Presentation on theme: "9. Access to Grace Romans 5:1-11 p. 1040 – 1041 Romans:"— Presentation transcript:
9. Access to Grace Romans 5:1-11 p – 1041 Romans:
The Main Point... Choosing titles is challenging T itle: “Access to Grace” (v 2) “Justified by Faith” (v 1); “Peace with God” (v 1) “Hope of Glory” (v 2); “Love Poured out” (v 5) All are part of the point Paul is making! Where we have come from: Paul’s identity and purpose Not ashamed of the Gospel because it brings salvation God “righteoused” sinners through Jesus By FAITH (e.g. The life of Abraham)
1. Benefits of Love We have been “righteoused” through faith (v 1) Justice was done! God credited faith as righteousness – Debited sins to Jesus We have peace with God (v 1) Hebrew concept of Shalom Everything as it should be
1. Benefits of Love... Gained access by faith into Grace (v 2) Right of entry and assurance of welcome !!! Boast in the Hope of the Glory of God (v 2) Sin: People refused to give God Glory (1:21) We fall short [lack] glory (3:23) Hope – assurance of what is to come. Not exaggeration, right acknowledgement of reality Has an element of security.
1. Benefits of Love... We glory [boast] even in our sufferings (v 3) We are “righteoused” through his blood (v 9) We are saved from “the wrath” (v 9) God’s wrath is being revealed against sin (1:18) God’s wrath is redirected to Christ (3:25) We have been reconciled to Him (v 9, 11) THROUGH the Death of his Son (v 10)
2. Demonstration of Love First time “love” [agape] is used in Romans !! God’s love is poured out (v 5) God demonstrates his love (v 8) Two couplets (v 6, 8) When we still powerless... Christ died for the ungodly While we were still sinners... Christ died for us Deserving of “God’s wrath” (v 9) “God’s enemies” (v 10) God’s love is greater than any human love Imagine what God will do for his friends !!
3. Experience of Love What about the present? Trials and suffering are a reality They are beneficial – prove our character, bring hope BECAUSE God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (v 5) Must not sell ourselves short on our birthright Crystal Cathedral and gospel of self-esteem We should draw near to God! (Heb 10:22)
Living in Love Seek to experience the love of God in the Spirit