Presentation on theme: "TEXT A The Trashman go UNIT 6. The Trashman Useful Expressions Text Interpretation Sentence Structure Translation Practice Structured Writing Reading."— Presentation transcript:
1. Warm-up questions 1. What is your impression on trashmen? 2. Do you have any low opinion of trashmen? 3. What other jobs are often looked down upon? 4. What kinds of work do you want to do? 5. What jobs do you not want to take? 6. What if you don’t like your job?
2. Comprehension questions 1. Did the trashman expect joy in his job when he took it? 2. How did people respond in most cases when the trashman said hello to them? 3. For what did the trashman take the job at first? 4. How did the trashman think of his job later? 5. Why did the trashman change his mind to stay at the job? 6. What does the quotations from John Gardner mean?
3. Detailed reading 1. Steve and I hauled trash for four solid hours continuously, except for about five minutes when we stopped to talk. 2. I could not have imagined there would be joy in this. 3. I though this might mean more exchanges as I made the rounds today. 4. I was shocked to find that this wasn’t the case. 5. I said hello in quite a few yards before the message registered that this wasn’t normally done. 3. Detailed reading
6. The way most people look at you, you’d think a trashman was a monster. Say “hello” and they stare at you in surprise. 7. Who are you to say what goes? You are nothing but a trashman. 8. I’m not ashamed of it, but I don’t go around boasting about it either. 9. I left this country a little cleaner than I found it this morning. 10. Neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water. 3. Detailed reading
Matthew Lien - Bressanone 马修 · 连恩 - 布列瑟农 Here I stand in Bressanone 我站在布列瑟农的星空下 With the stars up in the sky 伴随着似锦繁星 Are they shinning over the Brenner 它们布雷纳在上空闪耀着 And upon the other side 也同时照亮着那一边 You will be a sweet surrender 请你轻柔的放手 I must go the other way 因为我必须远走 And my train will carry me onward 尽管我的列车会载我到天涯 Though my heart will surely stay 但我的心将永远和你相守 4. Song: Bressanone
Wo, my heart will surely stay 哦，我的心将永远和你相守 Now the clouds are flying by me 云儿伴着我的脚步 And the moon is on the rise 月儿也露出了忧伤的脸 I have left the stars behind me 我将星辰抛在身后 They were diamonds in your skies 它们是点亮你天空的钻石 You will be a sweet surrender 请你轻柔的放手 I must go the other way 因为我必须远走 And my train will carry me onward 尽管我的列车会载我到天涯 Though my heart would surely stay 但我的心将永远和你相守 Wo, my heart would surely stay 哦，我的心将永远和你相守 4. Song: Bressanone
1. Saturday meant most adults were at home on the route. So are the school-age children. I can’t play the piano. Nor/Neither can Ann. 2. The lifting gets easier with every load, even if my shoulder muscle is sore. Sentence Structure
1.The police got to the station five minutes after the explosion, and so did the reporters. 2.Even if you disagree with her, she is worth listening to. 3.The news reporters were given nothing but bare facts by the officials in charge of investigation. 4.The room was well decorated, but the color of the curtain did not go well with overall style. Translation Practice
5.Whenever we go back to the place where my husband was born, we always make the rounds of his relatives. 6.Contrary to his hope, his girlfriend’s parents are not as approachable as his parents.
General statement: People come to Beijing for different purposes. Supporting examples: foreign students foreign businessmen travellers Structured Writing
Understanding idiomatic expressions The meaning of idiomatic expressions can be very hard to guess. Word structure doesn’t always help, and can even fool us entirely! But good readers don’t give up on the first try. They keep reading, in search of contextual clues —examples, explanations, opposites, or similar phrases —that can help theme figure our the meaning of idiomatic expressions. Reading Skill