Presentation on theme: "Unit Five I Never Write Right Designed by Shi Yuan Book Ⅰ The Third Two Periods Writing and Exercise."— Presentation transcript:
Unit Five I Never Write Right Designed by Shi Yuan Book Ⅰ The Third Two Periods Writing and Exercise
1. 梦想 … 2. 被推迟, 拖延 3. 重新燃起的希望 4. 给书作插图 5. 从 … 摔出 6. 突然出现 7. 破碎的梦想 8. 令人惊讶的是 dream of be put off by renewed hope illustrate one’s book fall out of burst into broken dreams to one’s astonishment Useful Expressions
9. 拿到过稿费的作家 10. 体验成功 11. 对 … 满意 12. 许多的 13. 从 … 毕业 14. 充满 15. 扼杀梦想的人 16. 每次, 在某时 a paid writer taste success be fine with sb. dozens of graduate from be filled with dream killer at the time Useful Expressions
17. 以 … 为主食, 靠 … 生活 18. 胡乱地, 随便地 19. 写好回信地址贴好邮票的信封 20. 电视访谈节目 21. 巡回促销旅行 22. 各处, 到处 23. 战胜种种困难 24. 专心致志 live on at random a self-addressed stamped envelope TV talk show on promotion tour here and there beat the odds set one’s mind Useful Expressions
Choose the suitable word or expression from the list and complete the following sentences. Change the form where necessary. Directions: Word Completion ancient genius odds publish embarrass work on worldwide illustrate contract fit in 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. There are heavy against people succeeding in such a bad economic climate. History, and modern, has taught these people an intense distrust of their neighbors. His dancing technique is good, but he needs to his fitness. I didn't want to her in front of her friends. They could take legal action against you if you break the terms of the. odds____ ancient______ work on _______ embarrass _________ contract _______
ancient genius odds publish embarrass work on worldwide illustrate contract fit in 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. Dr Jones is very busy but I'm sure she'll be able to you tomorrow. A couple of examples are included, by way of. An increase in average temperature by only a few degrees could cause environmental problems. The Government figures every six months showing how many people are unemployed. From the age of three, she showed signs of. fit in __ illustration _________ worldwide_________ publishes _________ genius ______ Word Completion
Blank filling 1.The librarian took a book random from the shelf. 2.Sorry, I can ’ t fit any callers this morning. 3.She hid her face in her hands and burst a flood of tears. 4.He thinks the one recipe success lies in hard work. 5.He ’ s always at odds his father over politics. at in out for with
Multiple choices ( )1. One suggestion is to have a picnic in the park, the other is to go to the museum. I prefer the. A. last B. next C. later D. latter ( ) 2. It is rather that we still do not know how many species there are in the world today. A. misleading B. embarrassing C. boring D. demanding ( ) 3. “I will give you an example to my point,” said the speaker. A. illustrate B. reveal C. expose D. display D B A
( ) 4. I had just posted the letter when I remembered that I hadn’t the cheque. A. imposed B. involved C. enclosed D. contained ( ) 5. The crowd suddenly burst into. A. laugh B. laughters C. laughing D. laughter ( ) 6. Nancy is only a sort of her husband’s opinion and has no ideas of her own. A. shadow B. sample C. reproduction D. echo ( ) 7. He does not as a teacher of English as his pronunciation is terrible. A. equal B. match C. qualify D. fit C D D C
Chinese-English Translation 1. 简 从书架上拿了一本杂志，开始东一页 西一页的随便翻阅。 Jane picked up a magazine from the bookshelf and started reading here and there at random. 2. 我随信附上这篇故事的几张插图。 With the letter, I enclosed some illustrations for the story.
3. 那幢古老的建筑物四周有一圈高墙。 The ancient building was enclosed by a high wall. 4. 格林大夫忙着研制一种治艾滋病（ AIDS ）的药 物，但从下月起他就能安排时间在星期一上午看 二十个左右的病人了。 Dr. Green is busy working on a cure for AIDS, but from next month on he will be able to fit in 20 patients or so on Monday morning.
5. 他讲了个故事来说明为什么在详细查看 其条款之前决不要在任何合同上签字。 He told a story to illustrate why you should never sign any contract before you have examined its provisions in detail. 6. 他们老是对她说她有数学天才，她感到 很不好意思。 She was embarrassed when they kept telling her she had a genius for maths.
7. 天知道我们那个傻小子什么时候能中学毕业。 God knows when that dumb kid of ours is going to graduate from high school. 8. 亨利的最近一部小说和他女儿的第一本书都于 三个月前出版，令他们惊讶的是，后者已经售出 一百多万册。 Henry’s latest novel and his daughter’s first book were both published three months ago, and to their astonishment, the latter has always sold over a million copies.
