Presentation on theme: "Kingdom Eubacteria Eu = new or true Shape of bacterial cells a) Cocci - round bacterial cells. (cox-eye). b) Bacilli - rod- shaped bacterial cells. c)"— Presentation transcript:
Kingdom Eubacteria Eu = new or true
Shape of bacterial cells a) Cocci - round bacterial cells. (cox-eye). b) Bacilli - rod- shaped bacterial cells. c) Spirilli (corkscrew) - spiral-shaped bacterial cells A B C
Nutrition in Eubacteria 1.Heterotrophic use food produced by other organisms 2.Saprotrophic feed on dead or decaying matter 3.Autotrophic make their own food
Beneficial Bacteria The overwhelming majority of bacteria are completely harmless A teaspoon of soil generally contains between 100 million and 1 billion bacteria
5 types of friendly bacteria 1. Nature’s recyclers 2. In our body 3. Food production 4. Oil spills 5. Nitrogen fixing bacteria
1) Saprotrophic Bacteria Nature’s recyclers *release nutrients back into the environment *man-made landscapes often lack these good bacteria A scanning electron micrograph of the aerobic soil bacterium Pseudomonas fluorescens. The bacterium uses its long, whiplike flagellae to propel itself through the water layer that surrounds soil particles.
2) Our bodies: Escherichia coli is a normal resident of the intestines in healthy people it helps us break down food waste products We pretty much depend upon E. coli in our intestines for our source of Vitamin K and B- complex vitamins.
3) Food production Streptococcus lactis bacteria convert milk to cheese by causing the souring of milk that begins the cheese making process, bacteria convert grapes to wine and then wine to vinegar The name for this process is FERMENTATION
Fermentation Fermentation A chemical process that occurs when bacteria change sugar into various products It is a way that bacterial cells get energy without using oxygen Examples: Grapes----- Wine Vinegar Milk Yogurt or cheese Cabbage Sauerkraut
4) Oil spills Naturally occurring, oil-eating bacteria are used in response to crude oil spills without causing further harm to the environment.
How do oil spills cause harm? * Birds die from oil spills if their feathers are covered in oil. The bird will then be poisoned because it will try to clean itself. *Oil may also cause the death of an animal by entering the animal’s lungs or liver More than half of the seal pups living off the coast of Mid-Norway are contaminated with oil every spring
5) Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria some plants (peanuts, beans, peas) have pockets of bacteria in their roots can take Nitrogen from the air and make it useful for plants and animals by making the soil fertile helps farmers save $ on fertilizers plants use Nitrogen to make needed proteins