Presentation on theme: "Unit 4 Fresh Start. Contents Lead-in part 1 Text structure 2 Sentence study 3 Words & phrases 4 Translation 5."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 4 Fresh Start
Contents Lead-in part 1 Text structure 2 Sentence study 3 Words & phrases 4 Translation 5
Lead-in part 1
Brainstorming Question Do you think what is fresh start in your life?
Text structure 2
genre Macro- structure Micro- structure Contents narration Contents who /when /where/ what/ why /how Contents a)Sentence study b)Words & phrases c)Other information
I. Introduction How I felt the first day on campus. (Para.1) 1) I was wondering what I was doing. 2) I was standing pitifully. 3) It seemed that everyone on campus was watching me. 4) I hoped no one would notice I was a freshman.
II. Mistakes I made on my first class day and my reaction (Para.2~7) 1) The first mistake I made: I went to the wrong class. (Para. 2~4) 2) The second mistake I made: I stepped in a puddle of ketchup, dropped the food tray and fell to the ground. (Para. 5~6) 3) My reaction: I avoid going to the cafeteria, feeling ashamed. (Para. 7)
III. The mistake made by another college student: he also dropped the food tray and fell to the ground. (Para.8) His reaction to it: He seemed to feel that nothing serious had happened.
IV. My thoughts on making mistakes (Para.9~12) 1)It didn’t matter if one made mistakes in college. (Para. 9~11) 2) Making mistakes is forgivable even after graduation. (Para. 12)
Sentence study 3
1.I decided I wanted nothing more than to find my way safely to my dorm room. (Line 2) want nothing more than to do… 只想做 ······
She told me at the other end of the telephone line that she wanted nothing more than to listen to my voice again. 她在电话的那一端告诉我她只想再听听我的声音。 目前，我只想把英语学好，通过四级考试。 Now, I want nothing more than to study English well and pass the CET-4.
我决定我最想做的就是要好好地回到寝室。 1.I decided I wanted nothing more than to find my way safely to my dorm room. (Line 2)
2. Keep my ears open and my mouth shut (line 4) We’d better keep our ears open and our mouth shut in an unfamiliar situation. It means Listen but no speaking
3. A cold sweat broke out on the back of my neck (line 10) break out 1) suddenly become covered in sth
2)Happen suddenly 3)suddenly begin to show strong feelings 4)escape from a place by using force The WWII broke out in She broke out in a rage. Scofield broke out of the prison with his brother and the other prisoners.
4.Forget it (line 14) 1) don’t mind it 2) don’t even think about it
5.My food tray tipped and I lost my balance V. Lean on one side
Tip n. 1) the end of sth. On the tip of one’s tongue The tip of the iceberg
2)Small sum of money given to a waiter, taxi driver 3)Small but useful piece of practical advice
6. So off to the cafeteria I went (line 30) So I went off to the cafeteria 倒装用法的使用，强调戏剧性场景的发生 地．
7. My heart went out to him (line 35) I sympathize him very much
8. And that’s when I realized I had been taking myself far too seriously (line 39) Take sb. far too seriously: pay much attention to sb. You have been taking yourself far too seriously, nobody notice you.
Far adv. =much, 用在 “too+adj./adv.” ， 或 adj./adv. 的比较级之前 1)The old man walks far too fast. 2)She is a far better student than her brother.
Words & phrases 4
1. await (Line 7, Para. 2) 和 wait 的词义辨析 两词均含有 “ 等待 ” 之意， Don’t wait if I am late. Many enthusiastic fans were waiting for famous singer Jay Chow to arrive at the airport. wait (vi.) 着重指静候于某处，直到期待之人， 物或事物的来临或出现。很少用作及物动词。 许多热心的歌迷正在机场等待着著名歌手周杰伦的 到来。 万一我来晚了，不要等我。
await (vt.) 有时可与 wait 互换，但 await 的语气更为 正式，常用于书面语中，往往着重指不断等待认 为必然会出现的人或事，有时含耐心之意。 Success never comes to those who await it idly. 成功决不会降临到那些坐等的人身上。 All people were awaiting their king to return. 所有的民众都在等待着他们的国王的归来。