Presentation on theme: "Commission: * The act of entrusting; a charge; instructions as to how a trust shall be executed. * The duty or employment entrusted to any person or persons;"— Presentation transcript:
Commission: * The act of entrusting; a charge; instructions as to how a trust shall be executed. * The duty or employment entrusted to any person or persons; a trust; a charge. * A formal written warrant or authority, granting certain powers or privileges and authorizing or commanding the performance of certain duties. * The acting under authority of, or on account of, another.
* Did Jesus have the authority to command His followers what to do in His church (Mt 16:16 I will build my church). * Matthew 28:18-19a “Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore…” * Luke 24:44-45 “…all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,
A Mission Statement: “ Should be a clear, concise statement that says who the agency is, what it does, for whom and where.” Is the “Great Commission” a “Mission Statement” for the church?
* Matthew 28:19-20 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
* Mark 16:15-16 * 15 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
* Luke 24:46-47 * "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
John 21:15-25 * "Simon, son of John, …"Tend My lambs." …He said to him, "Shepherd My sheep." … Jesus said to him, "Tend My sheep. * V. 19 – Follow Me!
* I might ask the question; who is the primary instruction to: Believers or Non-Believers? * If Jesus commanded them to proclaim the Good News to the lost world, and teach all who responded to keep all He commanded – who has the instruction and responsibility today?
* Let’s Summarize Jesus’ Last Instructions and see if sounds like a “Mission Statement” for the Church? * The church exists: * So that people of all nations can follow Jesus and be his disciple. * So that followers would proclaim the message that Jesus Christ had to suffer, die and be raised on the third day. This is a fulfillment of prophecy.
* To proclaim the Good News of forgiveness of sins that is possible because of the sacrifice of Jesus. All those that believe this message must repent. Baptism is authorized and commanded by God in order to be saved. Those that do not believe the message about Jesus will be condemned.
* Disciples need to teach the new disciples to obey all that Jesus commanded. Those that lead should be very careful as they lead others, making sure to lead only in the way of the Lord. * Jesus will be with the believers as long as the world continues. * What is our mission statement as a church?
Jesus Spoke of His Ascension * At the Transfiguration - Luke 9: * 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem.
Jesus Spoke of His Ascension * Luke 9:51 When the days were approaching for His ascension, He was determined to go to Jerusalem; * John 6:62 "What then if you see the Son of Man ascending to where He was before? ”
Jesus Spoke of His Ascension * John 7:33-39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified. * John 14:12-28 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
Jesus Spoke of His Ascension * John 16:5-10, 28 "But now I am going to Him who sent Me; …But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; …I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; * John 20:17 Jesus said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, "I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God. ”
The Record of the Event * Mark 16: So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed.
The Record of the Event * Luke 24: And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them. 51 While He was blessing them, He parted from them and was carried up into heaven. 52 And they, after worshiping Him, returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53 and were continually in the temple praising God.
The Record of the Event Acts 1: And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. 10 And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them.
They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."
In the Message of the Christians * Acts 2:33 "Therefore having been exalted to the right hand of God… * Acts 7:55 But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;
In the Message of the Christians * Eph 1:20-21 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
In the Message of the Christians * Eph 4: Therefore it says, "WHEN HE ASCENDED ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVE A HOST OF CAPTIVES, AND HE GAVE GIFTS TO MEN." 9 (Now this expression, "He ascended," what does it mean except that He also had descended into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.)
In the Message of the Christians Philippians 2: For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
* Why is the Ascension so Important? * But why was Christ raised from the grave? (1) To prove who He was--the eternal Son of God, and (2) to confirm the value of His death. * (3) that Jesus Christ might, as the glorified and victorious Savior, ascend into the very presence of God, thus, opening the way for others to follow.
* Why is the Ascension so Important? * Hebrews 6: This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, 20 where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.
* Why is the Ascension so Important? * Hebrews 4: Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
* When you think of Jesus Christ, how do you think of Him? * As the babe lying in the manger? * Do you think of Him in terms of His ministry? * Or perhaps you think of Him as the one who died and rose again? * “What then if you should see the Son of Man ascending where He was before?” * The ascension is the connecting link, the link between the past ministry of Christ and the reigning King of kings and Lord of lords!
* Conclusion: “Why do you stand looking into the sky?” * The Lord’s departure means Christ’s exalted position in heaven and the promise of His return. * But it also means that we have important matters to attend to as His people whom He has left here to represent Him.