C graphs Our C detector at the time was not functioning properly (small light leak) so we decided to take it out of our magnet trials to simplify it. We later fixed the detector and recalibrated it, and it is now functioning fine.
Hypothesis We thought that if we put up a magnetic field above the detector then the field could curve muons and other particles off the path of hitting all 3 detectors.
Magnet Data (top without magnets bottom with magnets) (error was 50 counts in 30 min) Counts in 30 minute trial TRIALSTRIALS
Results Our magnet array did not deflect many muons, but it increased our count rate. We are thinking about why this would happen but still have not found an answer
Next Step If we were to continue out experiment to find out why we got more counts we would… Change the orientation of the magnet box. Change the magnetic field And make a better structure to angle our detectors
Directional experiment We put 2 detectors on a box 1 foot apart and then tilted it to find out where a majority of muons were coming from in orders to see if we were curving muons into out detectors with our magnets We found that many more muons were coming from above us rather than from an angle