1. Distribute a well-constructed, clear syllabus to the class in the first week. Be sure to address topics required by the University. (p. 18-20) 2. Use your OHIO e-mail for communication with students, colleagues and staff. Check it regularly! 3. Use the final exam time allotted to your class at OU-L/P. (p. 5) Final exams should be during final exam week. 4. Give students adequate feedback to make a decision about withdrawing from the class by the withdrawal date. (p. 7) 5. Have a student volunteer proctor your student evaluations. Leave the room! (p. 4)
6. Help the students to understand common forms of plagiarism regarding class assignments. (p. 2) 7. Advise students that tutoring may be available in areas outside of math and writing. Math and writing labs take tutor referrals from professors. (p. 8-9) 8. Read the student complaint policy. Students normally need to address issues with the faculty member first. (p.11) 9. Contact Student Services with information regarding a problematic student situation. 10. Review the emergency procedures. Review list of important dates. (p. 7,p. 15-16)
1. Do not give inadequate feedback about graded assignments—common area of student complaint. 2. Do not make significant changes to the distributed syllabus except for clarification or extenuating circumstances. 3. Do not post class grade information in any fashion that could compromise students privacy or violate FERPA. Please use the Blackboard grade book environment. (p. 3) 4. Do not use the incomplete grade option except for highly extenuating circumstances. Please use the incomplete grade contract to record details of the agreement with the student. 5. Do not expect immediate service from faculty secretaries. Plan ahead; use OHIO e-mail to send copy requests.
6. Do not change classrooms or rearrange equipment. Address needs with Merry Lee Walters in the Associate Dean’s Office. 7. Do not cancel class without informing the Associate Dean’s Office (p. 1-2). 8. Do not interact with students in any way that could be construed as “harassing.” (p. 6) 9. Do not forget to submit your final grades on time. (p. 5-6) 10. Do not delay calling 9-911 in any sort of emergency situation. Please locate the phone nearest to your classroom.
1. Division Coordinator, Associate Dean, disciplinary colleagues, and Student Services are all resources for common problems that may arise. 2. Use the MyOHIO portal which integrates mail, Bb and other important sites. Encourage students to do so too. 3. Look for periodic reminders and other announcements by OHIO email. 4. Please become familiar with the summaries of important contacts on p. 13 and important dates on p. 7. 5. Testing Center may be used for individual make ups or tests for online/blended classes—please review their hours of operation in Lancaster and Pickerington.
6. Students with documented disabilities will inform you with a formal letter of permitted special provisions—please handle with discretion. 7. Park in the designated faculty/staff parking (south) lot if possible. Obtain a temporary tag from the Dean’s Office. Athens permit is OK. 8. First pay is normally on September 15 th. 9. Enter textbook information in a timely fashion for next semester through the registrar’s store. 10. Review campus website on occasion. Much info for the greater campus/community.