Presentation on theme: "Life Long Relationships Parenting & Grand Parenting “He has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” Heb. 13:5b."— Presentation transcript:
Life Long Relationships Parenting & Grand Parenting “He has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” Heb. 13:5b
Theme The key to effective parenting is copying the parenting pattern of Father God.
Introduction: Delayed Gratification is love in action. The Jesus model of parenting is really quite effective.
1. Make Conversation With The One You Love Ask kind, helpful questions. “Who do you say that I am?” Luke 9:20 Jesus asked 107 different questions as recorded in the Bible. Shows interest, shows concern, shows willingness to identify with someone. Questions can teach, clarify, reveal, build bridges, develop understanding & empathy
2. Demonstrate The Humility & Awe Of Faith With The One You Love There is someone bigger than us: “I have not seen such faith in Israel!” Lk 7:9 There is purpose to all things – we just don’t know them all. The smallness of man and the bigness of God.
3. Become A Student Of The One You Love Address them based on who they are: “Peter, get behind me!” Matt 16:23 Matt. 16:23 Jesus turned to Peter and said, “Get away from me, Satan! You are a dangerous trap to me. You are seeing things merely from a human point of view, and not from God’s.” Peter liked things right in his face. John was the opposite.
4. Reveal Your Humanity In Front Of The One You Love Don’t hide your limitations: “God, Why have you forsaken me?” Matt 27:46 Don’t hide your faults, your struggles your, your foolish steps.
5. Refuse To Abandon The One You Love “And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matt 28:20 If you have a relationship with someone, if you love them Hebrews 13:5b “…He has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’” I can identify 70+ places in the Bible where God makes this promise
6. Demonstrate Forgiveness Before The One You Love Forgiveness is one of the most important things you will ever do: “Father, forgive them…” Lu 23:34 Do not allow yourself to become overcome by the offense of another. Do not imprison your emotions with hate and then bitterness.
7. Affirm And Value The One You Love And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” John 20:22 Accept, speak of the talents, abilities and blessings God has already given to them. Ro 12:6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. 2Pe 1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness
Our Challenge “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children.” Eph. 5:1 The key to effective parenting is copying the parenting pattern of Father God.