Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Permitted up to 1% of MPS Enrollment to Attend Non Sectarian Private Schools in 1990-91 SY No More Than 49% of School’s Enrollment Could be Voucher Students.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Permitted up to 1% of MPS Enrollment to Attend Non Sectarian Private Schools in 1990-91 SY No More Than 49% of School’s Enrollment Could be Voucher Students."— Presentation transcript:

1 Permitted up to 1% of MPS Enrollment to Attend Non Sectarian Private Schools in SY No More Than 49% of School’s Enrollment Could be Voucher Students Income Eligibility 175% of Federal Poverty Level Program Funded Totally By Reducing State Aid Paid to MPS

2 At Least 70% of the Pupils in the Program Must Advance One Grade Level Each Year Average Attendance Rate for Pupils in Program Must be at at least 90% At Least 80% of the Pupils In the Program Must Demonstrate Significant Academic Progress At Least 70% of Families Must Meet School’s Parent Participation Criteria

3 Program was Not Private or Local School Law Improperly Enacted As Part of Budget Bill Appropriate Experimental Legislation Aimed at Improving Educational Opportunities for Low Income Students in Milwaukee

4 Allow a Maximum of 1.5% of MPS Enrollment Permitted Up to 65% of School’s Population to be Voucher Students

5 Authorized Religious Schools to Participate in the Program Increased Enrollment Maximum to 7% of MPS Population for SY and 15% in Subsequent Years Restrictions on Number of Voucher Students at Individual School was Removed

6 Program Did Not Violate Wisconsin’s Constitutional Provision Against Spending State Fund for Religious Purposes. Program Did Not Violate US Constitution’s First Amendment Guarantee of Separation of Church and State

7 The Government’s Expenditure Must Have a Legitimate Secular Purpose It Must Not Have the Primary Effect of Advancing Religion It Must Not Lead to Excessive Entanglement Between State and the Schools

8 Revised the Funding Mechanisms and Authorized Payments for Academically Necessary Summer Classes Funding by Reducing MPS State Aids and 50% By Cutting Aid to Other School District Throughout the State

9 Outside Districts Removed From Calculations MPS Reduced by 45% and State Appropriations Cover Remaining 55%

10 Schools In Program Were Required to Submit to DPI Evidence of Sound Fiscal Practices and Financial Viability Schools Had to Submit to DPI Certificate of Occupancy Schools Administrator Had to Participate in DPI Fiscal Management Training DPI Was Given Expanded Authority to Bar Schools

11 MPCP Teachers Had to Possess at Least a High School Degree

12 Increased the Number of Pupils Allowed to Participate from 15% of MPS Population to 22,500 Family Already In Program Could Go Up to 220% of Poverty Accreditation Standardized Tests Longitudinal Study

13 Preaccreditation WKCE Accountability Measures

14 Income Eligibility increased to 300% of poverty, If Married 325% Eliminates the Cap Expands Program to Racine WKCE Expands to Milwaukee County Once You’re In You’re In

15 Bad-Actor Provision Removal of NCPSA Approved Agencies from Pre-Accreditation Clarification of Allowable Fees


Download ppt "Permitted up to 1% of MPS Enrollment to Attend Non Sectarian Private Schools in 1990-91 SY No More Than 49% of School’s Enrollment Could be Voucher Students."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google