Presentation on theme: "Unit 3 Where Principles Comes First. Background Information （ 1 ） The Hyde School In 1966, Joseph W. Gauld founded the first Hyde School in Bath, Maine."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 3 Where Principles Comes First
Background Information （ 1 ） The Hyde School In 1966, Joseph W. Gauld founded the first Hyde School in Bath, Maine in response to a system of education which he believed was failing its children because of conflicting priorities. His search for a new approach in education led to a program that valued attitude over aptitude, effort over ability, and character over talent. This emphasis creates a learning environment where students experience success with integrity, the kind of success that lasts a lifetime.
Background Information （ 2 ） Bath Bath is an old seafaring town. Its recorded maritime history began only 12 miles down the Kennebec when 400 years ago the first ship built by settlers in the New World was launched. Shipyards once lined the river’s edge and Bath-built vessels sailed the seas of the world. Bath is now the home of the world-class shipbuilder Bath Iron Works.
Background Information （ 3 ） Baltimore Baltimore is a city of northern Maryland on an arm of Chesapeake Bay northeast of Washington, DC. It has been a busy port since the 18th century. A city on the move with new attractions, Baltimore is an exciting city with charming neighborhoods, ethnic and cultural diversity, and a wealth of history.
Background Information （ 4 ） New Haven Less than four centuries ago the area which is now New Haven was the home of a small tribe of Native Americans, the Quinnipiack, who built their villages around the harbor. By the time theRevolutionary War began, New Haven had evolved from a colonial village into a growing town of about 3,500 that would contribute men, financial support and arms to the revolutionary cause. New Haven’s economy flourished during the Civil War era.
Text Structure Analysis: Part One (Para 1-2): To feed the reader’s curiosity about “Where Principles Come First”, the author starts his article with an introduction to the principles on which the Hyde School operates. Part Two (Para 3-11): Since the Hyde principles are somewhat different from those of other schools, they are rejected by some schools, as described in Para. 3, and appreciated by others, as described in Paras. 4 – 11. Part Three (Para 12-16): This part deals with detailed principles and approaches in the Hyde School program: valuing each student’s character-based unique potential, and requiring both students’ responsibility for each other and parents’ commitment to the program. Part Four (Para 17-20): This part is about how beneficial or good the program is to both the teachers and the students.
The text is about the Hyde School’s successful search for a new approach in education, which is centered upon teaching students the merit of such values as truth, integrity, leadership, curiosity and concern. Summary of the Text:
publicity cultivate comprehensive suspend over parents’ protest minority quest conventional reform controversy complete with session do the utmost outset kind of Words and Expressions
When the news media and the public show a lot of interest in something, you can say that it is receiving publicity. 当新闻媒体和公众对某事物表现出很大兴趣是， 你 就可以说这事引起了公众关注。 He always tries to avoid publicity. 他总是避免公众注意。 1.L 1.L 1. publicity: notice or attention from the public or news media （ para 1 ）
2. cultivate: develop, improve; prepare land and grow crops on it (para 2) He has written eight books and has cultivated the image of a popular writer. 他写了八本小说，由此树立了通俗小说家的形象。 She also cultivated a small garden of her own. 她自己也种了一小块菜地。
3. comprehensive: including everything or nearly everything (Para2) The store offers a comprehensive range of kitchen equipment. 这家商店卖的厨房用具很齐全。 a guidebook giving comprehensive information on the area 一本提供了该地区综合信息的导游书
4. suspend : 1.stop or delay sth for a tiem; 2. hang sth up; 3. send sb away from school, work etc.(Para3). Some rail services were suspended during the strike. 罢工期间，有些铁路服务终止了。 A lamp was suspended from the ceiling. 天花板上吊着一盏灯。 He was suspended from school. 他被开除离校。
5. over parents ’ protests: in spite of one ’ s protest (Para4) A nuclear plant was built in the area over the farmers’ protests. 一座核电厂不顾农民的反对在这个地区建了起来。 The nurse gave the boy an injection over his protest. 护士不顾男孩的抗议给他打了一针。
6. minority: (1) a group of people of a different race or religion ; (2) the smaller number or part of a group (Para4) Schools in Britain need to do more to help children of ethnic minorities. 英国学校需要给予少数名族儿童更多的帮助。 These troubled students are only a small minority. 这些有问题的学生只是少数。
