Presentation on theme: "PRESENTATION ON APPLICATION OF GIS IN BWSSB ON THE OCCASION OF WORLD WATER DAY By the GIS Cell of BWSSB."— Presentation transcript:
PRESENTATION ON APPLICATION OF GIS IN BWSSB ON THE OCCASION OF WORLD WATER DAY By the GIS Cell of BWSSB
General BWSSB moved forward on developing a GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) in BWSSB and other Civic Bodies of BANGALORE (BDA, BMP, BESCOM AND OTHERS) pooled resources for obtaining Aerial Photography of Bangalore from the NATIONAL REMOTE SENSING AGENCY (NRSA). NRSA has supplied a photogrammetrically compiled Base Map to BWSSB covering an area of 290 Sq Kms.INTRODUCTION
BWSSB under the Indo-French protocol in 1999 assigned the work of developing a GIS System to M/s SCE France. This led to the development of BISON (Bangalore Information System on Networks) applications for the operational activities of BWSSB. The GIS development was completed in the year Genesys International Corporation Ltd, an internationally known, ISO , GIS and mapping company, has taken charge of Implementation and Maintenance of GIS at BWSSB w.e.f Nov INTRODUCTION contd
GIS SETUP IN BWSSB HO Central East West North South 11 SS 14 SS 9 SS 8 SS
GIS SETUP IN BWSSB contd.. BWSSB Head Office is connected to all its Divisional Offices through LAN/WAN The GIS Hardware/Software setup at BWSSB is as below: Hardware / Software Head Office – One Server with 5 PIII workstations, One Plotter, Scanner and A3 Colour Printer, with ArcInfo 8.1, Arc SDE (Spatial Database Engine), ArcView 8.0, ArcPress and Oracle 8i RDBMS Divisional – One Server with 2 PIII workstations and A3 offices Printer, Software - Arcview 3.1 and Oracle RDBMS Service Stations – One Desktop PC with Printer
BISON MODULES AND THEIR APPLICATIONS Database Management Data Updation BISON Expert at HO MIP at HO Decision Support Tool Chairman Chief Engineers Updation Viewer Cartography BISON Light at DO, SS Communication tool BISON on ArcExplorer
Water Supply Maintenance Consumers Management Sewage Maintenance Billing System Employee Management Water Quality Management Asset Management SEVEN APPLICATIONS OF BISON
Buildings, Consumer Connections, Manholes, Valves, Employees, Water Pipelines (Km), 3 000Sewage Lines (Km), 300 Fire hydrants, 103 Reservoirs, 73 Offices, 48 Pumping Stations. AMOUNT OF RECORDS IN BISON
DATA AVAILABLE IN GEO-DATABASE AT BWSSB Spatial Road Network & Road Names Base map of Buildings,Green area & Landmarks Consumers Location of Service Station Details of water supply network Details of sewer network Location of BWSSB Offices Non-Spatial data (eg.) Attributes of water network Attributes of sewer network
INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN GIS AS ATTRIBUTES Attributes of Water Pipe
Attributes of Sewer Pipe
1. Planning Pipe Line Layout GIS data is being used in Planning Pipe Line Layout for New Wards and CMC areas. Planning is carried out by identifying the main feeder line or near by reservoir or near by main sewer line to lay a new pipeline network for the new layout. Water supply network USE OF GIS in BWSSB (Examples)
2. Linking of L-Sections with GIS L sections can be seen in GIS by clicking on any segment on the Network data in display.
3. Facilitating Complaint Management and Maintenance Work System is designed to cater to the need for addressing Complaints related to the Water and Sewage Network. The output from the System enables : a.Quick identification of Location from the digital map b.Better appreciation of the problem, as a holistic view of the network area is available. c.Connectivity with Service Stations provides speedy implementation of corrective action. d.A Database of all interactions is maintained and this serves as an input for periodic analysis and decision making at Apex Level.
4. Thematic Analysis of Water Supply Distribution Water Connection patterns like domestic, non domestic,partial domestic, industrial etc.
5. Water Quality Check Data on the results of Water Quality Testing, done at the BWSSB laboratory, is stored in the GIS for Analysis and Corrective action when required. SAMPLING POINTS
MIS EMBEDDED IN GIS STATISTICAL REPORTS CONSUMERS COMPLAINTS MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT INDICATOR PANEL (MIP)
An example - Statistical report on length of pipe lines for the city of Bangalore.The statistics show the lengths of pipes for both sewer and water, Service Station wise.
List of functional areas of BWSSB for which a monthly report is generated
COMPLAINTS RELATED TO LEAKAGES
DOMESTIC WATER CONSUMPTION
LIVE APPLICATION OF (BISON LIGHT)
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ENHANCEMENT OF GIS WEB Hosting of GIS on intranet/internet. Online registration of consumer complaints and linking with GIS through Internet. Providing ortho-imagery (from satellite / aerial) as background.Providing ortho-imagery (from satellite / aerial) as background Draped DEM attached to Maps, providing a better perception of Ground for Engineering Planning (New Connections, Network Planning, Replacements/Repairs). Contour map generation from DEM to assist (Sewage route planning / Laying of Storm water drains, Network Planning, etc.) Connectivity with other civic bodies to share related information GIS on a Hand held device
GIS ON A HYBRID DATA A hybrid data set on an Ortho photo is more meaningful as we are sure of what we are querying. Hybrid data involves house and location pictures house and location pictures Videos Videos Voice Voice etc etc