Presentation on theme: "This title is for centering. All three lines should be present. This title is for centering. All three lines should be present. This title is for centering."— Presentation transcript:
This title is for centering. All three lines should be present. This title is for centering. All three lines should be present. This title is for centering. All three lines should be present.
Sponsor The official sponsor of [your opera]
Please unwrap candies and turn off cell phones at this time. Photography or recording of any kind is strictly prohibited. Supertitles provided by Chadwick Creative Arts
- Madame Marthe Schwerlein, if you please? - Who is calling?
Pardon us for presenting ourselves at your home! (You see how she welcomed the jewels?)
- Madame Marthe Schwerlein? - Here I am!
The news I come to bring you will not brighten your mood.
Madam, your husband is dead… …and sends his greetings.
- Oh great God! - What is wrong? - Nothing.
Oh calamity! Oh unforeseen news!
- Despite myself, seeing him makes my heart tremble! - The fever of my senses dissipates at her sight!
Do you bring me nothing of him?
Nothing! And to punish him, it is necessary from today onward to find a replacement!
- Why are you removing the jewels? - These jewels are not for me. Let me be, I beg you.
Who would not be happy to exchange a wedding ring with you?
- Oh, bah! I beg your pardon? - Alas! Cruel destiny!
- Take my arm, just for a moment… - Leave me be, I beg you!
- Your arm! - He's charming!
(This one's been left on the vine too long!)
- A soul, kind and pure… - She's a ripe one… - I beseech you! - What noble bearing!
- So, you're always traveling? - Always. A difficult necessity, madam!
Without friends, parents, or a woman!
That may suit your younger days, but later it is sad to age alone, selfishly!
I admit, I have shuddered often at this horrible thought!
Before time passes you by, worthy lord, think on it well!
- I will think on it! - Think on it well!
- What? You are always alone? - My brother is a soldier, and I have lost my mother.
Then there was another misfortune. I lost my little sister!
Poor angel! She was so dear to me! She was all I cared about!
So much care, alas, so much pain!
It is when our souls are so filled by them, that Death comes to take them from us.
As soon as she awakened, she wanted me there! She loved only Marguerite!
To see her, the poor little one, I would endure it all again!
If heaven, with a smile, made her to resemble you…
She was an angel. Yes, I believe it.
- Are you mocking me? - You're not hearing! - No, I admire you! - Don't accuse me!
- I don't believe you! - Quietly you're laughing at me! - Let me take your arm… - Don't accuse me if I must leave!
- I am wrong to stay, and yet… - At me you quietly laugh! - My heart speaks, listen! - If I must, alas, be on my way…
- I am wrong, yet I'm listening. - Why do you hasten to go? - Why so afraid to listen? - I'd prefer to stay, listening to you.