Presentation on theme: "Steve Krug’s -5- Guiding Principles of Good Web Design & Usability Don’t Make Me think!"— Presentation transcript:
Steve Krug’s -5- Guiding Principles of Good Web Design & Usability Don’t Make Me think!
1. Don’t Make Me Think Overriding guideline for all design and usability Good design eliminates all questions and confusion User should not have to second guess or question intent Simplest answer is usually the Best! COMPLICATED!
2. How We Really Use the Web Most users don’t read but scan Pick out things they are looking for or things that stand out Users “muddle” through sites to find what they want Don’t follow best or intended way to find what they want
3. Billboard Design 101 Web page design similar to Billboard design Clear Visual Hierarchy Don’t be afraid of following conventions and what is proven to work Don’t reinvent the wheel!
4. Animal Vegetable or Mineral Meant to illustrate that users like mindless choices Not mindless choices usually caused by ambiguity or similarity Causes confusion and reduced trust There are enough hard decisions already in life!
5. Omit Needless Words Common problem Remove “happy talk” usually on home page Remove instructions or reduce to minimum Helps really important content stand out Reduces distractions and intimidation
Contact Info: Name: Carl Smith Web Page: Thank you!