life, this would help them to know that Jehovah was the one who restored them.b. It was not possible for humans to do this great deed.
9Ezekiel 377. So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and suddenly a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to bone.8. Indeed, as I looked, the sinews and the flesh came upon them, and the skin covered them over; but there was no breath in them.1. Read verses2. Ezekiel preached to the bones and he suddenly heard a noise, rattling of bones coming together.3. Then there was the flesh and skin that came upon the bones.4. But they were not yet alive.
10Ezekiel 379. Also He said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live."10. So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.
11Valley Of Dry Bones 3 1. God commands Ezekiel to prophesy to the wind 2. Tell the breath to come unto these so they will live.3
12The Bones Begin To have Flesh 1. He obeys the command of God.2. The bones with the flesh and skin on them come alive, and stand on their feet.
13They Become A Great Army 1. Then they are a great army ready for battle.
14Ezekiel 3711. Then He said to me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, 'Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!'12. "Therefore prophesy and say to them, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.II. THE EXPLANATION - Ezekiel 37:11-14A. “Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Theyindeed say, 'Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!'” v.111. Israel had been taken into Babylonian captivity2. These dry bones in the valley represent the nation of Israel3. They were feeling that they would never be able to go back to their home (Israel)4. They were cut off and lost, and without hope.B. v. 12 “Therefore prophesy and say to them, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, O Mypeople, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bringyou into the land of Israel.”1. Ezekiel was told to prophesy to the people that God would restore them.2. He will bring you again into the land of Israel, your home.3. “Graves” - would be like their captivity in Babylon.4. Restore or bring them back alive - would be their return to Israel.
15Ezekiel 3713. "Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves.14. "I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken it and performed it," says the LORD.'"C. v. 13 – 14 “Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O Mypeople, and brought you up from your graves.” “I will put My Spirit in you, and youshall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the LORD,have spoken it and performed it,” says the LORD”1. When this happens it will show that God did it.2. There is no way that the people could have done this on their own.3. They would know His power, His love, and His laws.
16God’s Word was fulfilled Ezra 1:1-4Babylonians conquered by PersiansCyrus changed thingsPeople of Israel returnedRebuilt temple and wallsLearned not to worship idolsD. God’s word was fulfilled1. Ezra 1:1-4a. The Babylonians were conquered by the Persiansb. The new King, Cyrus started changing thingsc. He allowed the people to go back to Jerusalem2. Ezekiel 37: God had said they would return3. History tells us that the people did return, and they rebuilt the temple and the city walls.4. They learned never again to worship idols.
181. We may feel like dry Bones “Sin takes a person farther than they meant to go, will cost them more than they meant to pay, and keep them longer than they meant to stay!”No lifeNo HopeNo PromiseNo FutureOutsideOf ChristEph.2:12-13A. Spiritually speaking there are times where we may see ourselves as scorched dry bones in a valley:1. Sin takes us and leaves us as very dry, scorched bones in a valleya. The saying is true – Sin takes a person farther than they meant to go, will cost them more than they meant to pay, and keep them longer than they meant to stay !b. Sin robs our hearts and our lives of good things, and replaces it with ruin and destruction… Leaves us pondering about “what might have been” – Dry scorched bones!c. If you are outside of Christ, the bones in the valley is a great depiction of your state! There’s no life, there’s no hope, there’s no promise, there’s no future!d. (Eph 2:12-13) “that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. (expound)e. But notice the promise in v. 13 for Christians “But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.”
191. We may feel like dry Bones Spiritual lifeReading our BibleWorshippingPrayersPersonal GrowthMatt. 5:6Hunger & ThirstJas. 4:8 “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”2. We may find ourselves as dry bones in a valley in our own personal spiritual livesa. Maybe we know we should read our Bibles, so we do it occasionally, but only because that’s what we’re supposed to do. We find Bible study to be more of a chore than a joyb. Maybe we come to worship but we know our heart is just not in it… We sing, pray, and study but we’re just going through the motions. We just don’t have the desire.c. Maybe our prayers have grown cold. If we pray it’s because we feel guilt from a particular sin or we are about to eat. Our faith is weak & so we may feel like praying is uselessd. Maybe we’ve lost the passion to grow closer to the Lord, to work on those Christian graces and fruits of the Spirit, and to talk to others about Christ.3. If there comes a time in our life where we feel like very dry bones in the valley, know there is power for revival in God and in His word!a. If we want revival, renewal, and a rekindling, we must, frankly, recognize the dryness of our bones(1) Remember the spirit of the faithful remnant in Babylon?(2) They were broken! They went into captivity a proud people but came out a people seeing their need for the Lord!b. It’s one of the great paradoxes of godliness – If we want to live with a passion for God, for spiritual things, for serving God we have to learn to mourn(1) Matt 5:3-6 – Blessed are those that mourn, Hunger and thirst after righteousness(2) Jas 4:8 “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”c. The lost have to see themselves as lost, the weak have to see themselves as weak, and those caught up in sin have to see their sinfulness – Total honesty with themselves and God.d. If we want our flesh healed and bones refreshed, then we have to turn our lives over to the Lord in trust, awe, and submission
201. We may feel like dry Bones Spiritual lifeProv. 3: Trust in the LordGod’s Word can rekindle the fireEze. 37:7 “So I spoke these words from God, just as He told me to...”e. Prov 3:5-8 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil. 8 It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.”4. Can these bones live again? They can if we let God’s word rekindle the fire!a. Psalms 119: 81 “My soul faints for Your salvation, But I hope in Your word.”b. Look at v. 7 from our text – “So I spoke these words from God, just as He told me to…”c. Ezekiel sought and spoke the word from God just as it was and that is what we must do as well – Don’t try to water it down, rationalize it away, improve upon it, apologize for it, or be timid with it… Take & practice it just as it is!5. Gal. 6:9 “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.”6. 2 Thes. 3:13 “But ye brethren, be not weary in well doing.
212. P ower reaching in Ezekiel - prophesy the word of God Bones came alivePower was in the word of GodGod’s Word has the power to Change ThingsB. There is power in preaching – the man preaching does not matter, the power is in God’s Word1. Ezekiel was told to prophesy the word of God.a. When he did, the bones came alive - Ezekiel did not raise the people from the dead. That was God’s work.b. Ezekiel spoke, but the power was in the word of God.c. If Ezekiel had refused to say anything, those bones would still be there.2. God’s Word has the power to change things.
222. PowerinreachingRom. 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.”1. Preachers are to preach the Word because it is the power of God unto Salvationa. Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is thepower of God unto salvation to every believes; for the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”b. The gospel is the most powerful thing in the worldc. It can save a sinner from their sins.
23[energes] - Active, effectual 2. PowerinreachingHeb. 4:12 “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (CLICK)Powerful [Energes] = active, effectual[energes] - Active, effectual
242. Powerinreaching1 Cor. 1:21 “For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.”1. The world thinks preaching is foolish, but God knows better 1 Cor. 1:21 “For after that inthe wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by thefoolishness of preaching to save them that believe.”
25Dead Bones That Live Ezekiel 37:1-14 1. There may be times in life when we feel like we are in a hopeless situation - just as the people of Israel felt while in captivity in Babylon.2. We may be like the dry bones.3. But God can help us to be revived and brought back to life, spiritually4. God’s Word has the power to move people to motivate them to do His will.Ezekiel 37:1-14
26GOD’S SIMPLE PLAN FOR SALVATION Rev. 2:101 PET. 3:21baptismJN. 12:42confessLK. 13:3UNTIL DEATHOBEDIENTrepentJN. 6:29believeACTS 3:22hear