Presentation on theme: "Preparing for the Storms of Life By Robert C. Archer."— Presentation transcript:
Preparing for the Storms of Life By Robert C. Archer
Things to Realize Storms will come –Paul – illness –David’s – children (incest, murder, rebellion) –Jeremiah – persecution
Things to Realize We may or may not be delivered –Paul wasn’t delivered from his thorn in the flesh –David’s children didn’t repent –Judah never accepted Jeremiah’s teaching
How Do We Prepare?
( 1) Go deeper in our relationship with God Many are just as likely to go to false religion or to a fortune teller as well as God. – –Remember King Saul? (1 Sam. 28)
1) Go deeper in our relationship with God Not so with Job! When trials came to Job, he was prepared –The devil took away his wealth and children –He said 21 And he said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21)
1) Go deeper in our relationship with God When his wife told him to “curse God and die!” He said: 10 …"You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips. (Job 2:10)
Go deeper in our relationship with God When looking to the future, Job said – 10 But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. – 11 My foot has held fast to His steps; I have kept His way and not turned aside. – 12 I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food. (23:10-12)
When Job was accused of sin He defended himself –Pure (Job 31:1) –Truthful (Job 31:5-6) –Just (Job 31:13-15) –Right values (Job 31:24-28) –Kind (Job 31:29-30) –Honest (Job 31:33-34) Job was prepared to face - ?
(2) Go deeper in the knowledge of God’s word If we have knowledge of God’s Word – it will help us understand that storms have a purpose. –Testing – Abraham (Gen. 22)
(2) Go deeper in the knowledge of God’s word Storms have a purpose of –Purifying 1 Peter 1:5-7 6 …you have been grieved by various trials, 7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
(2) Go deeper in the knowledge of God’s word Storms have a purpose of –Maturing 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. (Jas. 1:3)
(2) Go deeper in the knowledge of God’s word Treasure up His great promises –“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” (Heb. 13:5)
(3) Go deeper in prayer Many never pray until trouble comes When Jesus was in trouble, He prayed, –"My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death… 39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will." (Matt. 26:38-39)
(3) Go deeper in prayer When Paul sought help in time of need, He asked three times to be relieved of his infirmity – God said, – … "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor. 12:8-10)
(4) Develop a deep conviction concerning the next life Jesus, Mary and Martha –John 11:21-26 21 Then Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died. – 22 But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You." – 23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again." – 24 Martha said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day." – 25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. – 26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?" – (Jno. 11:21-26)
(4) Develop a deep conviction concerning the next life Paul said, 12 For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. (2 Tim. 1:12)
Conclusion How do we prepare? –Deeper relationship with God –Deeper understanding of God’s word –Deeper in prayer –Deeper in our conviction of the next life Are you prepared?