Presentation on theme: "Words for Production 1. tornado [ tOr`nedo ] n. [C] a violent and destructive windstorm over a small area; a whirlwind 龍捲風 There are nearly 1,000 tornados."— Presentation transcript:
Words for Production 1. tornado [ tOr`nedo ] n. [C] a violent and destructive windstorm over a small area; a whirlwind 龍捲風 There are nearly 1,000 tornados reported in the U.S. each year, some of which are very destructive.
Words for Production 2. twister [ `twIst2 ] n. [C] (colloq.) a tornado; a whirlwind 龍捲風，旋風 So far it seems that nothing can stop a twister from destroying things in its path. 詞類變化 * twister = tornado * so far = up to now = up to the present time 到目前為止 * stop … from… 阻止 … 免於 …
twist [ twIst ] vt. 扭轉 Twist the knob to the right to open the door.
twist [ twIst ] n. [C] 扭轉 Mother gave the lid a twist; then, it came loose.
Words for Production 3. column [ `kAl1m ] n. [C] something which has a tall narrow shape 柱狀物 A huge column of smoke appeared above the volcano and frightened the villagers living at the foot of the mountain. * at the foot of 在 … 的腳下
Words for Production 4. incredible [ In`krEd1bL ] adj. difficult to believe; amazing or fantastic 難以置信的，驚人的 It is incredible that an experienced premier like him should have made such a mistake at this international meeting. * should : 竟然
Words for Production 5. enormous [ I`nOrm1s ] adj. very large; immense 巨大的，龐大的 The terrorist attack in the U.S. on September 11, 2001 caused an enormous panic not only in America but in the rest of the world. * enormous = immense
Words for Production 6. inward [ `Inw2d ] adv. toward the inside 向內地 A breeze blew the curtains inward, making a little noise. 詞類變化 * make noise 發出噪音
inward [ `Inw2d ] adj. 向內的，內部的 She gave an inward push, and then the door opened.
Words for Production 7. precisely [ prI`saIslI ] adv. exactly 精確地，正確地 The functions of this machine are described precisely in the handbook. 詞類變化 * precisely = exactly
precise [ prI`saIs ] adj. 精確的，正確的 I don’t understand what you mean. Can you be more precise?
Words for Production 8. sufficient [ s1`fIS1nt ] adj. enough 足夠的 Ten days were quite sufficient for them to finish the assignment. * sufficient = enough
Words for Production 9. warning [ `wOrnI9 ] n. [U][C] (a) notice of danger 警告 I’m giving you a final warning— don’t be late again, or I’ll punish you. 詞類變化
warn [ wOrn ] vt. 警告，提醒注意 The doctor warned her that she might get lung cancer if she kept smoking. * keep + Ving 繼續
Words for Production 10. suck [ s^k ] vi.; vt. to pull something with great power; to engulf 吸 ( 起 ) ，吞沒 Next
Words for Production 10. suck To prevent further damage to the sea life, the pollution-control team is at the scene and is due to start sucking up the oil leaking from the sunken ship. Don’t go swimming in the stream. The dangerous currents may suck you under the water. * go + 運動 - ing go swimming / bowling / fishing / camping /boating /hunting …
Words for Production 11. tear [ tEr ] vt. to remove or pull something apart with force 掀掉，撕掉 He tore a page out of his notebook and wrote something down.
Words for Production 12. narrow [ `n8ro ] adj. small from one side to the other side 狹窄的 The roads in the city are too narrow to allow many cars to pass through at one time, which is why there are always traffic jams during rush hour. 詞類變化 * too adj / adv to V 太 … 而不 … * 關係代名詞 which 代替前面整個子句。 * traffic jam 交通阻塞 * rush hour 交通尖峰時間
narrowly [ `n8rolI ] adv. 勉強地，幾乎不 The drunken driver ran a red light at full speed and narrowly escaped being hit by a truck. * run a red light 闖紅燈 * at full speed 全速 * narrow escape 千鈞一髮的逃脫 * escape + Ving
1. funnel [ `f^nL ] n. [C] something that is narrow, or narrow at one end, through which a substance flows or is directed 漏斗狀物 Words for Recognition
1. be made up of to be formed by 由 … 組成 The representative group attending the international meeting was made up of outstanding people from all fields. Idioms and Phrases * be made up of = be formed by = be composed of = consist of 由 … 組成
2. be associated with to be connected with; to be linked to 與 … 有關 Landslides occurring around the hills were normally associated with a construction project. Idioms and Phrases
3. be likely to to be probable to; to be expected to 有 可能 The first impression people get of Hong Kong is likely to be that everyone there is in a rush. Idioms and Phrases * in a rush 衝
4. due to because of 因為，由於 Due to the heavy rain and strong wind brought by the typhoon, the 16:30 flight to New York has been canceled. Idioms and Phrases * due to = because of = owing to = on account of
5. in time early or soon enough 及時，來得及 Cancer can be cured if it is discovered in time. Idioms and Phrases
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.