Presentation on theme: "Conflict. What is Conflict? Conflict is the struggle or clash between opposing characters or forces. Conflicts may be external: firefighter vs. fire internal:"— Presentation transcript:
What is Conflict? Conflict is the struggle or clash between opposing characters or forces. Conflicts may be external: firefighter vs. fire internal: firefighter vs. his or her fear or
Conflict An internal conflict is a struggle that takes place within or INSIDE a character’s mind or heart. Characters struggle with themselves to make decisions. Should I do my homework or go to the football game? Should I join the crowd or stand up for my beliefs? What is the best choice????
Conflict An internal conflict is a struggle that takes place within or INSIDE a character’s mind or heart. Peak must decide whether to summit Everest or let SunJo get the glory. Katniss struggles with whether to run away with Gale or stay. Bella struggles between Edward and Jacob.
Conflict An external conflict may be a struggle between Character vs. Character Character vs. Society Character vs. Nature Character vs. Fate
Conflict A struggle between two or more characters in a story. Stanley Yelnats vs. Mr. Sir Katniss vs. the Tributes The Cullens vs. Victoria Peak vs. Josh (his father)
Conflict A struggle between a character and the laws or beliefs of a group of people. Peak vs. NYC Civil Rights Hoot –Kids vs. Big Company Katniss vs. The Capitol (the berries)
Conflict A struggle between a character and some part of the environment. Peak vs. Mt. Everest Katniss vs. The arena
Conflict A struggle between a character and some unseen force that seems to be controlling events in the story. Stanley Yelnats vs. his family curse Percy Jackson vs. his fate as a half God
8. Character vs. ? “If she had only proceeded more slowly. If she had only taken the Southerly route, avoiding the icebergs. If only the watch had had a pair of binoculars.” (news story about the Titanic)
9. Character vs. Charles decided to break all the rules the day he decided to steal that car. He was immediately arrested and sent to jail to await his trial. He should have known better than to mess with the “rules.”
10. Character vs. “I don’t care who you talk to!” screamed Sarah to Wes. “I just wish I had never met you!”
11. Character vs. After the light in the cave was completely gone Tom began to stumble through the cave blindly cutting his hands on what appeared to be sharp rocks.
12. Character vs. Tom found a dry spot to sit down in the dark and began to feel guilty over an argument he had had earlier in the day with his mother in which he had said, “I hope I never see you again!”
13. Character vs. Tom’s mother was upset that he wanted to skip going to college in order to go exploring in all of the world’s greatest caves before he turned thirty. Tom didn’t understand what the big deal was and wanted to run his own life.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.