2Grammar Inversion Aims and Purposes: Learn and master some grammatical rules of inversionHelp students to make a summary of all kinds of inversionBe able to do some exercises related to inversion
3Inversion is the changing of the order of the words in the sentence. (倒装)Inversion is the changing of the order of the words in the sentence.When we use inversion, we put the predicate or part of it before the subject.
51） 当状语here, there, now, then （主语是名词）和表示位置转移的副词如up, down, in, out, off, on, away 位于句首时，句子的谓语放在主语的前面，即完全倒装。但当主语为人称代词时，不倒装。如，Here comes the bus.Here he comes.Out rushed the children.
62) 当表示地点的状语放在句首时，主谓完全倒装。（主语是名词） 如，On the wall hangs a picture.该句型为：地点状语+ be / lie / stand / sit / live / come / go / rise /等不及物动词+ 主语On the ground lay a peasant boy.
73) 完全倒装还用于句型there + live / lie / stand / stand / exist / remain / be /seem to be / happen to be / used to be / ought to be / must be / can’t be…+ 主语如，There stands a tall tree in front of the classroom.
84) 表+主+定语从句Gone are the days when we Chinese used the foreign oil.5). 用于某些表示祝愿的句子Long live sb!(=May sb live long!)May you succeed.
96). Such was Einstein, a famous but simple man. 7). 由于修辞或是平衡句子的原因也可以用倒装句Next to this one is another grand hotel which is beautifully decorated.
10Complete inversionWe can use complete inversion when a sentence begins with an adverbial expression of place or direction.
11S2: In the bag are some black pens. Work in pairs. Look at pictures and explain them to your partner using inversion Follow the example.S1: What is the bag?S2: In the bag are some blackpens.S1: What are in front of the girl?S2: In front of her are somelighted candles.
12S1: What are along the river? Along the river are houses.S1: What is on the table?S2:On the table is a cup.
13S1: What is beyond that mountain? Beyond that mountain is a village.
141. Sat / very / a / chair / man / on / fat / was / the Arrange these words to make full sentences using complete inversion.1. Sat / very / a / chair / man / on / fat / was / theOn the chair sat a very fat man.2. Uniforms / students / road / wearing / some / along / bright / the / cameAlong the road came some students wearing bright uniforms.
153. Big / table / piece / chocolate / is / on /a / the / of On the big table is a piece of chocolate.4. tree / car / red / a / under / beautiful / the / wasUnder the tree was a beautiful red car.
165. your / there / brother / goes 6. salon / sat / hair / in / old / the / with / woman / hairdressing / white / anThere goes your brother.In the hairdressing salon sat an old woman with white hair.
181）so, neither, nor 位于句首作替代词，表示与上文提到的情况一样或者不同时，引起部分倒装，分别表示
19如，a) Alice was able to swim across the English Channel at the age of sixteen. ---So was Jack.b) Henry couldn’t afford to buy a new house.----Neither/ Nor could his brother.c) Did you enjoy the trip?--- I’m afraid not. Neither did my classmates.d) Mrs Black is patient and seldom loses her temper.---So it is with his husband.
20注意： 当 so 引出的句子表示对上文 内容的证实或者肯定，即含义为“确实如此”，不可以用倒装，必须用正常语序。 Mary sings beautifully.---- So she does.----So does Jane.
212) 含有否定意义的一些副词，如hardly, scarcely, seldom, little, rarely, never, not / no / neither / nor/ few / nowhere /in vain（徒 劳) 等位于句首时，引起部分倒装。还有一些表示否定意义的介词短语位于句首时，句子也要求用倒装结构，常见的这类介词短语都还有“no”, 如，at no time, in no case, by no means, in no way, under/ in no circumstance 等。in no way/case =on no occasion=by no means=on no account=in / under no circumstances(决不）
22如，a) Under no circumstances shall I change my attitude towards beauty.无论如何我都不会改变自己对美的态度。b) At no time and in no circumstances should thefire doors of the building ever be locked.无论什么时候，什么情况下，建筑物的消防通道们都不能锁上。c) Not a single mistake did I make.In vain(无结果的，徒然) did I try to change hismind.e) Seldom does she show her feelings, even when sheis said.f) Not only did he work faster, but also he workedbetter.