English-Chinese Translation 1. You soon become engrossed in some book or other, and usually it is only much later that you realize you have spent far too much time there and must dash off to keep some forgotten appointment---without buying a book, of course. 很快，你就会沉迷于某本书中，过了很久才发现已经在书 店呆了很长时间，得赶紧离开去赴那个被抛之脑后的约 会 —— 当然，你一本书也没买。 2. This opportunity to escape the realities of everyday life is, I think, the main attraction of a bookshop. 我想，书店主要的吸引力在于它提供了逃避日常生活中的 现实事情的机会。
3. In a bookshop an assistant should remain in the background until you have finished browsing. Then, and only then, are his services necessary. 在书店里，销售员会一只呆在不引人注意的地方，知道你 浏览完才出现。到那时，也只是到那时，他才会提供必要 的服务。 4. You have to be careful not to be attracted by the variety of books in a bookshop. It is very easy to enter the shop looking for a book on, say, ancient coins and to come out carrying a copy of the latest best-selling novel and perhaps a book about brass-rubbing---something which had only vaguely interested you up till then. 你得小心，不要被书店里五花八门的书籍吸引住了。极其 容易出现这样的情况，你到书店想买一本关于古代钱币的 书，结果出来时你却买了本最新畅销小说，也许还有本关 于拓印的书 --- 一本直到那时你并不怎么感兴趣的书。
5. One day, however, he was dismayed to find the book missing from its usual place and was about to leave when he noticed the owner of the shop beckoning to him, expecting to be told off, he went towards him. To his surprise, the owner pointed to the book, which was tucked away in a corner. 然而，有一天，他发现那本书不在它通常摆放的 地方了。他非常沮丧，刚要打算转身离开，却注 意到书店老板在向他招手。他向老板走去，准备 被老板责备。令他吃惊的是，老板指了指那本书， 原来它被藏在角落里了。
Writing skills Combination 1. Combination is a way to combine two or several sentences into one, which serves to emphasize a close relationship between sentences. Coordination serves to emphasize a close relationship equally important. If the ideas are not equally important, the less important one(s) can usually be subordinated. 2. In most cases coordination is achieved with the help of coordinators. Here is a list of common coordinators: and, or, but, nor, so, yet, both…and, either…or, not…but, neither…nor, as well as, as much as, rather than, more than Review: Combination, Contraction and Subordination
Contraction 1. Contraction is a very effective way of emphasizing ideas and making sentence(s) shorter and simpler. 2. Contraction can be achieved by using Appositive, Participial phrase, Prepositional phrase, Adverbial clause, Attributive clause, etc.
Subordination 1. Subordination: Unlike coordination, subordination refers to the linking of two units, usually two clauses, at different syntactic levels and results in a complex sentence. The inclusive clause on the higher level is termed the main clause and the attached clause on the lower level, the subordinate clause. 2. Subordinators are the most important device of subordination. Such as: since, what(ever), once, so that, considering (that), as if, in case, as soon as, even if, the moment (that), in spite of
Exercises: multiple choices. ( )1. English is not easy, ______ I like it very much. A. so B. if C. but D. or ( ) 2. I’m different from my twin sister. I love dancing, ______ she is interested in reading. A. so B. or C. but D. and ( ) 3. ---- Somebody is waiting outside. He wants to see you. A. For B. And C. But D. So ( ) 4. The dress fits me well, ______ I don’t want to buy it because it’s too expensive. A. so B. and C. or D. but ( ) 5. It was snowing hard ______ we had to stay at home and watch TV. A. that B. so C. but D. because C C C D B
( ) 6. Please take the medicine three times a day, ______ it won’t work well. A. and B. but C. or D. so ( ) 7. ______ big the tree is! A. What B. How C. What ( ) 8. Work hard, ______ you may catch up with your classmates soon. A. or B. but C. and D. yet ( ) 9. ---- Would you like to play basketball with us? ----Yes, I’d love to. ______ I’m afraid I have no time. A. So B. But C. Or D. And ( ) 10. ---- We had better ask Bob to help us. ---- ______ he is away on business. Ａ So B. And C. Or D. But C B C B D
( ) 11. ______ weather we had on our holiday! A. What a good B. How a good C. What good D. How good ( ) 12. We didn’t have enough chairs, ______ some of the students had to sit on the floor. A. but B. so C. or D. and ( ) 13. Look left and right before you cross the road, ______ you may be hit by a car. A. and B. so C. but D. or ( ) 14. He can’t decide which to choose______ there is no difference between them. A. but B. so C. because ( ) 15. Study hard, ______ you’re sure to have a good result in the exam. A. and B. but C. for D. or ( ) 16. Hold on to your dreams, ______ they will come true one day. A. but B. and C. or D. so C B D C A B
Practical writing Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a composition on the topic My Dream. You should write at least 120 words 。
范文 My Dream Everyone has a lot of dreams. Some people want to be rich, dreaming of becoming millionaires overnight. Others want to be famous, dreaming of suddenly jumping to great fame. I have a lot of dreams, too. When I was a young girl, I dreamed of becoming a scientist like Hua Luogen in future. However, I knew very well that I could not succeed without painstaking efforts. So I studied hard in the middle school and college in order to attain my goal. After graduating from college, I found a job as a teacher. Although I was very busy with teaching, I never gave up my goal. I read a lot of books to get more knowledge. I made experiments to practice and apply what I had learnt from the books. Sometimes, I was so deeply indulged in my research that I forgot my meals and time. Now I have made great progress. Several of my research papers have been published. The methods proposed in my papers have been proven to be valuable for the solution of some problems. I am very happy. The ladder of becoming a scientist is still far ahead, but I have climbed the first rung anyway.
Oral practice 1)How you ever had any difficulties in your studies or your work? How did your classmates and friends advise you? 2)Do you prefer praise or criticism? Do you think praise helps improve your performance in your studies and work?
Assignments 1.Review this unit. 2.Writing a composition entitled “ My Dream ” 。 3.Preview new words and the text in Unit 6.
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.