Presentation on theme: "Kaleidoscope With your assigned partner, go over the “Facing Death, Evaluating Life” responses."— Presentation transcript:
Kaleidoscope With your assigned partner, go over the “Facing Death, Evaluating Life” responses.
1. The captain The captain remains quiet for quite some time: when he does break radio silence to urge that they make a plan, he gets chastised by Applegate who says he was a bad captain and ran a bad ship. That’s the last we hear from him.
2. Stone Stone is scared and confused, “good God, I’m falling,” but also practical and somewhat resigned (he calculates that they have approximately one hour to talk.) When we hear from him at the end of the story, we find out that he is Hollis one true friend and that he has been swept into a meteor swarm. His moving description of the kaleidoscopic beauty of the cluster suggests his philosophical demeanor.
3. Stimson Stimson’s final phrases suggest his fear and ultimately his denial of the situation.
4. Applegate Initially, Applegate is coldly objective, cruel to both the Captain and Hollis but towards the end of the story, he repends and makes amends. He realizes that dying, full of hate and bitterness is pointless and wrong.
5. Lespere Continually reminiscing about a life filled with living, Lespere is happy falling to his death because he lived a good, full life and never resorts to meanness in the end.
6. Hollis Initially, Hollis is in shock, but then he starts taking charge and turning cruel. He tries to comfort Stimson and then yells at him to shut up: he puts one of the screaming men out of his misery by smashing his mask: he fights with Applegate and taunts Lespere. It is only after Lespere confronts Hollis with his own meanness that Hollis recognizes what he is doing and breaks down. He realizes that he hasn’t truly lived for several years. Just before dying, he hopes to do one good thing- a sign that he has truly reformed.
Kaleidoscope How might Hollis and Applegate’s lives been different if they realized these last minute truths years before?
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.