Language Focus (2) 带有 if 的真实条件句 if 从句 ( 表示条件 ) 用现在时, 主句 ( 表示结果 ) 用将来时 If I buy it, the restaurant will be twice the size. If I do it, you won’t be able to come here. If you make it bigger, will you change the name? If I leave, I’ll be much happier.
Exercise Page 126 1. If he does the work, he will shut for 3 months. 2. He will make more money if he converts the restaurant. 3. If he expands the restaurant, he will get more customers. 4. If Polly hands in her notice, she will find a new job. 5. She will be happier if she gives up her job.
(1) 真实条件句, 表示可能的 条件 及其可能带来的结果 1.If it rains, the photographer will take photos in the church. 2.What will we do if she arrives late? 3.Where can he sit if he wants to smoke? 4.You will be tired if you don’t go to bed early the night before your wedding.
Exercise Page 144 1. If you don’t set the alarm, you will be late for the wedding. 2. I will phone a taxi if the car doesn’t arrive. 3. I will send you map if you don’t know where the church is. 4. If you don’t know anybody at the reception, I will introduce you to some of my friends. 5. I will be angry if Tim is late for the wedding.
(2) 条件句表示虚拟 1.If I were you, I would go to London. 2. If I were you, I’d live in the country. 3. If I arrived earlier, I would have the lesson on time.
if 和 when 在状语从句中的用法 : if 表示某事可能, when 表示某事一定会发生, 引导时间状语从句. When I see her, I’ll tell her. 我见到她的时候会告诉她. 用 if 和 when 填空 1.I’m very nervous about the presentation. I’ll be relieved ( 不再 忧虑的 ) ___________ it’s over. 2.I don’t know what to do about inviting Peter to the party. __________ we invite him, his ex-wife ( 前妻 ), Mary, will be upset. 3._________ it rains tomorrow, we’ll go to the cinema. 4. I’m going to the US in the summer. __________ I get there, I’ll visit friends in Los Angeles. 5.I’m pleased that you’re coming to the meeting. __________ you arrive, go straight to the reception. 6.We’ve started to plan our wedding reception ( 婚宴 ). _______ the guests arrive, we’re going to welcome them with champagne. when I If When
Language Focus (1) when 除了引导时间状语从句外, 它本身就是特殊疑问词 可以引导特殊疑问句的疑问词有很多 : when, who, whose, what, which, where, why, how, how long, how often, how far, how old, how much, how many 等.
Exercise Page 156 favourite place in London / name / old / job / come to England do / like England / from / marry 1. What’s your name?Paul 2. Where are you from?I’m from America. 3. How old are you? 38 4. When did you come to England?Two years ago. 5. Why did you come to England?Because I got a job here. 6. What do you do? I’m a journalist. 7. Do you like England? Yes, I do, especially London. It’s great. 8. What’s your favourite place in London? My favourite place? Hyde Park. 9. Are you married?Yes, I am.
Task 1 How about the traditional Chinese wedding? Can you describe it?
1. Preparation: a register office ( 结婚登记处 ) marriage registration ( 登记 ) marriage certificate ( 结婚证 ) 2. Persons: bride ( 新娘 ) / bridegroom ( 新郎 ) bridesmaid ( 伴娘 ) / best man ( 伴郎 ) page boy / master of ceremonies ( 司仪 ) photographer ( 摄影师 ) 3. Wedding reception place : restaurant 4. Ceremony: marriage music ( 婚礼曲 ) loving swear ( 爱情誓言 ) exchange rings ( 交换戒指 ) open the champagne ( 开香槟酒 ) drink the nuptial cup ( 喝交杯酒 ) cut the cake ( 切蛋糕 ) propose a toast / toast ( 敬酒 ) 5. Clothes: bride: a long white dress ( 婚纱 ) ceremonial robe/ dress ( 礼服 ) bridegroom: suit ( 西装 )
Task 2 Can you find the difference between the Chinese wedding and English wedding?
