Presentation on theme: "Good-o-meter What is the moral of the video? Discuss whether or not humanity is essentially good or essentially evil Are We Good? Unit 1: Theme 3."— Presentation transcript:
Good-o-meter What is the moral of the video? Discuss whether or not humanity is essentially good or essentially evil Are We Good? Unit 1: Theme 3
Another Definition of Good* Anything contributing to the full realization of human potential and the proper development of the person Anything that makes us better human beings With a partner, list 5 “good” things according to this definition
Evil then is…* Anything that frustrates or acts against this proper growth and development Anything that is dehumanizing or prevents us from becoming who God wants us to be Again with your partner write down 5 “evil” things you can think of according to this definition
2 Kinds of Evil Physical Evil Evil that is outside human control Examples Natural disasters Disease Accidents Moral Evil Evil brought on by the free, unjustified actions of other humans Examples Violence Greed Murder Torture
The Problem of Evil If God knows of our suffering and is able to stop it what reasons could there be for letting people experience both physical and moral evil? Discuss
By Tempest Torn Where is God when tragedy strikes? God is with the victim – helping them to cope God is with the rescuers – helping them do their job The man in the story did not blame God. What aspect of the story spoke to you or stuck with you?
6. What does it say about God and God’s faithfulness to us? God is always there for you, especially in times of need.
7. Is there any trace of God in the story? Rainbow Congregation Cross Helpful people
8. What do you think of the response to the tragedy? What response would you give in similar circumstances?
Tragedy in Taber What is the role forgiveness plays in overcoming evil? “The only way for evil to thrive is for good people to do nothing.”
9.What is your reaction to Rev. Lang’s act of forgiveness?
10. How can our anger towards others and refusal to forgive ‘imprison’ us? The anger builds up inside and turns you bitter until you can let it out. Imprisoning your personality
11. Do you think Rev. Lang may have been tempted to blame God? Why or Why not?
12 a) What do you think Rev. Lang means by, “I used to pray and ask the Lord to give me strength. My prayer is now that Jesus will be my strength”? He was a weak person and he needed Jesus’ help to be strong
b) What is the difference? Asking for strength is asking for power, but asking for Jesus to be your strength is giving up power and asking Jesus to help.
Review of Unit One You Are Never Alone On the sticky note write down 3 concepts that you have learned in Unit 1 After the video clip place them on the white board.