233) 含 not until 的强调句，如果not until位于句首，句子要求用倒装结构，如果是主从复合句，倒装结构出现在主句中。 如， a) Not until all the fish died in the river did the residents realize how serious the water pollution was.b) Not until then did he come to realize how serious the situation was.c) Not until it was dark, did we arrive at the village.
244) 在“一… 就 …”, “刚刚….就“ 句型中， 表示一件事情紧接着另一件事情发生。 4) 在“一… 就 …”, “刚刚….就“ 句型中， 表示一件事情紧接着另一件事情发生。如，a) No sooner had we assembled than the ceremony began.=Hardly … … when….=Scarcely … … when…=Rarely … … when…b) No sooner had I fallen asleep than I heard a knock at the door.c) Scarcely had it grown dark when she realized it was too late to go to the cinema.
255) only 放在句首，修饰副词， 介词或者庄于从句时，常引起后面句子部分倒装，only+状语(副词，介短，状从） Only then was I conscious of my mistake.Only when you are 18, can you enjoy the civil rights.Only with hard work can you learn English well.Only then did she learn about the truth of his leaving the position..Only修饰主语时不要求倒装。Only I can finish this task.Only he knows the truth.
266).so, such 等表示程度的副词位于句首So hard did he work that he achieved his aim.Such a hard-working student was he that he achieved his aim.7). 用于省略If的虚拟条件句，将 were, had, should提前If it should rain tomorrow, I should stay indoors= Should it rain tomorrow,Had you not told me about the matter, I should never have known the whole thing.
278) 用于让步状语从句 as=though, 虽然， 表状提前，表语是名词时，零冠词 Abstract as the theory is, I’ve understood it.Child though he is, he masters science.Try as he would, he might fail again.9). Sometimes, often, well, many a time, to such a degree, now and then 位于句首时Well do I remember my childhood now.Many a time did they hold such an activity last year.
2810). 特殊结构的让步状语从句，Be 或者动词原形位于句首，相当于让步状语从句be + 主语+ ever so +adj 无论怎样如，Be a man ever so clever, he knows nothing if he doesn’t learn.无论一个人有多聪明， 不学习就什么都不知道。be + 主语+A or B 无论是A 还是BBe he friend or enemy, the law regarded him as a criminal.动词+wh--+will/ may 无论Come what may, we must remain optimistic.= Whatever may come, we must remain optimistic.
30So do I . Partial inversion used in short replies When we agree with statements other people have made, we can use a short reply beginning with so after a positive statement, and neither or nor after a negative statement.
31When we want to agree, we must use the same inverted verb. Work in pairs:I want to go shopping So do II will go shopping So will II didn’t go shopping yesterday Neither / Nor did I.I can not go shopping today Neither / Nor can II am too tired to go shopping So am I.I have a new coat So do / have II’ve never been shopping Neither / Nor have I.
32Partial inversion used in short replies. After a positive statement:So +助动词/情态动词 + 主语After a negative statementNeither / Nor +助动词 / 情态动词 + 主语
33Work in groups of three: (p. 6) S1should read the question;S2 should answer it.S3 must agree with S2 using so, neither or nor.Follow the example:S1: Do you like to play sports? (Yes)S2: Yes, I do.S3: So do I.
34Partial inversion in long sentences. 1. When the sentence begins with a negative word or a negative phrase such as neither / nor / never / not / seldom / hardly / rarely / at no time etc.
35Read the following and pay attention to the order of the verbs. Neither am I impressed by the paintings nor do I like them.Never in my life have I seen such wonderful pictures.Not a word did he say about his visit to the art museum.Seldom does he paint now.Hardly had I got to Amsterdam when it began to snow.At no time during the tour was I bored.