1. Wedding reception place: church ( 教堂 ) pub garden (a long meal music dancing) 2. Form: bride arrives with her father don’t need to roast one table by one table throw a flower ball honeymoon
Reading on Page 137 1. Who got married? Judy Summers (a colleague of Xiaoyan’s ) and Richard Glenn. 2. What sort of wedding was it? It was a traditional wedding. 3. Did it take place in a register office? No, it took place in a church. 4. Who arrived first, the bride or the groom? The groom arrived first. 5. Who was with the groom? His brother was with him. ( The best man was with the groom)
6. Did Judy arrive alone? No, she arrived with her father and with two little girls. 7. What was she wearing? She was wearing a long white dress. 8. What happened after the ceremony? After the ceremony a photographer took several photos. 9. Where was the reception? It was in a hotel. 10. When did the party end? It ended in the early morning.
After the wedding, the couple will choose some places to spend their holidays, we call it honeymoon. 1.Glasgow ( 格拉斯哥 ) 2. Edinburgh ( 爱丁堡 ) 3.Blackpool ( 布莱克浦 ) 4. Scarborough ( 斯卡保罗 ) 5.Liverpool ( 利物浦 ) 6. Manchester ( 曼彻斯特 ) 7.Birmingham ( 伯明瀚 ) 8. Cambridge ( 剑桥 ) 9.Cardiff ( 加的夫 ) 10. Oxford ( 牛津 ) 11.Coventry ( 考文垂 ) 12. London ( 伦敦 ) 13. Bristol ( 布里斯托尔 ) 14. Brighton ( 布赖顿 )
Language Focus (2) 描述方位 1. 一个地方在另一个地方的东, 西, 南, 北方向 Cambridge is north of London. 2. 一个地方在另一个地方范围内的某个地方. Blackpool is in the northwest of England. 3. 在某条河或者海岸线上, 用介词 on Chongqing is on the Yangtze River. 4. 表示两地之间的距离 : 数词 + 距离单位 (mile, kilometer) + from Liverpool is 30 miles from Manchester. 5. 离某地的旅途长短 : a + 时间 + 旅行方式 ( train journey / drive / flight 等 ) + from Newcastle is a three-hour train journey from London.
Exercise Page 149 1.Cambridge is ____________ of London. 2. _____________ is on the River Clyde. 3. _____________ is east of Glasgow. 4. _____________ is on the coast in the north-east of England. 5. _____________ is a three-hour train journey from London. 6.______________ is 30 miles from Manchester. 7. ______________ is near Birmingham. 8. ______________ is west of London, on the coast. 9. ______________ is in the south of London, on the coast. 10. Bristol is in the ____________ of England. north Glasgow Edinburgh Scarborough Manchester Liverpool Coventry Cardiff Brighton west
Exercise Page 150 (northwest, north, China, journey, 1200, northeast, west, an hour’s, from, coast, the Yangtze River/ Chang Jiang) 1.Yinchuan is in ___________________ of ___________. 2. Urumqi is in _________________ of _____________. 3. Shanghai is in _______________ of _______ on _________. 4. Wuhan is on __________________. 5. Harbin is in _________________ of ___________. 6. Changsha is a 15-hour train ____________ from Beijing. 7. Chengdu is ___________ kilometres _________ Guangzhou. 8. Tianjin is _________________ drive from Beijing. the northwestChina the northwest China the east China the coast the Yangtze River the northeast China journey 1200from an hour’s
Two persons are talking about the honeymoon places, please read it and finish “T” & “F” Page 132 1.Tim and Mary have already talked about the different holidays. 2.They discussed the brochures a week ago. 3. They have decided which holiday they want. 4. Mary has visited Egypt. 5. Mary has been on a package holiday. 6.She went to Egypt in 2000. 7. Tim has been to Greece. 8. Tim and Mary have never been to South America. 9. Franco has never been to South America. 10. Tim has tried windsurfing. (T) (F) (T) (F) (T) (F)
Homework 1.Revise Unit 28 & Unit 29, and finish the exercises. 2.Learn and practise vocabulary relating to the holidays and weddings. 3.Practise how to ask and answer wh-questions. 4.Learn how to describe geographical location. 5. Revise the present perfect tense.