Presentation on theme: "General Electrical Safety. Why is it so important to work safely with or near electricity? The electrical current in regular businesses and homes has."— Presentation transcript:
General Electrical Safety
Why is it so important to work safely with or near electricity? The electrical current in regular businesses and homes has enough power to cause death by electrocution. Even changing a light bulb without unplugging the lamp can be hazardous because coming in contact with the "hot" or live part of the socket could kill a person.
Rules of Electricity Electricity travels in a completed circuit Electricity always travels in the path of least resistance Electricity tries to travel to ground A person usually offers a lessor resistance for the electricity The person forms a completed circuit when touching the ground
What are some general safety tips for working with or near electricity? Inspect tools, power cords, and electrical fittings for damage or wear prior to each use. Repair or replace damaged equipment immediately. Always tape cords to walls or floors when necessary. Do not use nails or staples to hang or hold down cords. Do not tie power cords in tight knots. Knots can cause short circuits and shocks. Loop the cords or use a twist lock plug. Use cords or equipment that is rated for the level of amperage or wattage that you are using. Always use the correct size fuse. Replacing a fuse with one of a larger size can cause excessive currents in the wiring and possibly start a fire. Be aware that unusually warm or hot outlets may be a sign that unsafe wiring conditions exists. Unplug any cords to these outlets and do not use until a qualified electrician has checked the wiring. If the a breaker shorts more than once don’t just turn on stop and investigate why.
What are some general safety tips for working with or near electricity? Place halogen lights away from combustible materials such as cloths or curtains. Halogen lamps can become very hot and may be a fire hazard. Risk of electric shock is greater in areas that are wet or damp. Know where the breakers and boxes are located in case of an emergency. Label all circuit breakers and fuse boxes clearly. Each switch should be positively identified as to which outlet or appliance it is for. Do not use outlets or cords that have exposed wiring. Do not use power tools with the guards removed. Do not block access to circuit breakers or fuse boxes. Do not touch a person or electrical apparatus in the event of an electrical accident. Always disconnect the current first.
What are some tips for working with power tools? Switch tools OFF before connecting them to a power supply. Disconnect power supply before making adjustments. Ensure tools are properly grounded or double-insulated. The grounded tool must have an approved 3-wire cord with a 3-prong plug. This plug should be plugged in a properly grounded 3-pole outlet. Do not use electrical tools in wet conditions or damp locations. Do not clean tools with flammable or toxic solvents.
City of Langley OH&S HSP Only a worker qualified to do electrical work on City facilities and equipment shall be qualified as required by the Electrical Safety Act. The City supervisor shall maintain a list of workers who are capable of performing limited electrical work. –All City workers not possessing an A or B certificate are prohibited to perform electrical work. –No worker other than those specified above is permitted to perform electrical work. –Report any hazards to your direct supervisor.
City of Langley OH&S HSP ELECTRICAL EXTENSION CORDS Prior to use, every electrical cord shall be inspected for damage and wear. Any cord with the following characteristics shall not be used: –Missing or damaged ground tab –Damaged or non-polarized prong –Worn, cut, or otherwise damaged insulating jacket Unsafe electrical cords shall be disposed of immediately or coiled and clearly labeled ‘DO NOT USE - DAMAGED ELECTRICAL CORD’. Electrical extension cords labeled as damaged may be repaired by persons qualified to do so as described in Electrical SWP’s. Extension cords shall not be spliced. Report any hazards immediately to your direct supervisor
Electrical Injury Immediately contact your supervisor who will call for emergency help immediately Everyone experiences minor electrical shocks from time to time. In some cases, however, even small amounts of electricity can be life-threatening because they can produce unconsciousness, cardiac arrest, and cessation of breathing. Electrical shocks also can produce serious, deep burns and tissue injury, although often even a serious electrical burn appears as only a minor mark on the skin. If you find a person whom you think has been electrocuted, look first--do not touch. He or she may still be in contact with the electrical source, and touching him or her may only pass the current through you. If possible, turn off the source of electricity. If this is not possible, move the source away from you and the affected person using a non-conducting object made of cardboard, plastic, or wood. Once the person is free of the source of electricity, check the person's breathing and pulse. If either has stopped or seems dangerously slow or shallow, initiate resuscitation immediately. If the person is faint or pale or shows other signs of shock, lay the person down with the head slightly lower than the trunk of his or her body and the legs elevated. Treat any major burns and wait for emergency medical assistance to arrive.
For more in-depth information please see: The City of Langley's HSP 4.6 Electrical Safety, Doc. #54714