We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published byTamsyn Joseph
Modified over 2 years ago
How people search the library from a single search box Cory Lown NCSU Libraries Code4Lib 2012
1. Academic library search environment 2. Search stats at NCSU 3. Collecting data
1. Academic library search environment
73% of searches from the home page start from the default tab
Journal Articles, Catalog, Journal Titles, Database Titles, Library Website,
Best Bets, Spelling Suggestions, Loaded Links, FAQs, Smart Subjects,
Part 2: Search stats at NCSU
Fall 2010 and Spring 2011
739,180 Searches 655,388 Click-throughs
41.5% 35.2% 7.8% 5.5%
Article and Catalog results are really important.
23% of searchers are doing something else. Journal titles, databases, website results, etc.
For Articles, people use one of the first 3 results about 70% of the time. The other 30% use the “See All Results” link to see the full Summon results interface.
Fall 2010 – Catalog
Fall 2010 - Articles
web of science, citation builder, refworks, jstor, google scholar, pubmed, petition, ieee, naxos, etd, course reserves, science, gis, tripsaver, academic search premier, harvard business review, eric, citation, thesis
Query Distribution Spring 2011
Single/default search signals confidence to people that our search tools will just work.
Important to consider what the default search box doesn’t search.
Dynamic results drive traffic.
Make sure the most frequent queries provide great results.
Part 3: Collecting data
Timestamp Date Time Action (SEARCH) Query (john+muir) Referrer URL Tracking Searches
Timestamp Date Time Action (CLICK) Category (CAT) Link (RES_1) Tracking Click-throughs
Alternative: Event tracking in Google Analytics
Cory Lown NCSU Libraries firstname.lastname@example.org @cowilo C&RL Article Preprint http://go.ncsu.edu/librarysearc h
Virtual Environments at NCSU Libraries Josh Boyer NCSU Libraries Living the Future 8.
Best Bets: Improving Search to High Demand Resources Tito Sierra NCSU Libraries Code4Lib 2007.
Introduction Ebsco Host. Public Libraries Have many databases you can search to find journal, magazine, and newspaper articles. Of these, Ebsco is one.
World Cat World wide catalog of libraries in the U.S., Canada, and Europe.
Use Google Scholar! What the experts say: Use Google Scholar Use simple search for articles on library homepage Better: in the digital library main screen.
Welcome: Thesis in a Nutshell Lisa Barnett Instructional Services Librarian Brenda Yates Habich Information Services Librarian
A Single Search Box Interface to the NCSU Libraries, Two Years Later Tito Sierra NCSU Libraries DLF Spring Forum 2007.
Finding Research Articles for Nursing Courses Houston Cole Library Jacksonville State University Paula Barnett-Ellis 2012.
EBSCOhost Databases Access to bibliographic and/or full-text resources from more than 30 online databases such ATLASerials, Academic Search Premier, Education.
Searching for TIME magazine articles in Goleman Library databases prepared by Josefina Gomez, Librarian San Joaquin Delta College for students in Dr. Wall’s.
Library Services welcomes Postgraduate Researchers Gerald Watkins Library Services Subject Advisor (Government and Society; Social Policy)
Richard J. Daley College Library Searching Online Databases Ebsco & ProQuest.
FINDING ARTICLES USING THE A TO Z JOURNAL LIST Step by Step Instructions.
Sarah G. Park Lovejoy Library Southern Illinois University Edwardsville gpark at siue.edu.
HEALTH PROMOTION/DISEASE PREVENTION. PROJECT REQUIREMENTS Requirements –Reputable Web Site dedicated to that disease or problem Describe the disease or.
Sue Godsell November Why use the Library’s resources (and not Google or Wikipedia)? We have many online reference works (dictionaries, encyclopedias,
Pathfinder Project Introduction to Teaching November 2009.
1 ACCESSING THE PURDUE LIBRARY DATABASES AND ONLINE JOURNALS September 14, 2006.
Searching and Using Databases. Use this tab on the library’s homepage to access databases or go directly to the database page.library’s homepagedatabase.
What is THAT ???!!!. Follow the trail to find gems …
© 2017 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.