Presentation on theme: "WPI CS534 Showcase Jeff Martin. * Computer Software on Deep Space 1 * Used to execute plans/mission objectives * Model based * Constraint based * Fault."— Presentation transcript:
* Computer Software on Deep Space 1 * Used to execute plans/mission objectives * Model based * Constraint based * Fault tolerant
* Remote agent was a result of the New Millennium Program * This program was established to test technologies that would be used in Space  * Remote Agent was created from the join effort from : * NASA's Ames Research Center * JPL (Cal Tech's Jet Propulsion Labratory * Was First tested on NewMaap  * New Millennium Autonomous Architecture Rapid Prototype * First Version was developed in 5 months. * Its goals where to plan and execute entry through Saturn's Rings and define an orbit * Was field tested on DS1 
* To perform decisions on a space craft without interaction from ground controllers * Will allow faster response time to environment conditions * To be used when communication to ground control is not possible
* "Planner/Scheduler” * Execution component: called "Smart Executive” * "Mode Identification and Recovery (MIR)"
* Database of mission objectives(goals) * Creates Plans for mission objectives for next timeline * Define the operations (activities) that are needed to meet the objectives * Ex: while one operation is performed another cannot be * New Plan requests * Normal conditions * Requests new plan based on horizon * Fault conditions * Requests new plan if detected issue will effect future execution * Decisions made based on potential outcomes * Running more equipment then available power
* Makes initial request for a plan * executes operations that meet the objectives from the plan devised by the planner * Space craft component operations * Makes decisions on what to do in the event the outcome is not successful * taking a picture of an object * Attempts to recover (Retry, recovery from MIR, await replanning)
* Mode Identification and recovery * Monitors state of the systems on the Spacecraft * receives sensor data * compares to expected model * Recognizes problems * Requests actions to correct to Smart Executive * Reports Failures to Smart Executive
* The FAQ Site says no  * MEDIA Relations press release say "the first artificial Intelligence software in history to command a spacecraft"  * It is expected to handle situations that are unexpected, given current circumstances
* Provided in the notes section of each slide * Main References: * http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/tech/asr/planning-and-scheduling/remote- agent/ http://ti.arc.nasa.gov/tech/asr/planning-and-scheduling/remote- agent/ * http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mers/papers/ieee-aero.pdf http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mers/papers/ieee-aero.pdf * Peter Norvig was an Affiliate member of the team.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.