131. galleons-It was a large Spanish trading ship.
142. ocean current-It is a stream of water that moves through the ocean.
153. wind pattern-It is the general direction of the wind.
164. Sebastian Rodrigues Cermeno- He was a Spanish trader who sailed to California from the Philippines in 1595.
175. Why did people who sailed from the 5. Why did people who sailed from the Philippines want a harbor in California?The journey took so long, and sailors needed a place to get supplies and repair their ships.
18*Please do Homework & Practice p.25 *Map & Globe Skills"Follow Routes on a Historical Map"p*Please complete Homework & PracticeSkills p.26
412. What kinds of duties did the soldiers have at a presidio? Some of the duties of the soldiers at the presidio were to hunt, work in fields, care for livestock, build and repair structures, deliver mail, and supervise Indian workers.
501. economy-It is the way people in a place or region use resources to meet their needs.
512. neophyte-It is a person who is new to the Catholic faith.
523. How did the Spanish change the economy 3. How did the Spanish change the economy of California from one based on Hunting and gathering?They brought Indians into the missions and taught them how to farm.
622. How were California Indian ways of life 2. How were California Indian ways of life affected by Spanish settlements?Spanish missionaries tried to force California Indians to give up their traditional ways.
63*Please do Homework & Practice p.32 *Read p "The Mission System"*Please do Homework & Practice p.33-35, Ch. 3 Study Guide