362. When the sentence begins with only, which modifies the adverbials. Only when Mr Baker returns thisafternoon will the meeting began.Only on such a trip can you learn asmuch as about Europeans artists.Only then did I realize that I was wrong.
373. When the sentence begins with so; So fast does the light travel that it is difficult for us to imagine its speed.So sudden was the attack that the people in the building had no time to escape.So crowded was the art gallery that I could hardly move about.
38Transform the sentences using the words in brackets (p.7) I have seen a handsome man. (seldom / such)2. We think about what beauty really means. (rarely)Seldom have I seen such a handsome man.Rarely did we think about what beauty really means.
393. She noticed that she was getting fat (only yesterday) 4. I go to the gym. (rarely)Only yesterday did she notice she was getting fat.Rarely do I go to the gym.
405. I have heard a beautiful song. (never / such) 6. They understood what the teacher meant. (only then)Never have I heard such a beautiful song.Only then did they understand what the teacher meant.
42一、从A、B、C、D四个选项中选出可以填入句中空白处的最佳答案。 1. I will never know what was on his mind at the time, _________ will anyone else.A. either B. neither C. so D. as2. Alice never does any reading in the evening, ________.A. so does John B. John does tooC. John doesn’t too D. nor does JohnBD
43B D 3. Never in my wildest dreams _________ these people are living in such poor conditions.A. I could imagineB. could I imagineC. I couldn’t imagineD. couldn’t I imagine4. Little _________ that we were watching hisevery move, so he seemed to be going his ownway in this business.A. he realized B. he didn’t realizeC. didn’t he realize D. did he realizeD
44A C 5. So busy ___________ he has no time to spare. A. is the dentist thatB. the dentist is thatC. has the dentist thatD. the dentist has that6. Hardly _________ got to the airport ______the plane took off.A. they had; than B. had they; thanC. had they; when D. did they; whenC
457. Seldom _____________ any mistakes during my past few years of working here.A. would I make B. did I makeC. I did make D. shall I make8. I failed in the final examination last termand only then _____________ theimportance of studies.A. I realized B. I had realizedC. had I realized D. did I realizeBD
469. —I will never come to this restaurant again. The food is terrible!—___________.A. Nor am I B. Neither will IC. Same with me D. So do I10. Down the river _________.A. flowed a small boatB. a small boat flowedC. did a small boat flowD. a small boat did flowBA
47二、根据汉语，用倒装完成英语句子。1. 我非常喜欢看电视，她也是如此。I like watching TV very much.______________________________.2. 我认为这几乎是不可能的。Hardly____________________________________ .3. 当我们到达那儿时，一个吓人的声音从山谷传来。______________________________________ when we got there.So does shedid I think it possibleFrom the valley came a frightening sound
484. 我们刚爬山就下起雪来了。______________________________________ when the snow start to come down.5. 窗户边坐着一个年轻人，手里拿着一本杂志。_______________________________ with a magazine in his hand.Hardly had we begun the climbBy the window sat a young man
49链接高考A1._____ you eat the correct foods ______ be able to keep fit and stay healthy. （08 江苏卷）A. Only if; will you B. Only if; you willC. Unless; will you D. Unless; you will
502. Bill wasn’t happy about the delay of the report by Jason, and ______. （08 辽宁卷） A. I was neither B. neither was IC. I was either D. either was I3. Not until the motorbike looked almost new _________ repairing and cleaning it. （08 陕西卷）A. he stopped B. did he stopC. stopped he D. he did stopBB
514. Only when I left my parents for Italy __ how much I loved them.(08 重庆卷)A. I realized B. I had realizedC. had I realized D. did I realize5. So much of interest ___ that most visitorssimply run out of time before seeing it all. (08 上海卷)A. offers Beijing B. Beijing offersC. does Beijing offer D. Beijing does offerDC
52HomeworkHave an intensive review on “Inversion” yourself, and give a summary on it.