Presentation on theme: "TEXT A The Battle Against AIDS go UNIT 5. The Battle Against AIDS Useful Expressions Text Interpretation Sentence Structure Translation Practice Structured."— Presentation transcript:
1. Warm-up questions Here are a few facts about HIV in the UK: Over 90% of people with HIV were infected through sexual contact. You can now get tested for HIV using a saliva sample HIV is not passed on through spitting, biting or sharing utensils. Only 1% of babies born to HIV positive mothers have HIV. You can get the results of an HIV test in just 15-20 minutes. There is no vaccine and no cure for HIV.
2. Comprehension questions 1. What is the fastest growing group infected with AIDS? 2. What are reasons why some local organizations emerged? 3. What are the ways to combat AIDS discussed in the passages? 4. What should people do to win the war against AIDS? 5. More on p64
3. Detailed reading 1. Another 185,000 of the one million infected with the HIV virus are expected to die within the next year. 2. Nearly half of those diagnosed with the virus are blacks and Latinos. 3. Like many local governments, this org suffers from a lack of money, forcing it to use its resource creatively. 4. She also keeps books around so customers can read them while waiting for their appointments. 5. The org has developed several techniques useful to other groups doing the similar work. 3. Detailed reading
6. While no one way of winning the war against AIDS exists, the network shares lessons learned in its battle. 7. Many communities have low literacy rate, making impossible passing out AIDS literature. 8. They also show people who look like those we need to educate, since people can relate more when … 9. They make it simple and explain the risk of catching AIDS to friends their own age much better. 10. According to … women will make up 80 percent of those diagnosed with HIV. 3. Detailed reading
Matthew Lien - Bressanone 马修 · 连恩 - 布列瑟农 Here I stand in Bressanone 我站在布列瑟农的星空下 With the stars up in the sky 伴随着似锦繁星 Are they shinning over the Brenner 它们布雷纳在上空闪耀着 And upon the other side 也同时照亮着那一边 You will be a sweet surrender 请你轻柔的放手 I must go the other way 因为我必须远走 And my train will carry me onward 尽管我的列车会载我到天涯 Though my heart will surely stay 但我的心将永远和你相守 4. Song: Bressanone
Wo, my heart will surely stay 哦，我的心将永远和你相守 Now the clouds are flying by me 云儿伴着我的脚步 And the moon is on the rise 月儿也露出了忧伤的脸 I have left the stars behind me 我将星辰抛在身后 They were diamonds in your skies 它们是点亮你天空的钻石 You will be a sweet surrender 请你轻柔的放手 I must go the other way 因为我必须远走 And my train will carry me onward 尽管我的列车会载我到天涯 Though my heart would surely stay 但我的心将永远和你相守 Wo, my heart would surely stay 哦，我的心将永远和你相守 4. Song: Bressanone
1. Attributive Clause 定语从句 先行词 + 关系词（代词或副词） 2. Despite such alarming numbers, the federal and state governments have been slow in implementing programs to stop the spread of AIDS. Sentence Structure
1.I hope that the effort that we’ve made will be of some use to the battle against AIDS. 2.Despite all the efforts from the local organizations in the battle against AIDS, the number of people in rural areas diagnosed with AIDS has been increasing. 3.Please turn off the TV, because the noise will distract her from her homework. 4.It was a long time before the company implemented the program to improve the quality of its goods because of lack of money and necessary equipment. Translation Practice
5.You’d better learn something about the course before signing up for it. 6.The policy is playing a more and more important role in promoting the development of the local economy.
Problem: Increase in city population Housing problem Solution: Pull down one-family houses Build tall buildings Make use of the space in the air Evaluation: Help solve housing problem Structured Writing
Reading for major details Facts and details can help develop the main idea. Not all facts are of the same importance. Major details are important. First the main idea, then the major detail. Separate the major detail from minor details. Reading Skill