7. quest : a long search for sth that is difficult to find(Para5) … Tom spent his life on a spiritual quest. 汤姆毕生都在进行一种精神追求。 His quest to find true love really moved us 。 他对真爱的追求真的让我们感动。
8. conventional: following what is traditional (Para12) The house was built with conventional materials but in a totally new style. 房屋用的是传统建筑材料，但风格确是全新 的。 I quite like him but he’s so conventional. 我很喜欢她，只是她非常守旧。
9. reform: change sth in order to make it better; behave better (Para12) You have to reform the management of the company. 你得改革公司的管理制度。 Our prisons aim to reform criminals, not simply to punish them. 我们的监狱旨在改造罪犯，而不仅仅是惩罚他 们。
10. controversy: public discussion and disagreement about sth (Para12) The plan for changing the city centre caused a great deal of controversy. 市中心的改建计划引起很多争议。 There is a political controversy over human rights abuses in the community. 社会上有关于滥用人权的政治争议。
11. complete with: including; having as an additional part (Para13) There is a good hotel not far from the city, complete with swimming pool and garden leading directly to the beach. 离城市不远有个很好的旅馆，带有游泳池和通向海滩 的花园。 Our firemen came, complete with rescue equipment, first aid kit, etc. 消防队员来了，带有救援器械和医疗急救箱等。
12.session : a period of time or meeting; a meeting or series of meeting (Para14) The two leaders emerged for the photo session. 照相时来了两个领导。 The court was in session. 法庭开庭了。
13. do the utmost : try/ do one’s best (para 14) Joe and Malcolm Gauld both say children tend to do their utmost He will try his utmost to help them by means of his conventional medical knowledge. 他会尽力用他所知道的传统医疗知识来帮助他们。 I did my utmost to help. 我已尽力帮忙。
14. outset : beginning (Para15). You should decide at the outset what kind of learning program you want to follow. 你一开始就应该决定你要选择什么样的课程。 From the outset he had put his trust in me, the son of his old friend. 一开始他就很信任我 — 他老朋友的儿子。
15. kind of : informal, rather, a little bit (Para20) I’m kind of worried about the interview. 我对面试有点担心。 I’m kind of tired from reading. 我读书读得有点累了。
Questions for discussion 1. What are the principles? (Paras. 1-2) 2. Are they accepted by other schools?(Paras.3-11) 3. What are the Hyde’s detailed principles and approaches?(Paras.12-16) 4. Are they beneficial to children?(Paras.17-20) (Para. 17 is about how beneficial they are to teachers while Paras about how successful they are to the students.)
Writing( 分析建议类） 1) I am delighted (distressed) to find there have been favorable(unfavorable) changes in … ( 议论的主题 ) since I came here. 2) From my angle of view, these changes indicate that what you have done is in (out of) line with...( 作者的态度 ) 3) In the long run, they will produce more positive (negative) effect on... 4) Such desirable (undesirable) changes can be found in the aspects as follows. 5) First, … （划线部分可替换）
Writing( 分析建议类） ( 分析 I)6 ） Second,... ( 分析 II) 7 ） And best(worst) of all, …( 分析 III) 8)... ( 进一步阐述 ) 9) But all the foregoing does not mean that there is little room for further improvement in …(that there is little you can do about …)10) Instead, to enrich (reverse)…, a richer variety (a better health) can be added to …( 建议 I) 11) And meanwhile,... ( 建 议 II) 12) It should be born in mind that … ( 结论句 ) （划线部分可替换）
Writing( 分析建议类） A Letter to the College President 1. 就学校的某些变化给校长写封信 2. 分析变化主要表现在哪些方面 3. 提出（进一步）改进的意见
Writing(model ） 1) I am delighted to find there have been favorable changes in our campus life since I came here. 2) From my angle of view, these changes indicate what you have done is in line with the interests of undergraduates. 3) In the long run, they will produce more positive effect on our growth. 4) Such desirable changes can be found in the aspects as follows. 5) First, our dining
Writing (model ） conditions have turned for the better, thus ending our everyday worry about where to satisfy our hunger. 6) Second, your faculties have paid as much attention to our emotional world as to our intellectual growth, which in turn lends much warmth of family to our life. 7) And best of all, we find the campus a more pleasant place to live on. 8) As a result of your efforts, we now have more places to go to for recreation, such as cafes, net bars, fitness centers and reading rooms.
Writing(model ） 9) But all the foregoing does not mean that there is little room for further improvement in our college life. 10) Instead, to enrich our life here to the fullest, a richer variety should be added to our spare time as well as our curriculums. 11) And meanwhile, we should be allowed more access to scientific research, social practice and the frontier of our own fields. 12) It should be born in mind that the purpose of our college life is to prepare us for the different needs of tomorrow’s society.