Essay #2 (cont.) PROS treat disorders like spinal damage, Parkinson’s disease, leukemia Make heart and nerve tissue in the lab
Essay #2 CONS Use embryos (kill them) Click on Creating Stem Cells Click on Creating Stem Cells Don’t have a lot of success yet Who funds it (private v. government)
1. Sexual and Asexual ASEXUAL One parent Two Identical offspring SEXUAL Two parents 4 different offspring
2. Chromatin, chromosomes, chromatids (all DNA + protein) Interphase – loose chromatin Prophase –tightly coiled sister chromatids form through metaphase Anaphase + Telophase –sister chromatids separate to single chromosomes
3. Nucleosomes and Histones 8 histone proteins are wrapped with chromosomes to tightly coil into chromatids Histones + chromosomes = nucleosome DNA packaging, 3D animation with advanced narration and labels :: Dolan DNA Learning CenterDNA packaging, 3D animation with advanced narration and labels :: Dolan DNA Learning Center
What phase? Centrioles move to opposite poles Prophase Spindle fibers form Prophase Cell plate forms Cytokinesis/Telophase
Which phase? Chromosomes line up at the equator metaphase Cytoplasm divides Cytokinesis/Telophase Nucleoli break down Prophase Nucleoli reform Telophase
15. As the cell increases in size The surface area to volume ratio decreases
16. Why do cells divide? cell membrane could not keep up with bringing in enough oxygen/nutrients DNA can’t keep up
17. How many chromosomes Are in each human body cell? 46
18. How many times is the reduction In length of the chromatid than it is in the chromosome form? 10,000 times
19. A cell spends what % of time in interphase? 90%
20. What is the purpose of p53? It is the tumor suppressor gene. p53 animation + Rediscovering Biology - Animation Archive p53 animationRediscovering Biology - Animation Archive It checks that the DNA is OK. If not, it repairs it or kills the cell. IF it is faulty, it leads to a lot of cancer.
21. How does a cell respond to growth When it comes in contact with other cells? Stops growing
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.