Presentation on theme: "Dr. Theresa Myadze, BSW Program Director welcomes you to peruse the frequently asked questions regarding admission prerequisites of WSU’s Bachelor’s of."— Presentation transcript:
Dr. Theresa Myadze, BSW Program Director welcomes you to peruse the frequently asked questions regarding admission prerequisites of WSU’s Bachelor’s of Social Work Program. Courses Required For Admission to the BSW Program at WSU?
1. Which courses do I have to complete before the term that I plan to begin the Social Work major? You must complete the following courses (or their equivalents) no later than the summer preceding the fall semester that you plan to begin the major: ENG 1100 (Academic Writing & Reading) and ENG 2100 (Research Writing and Argument), BIO 1070 (Health & Disease) [or Human Biology or Human Anatomy] or BIO 1050 (Intro to Biology of Food) [Note: These are 4 credit hrs each & include labs for which you must also register.],
2. Continued: COM 2020 (Interpersonal Communication),(At WSU’s Main Campus take COM 4710 Spring 2014 or COM 2410 “Small Groups” thereafter – The Sections for SW majors), ECO 2000 (Economic Life) or ECO 2900 (Social Issues)[Transfer students must take a course with macroeconomic content], SOC 2000 (Intro to Sociology), PLS 2000 (Political Life) or PLS 2120 (American National Government), PSY 1010 (Intro to Psychology) [Note: This course is for 4 credit hours and includes a lab for which you must also register.],
2. Continued: SW 2700 (Intro to Social Work), SW 2710 (Intro to Social Welfare) and SW 2720 (Multicultural Competence in a Diverse World) [Note: Each of the above Social Work courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.]
3. What are the Quarter Equivalents of the Required Semester Courses? Quarter Semester (Note: Courses must be completed before the term you will begin the Social Work major. SW 2700 must be completed before the term you apply for admission) ENG 101 & ENG 102ENG 1100 & ENG 2100 SW 270, SW 271 & SW 272SW 2700, SW 2710 & SW 2720 BIO 105 or 107 or 111 BIO 1050 (4 hours) or BIO 1070 (4 hours) [Or Human Biology or Human Anatomy] SOC 200SOC 2000 PLS 200 or PLS 212PLS 2000 or PLS 2120 ECON 200 or 290 ECON 2000 or ECON 2900 [A course with macroeconomic content is required of transfer students] COM 104 COM 2020 [COM 4710 Spring Semester 2014 or COM 2410 “Small Groups” thereafter for those at WSU Main Campus- Sections for SW majors] PSY 105PSY 1010 (4 hours)
4. Which Transfer Courses Are Equivalent to those Required For Admission to WSU’s BSW Program? The Lake campus, Clark State, Sinclair and Edison have courses equivalent to SW 2700, SW 2710 and SW 2720. Some local community colleges are developing semester course articulation agreements with WSU regarding equivalent courses across the various disciplines. Please meet with your current academic advisor to determine which additional transfer courses are equivalent to the required courses for admission to WSU’s BSW Program.