Presentation on theme: "The Nitrogen Cycle. Quick Write In this chapter, you will learn about the formation of the Solar System. Write down these questions and answer them in."— Presentation transcript:
The Nitrogen Cycle
Quick Write In this chapter, you will learn about the formation of the Solar System. Write down these questions and answer them in complete sentences. 1. Why is N important to living things? 2. What percentage of the AS is N?
1. Why do living things need N? For amino acids needed for proteins. 2. Different forms of N in the biosphere? N 2 gas in atmosphere NH 3 (ammonia) Nitrate (NO 3 ) Nitrite (NO 2 )
3. Nitrogen gas (N 2 )? 78% of the AS is made up of this gas. 4. NH 3, NO 2 and NO 3 ? Found in wastes of many orgs and in dead and decaying organic matter.
Check for Understanding Why do living things need N? N 2 gas makes up ___% of the atmosphere. What are the 3 other main types of N on Earth? Movie
5. Nitrogen fixation? Certain bacteria convert N 2 gas into ammonia (NH 3 ). N gets ‘fixed’ into a form plants can use. 6. Then what? Other bacteria convert NH 3 into NO 2 and NO Why are NO 2 and NO 3 important? They help plants grow. Commonly found in fertilizers.
8. Then what? NO 2 and NO 3 can be used by plants to make amino acids and proteins. 9. Animals and N? Consumers use the N from plants to make their amino acids and proteins.
Check for Understanding _____ _____ is the process of converting Nitrogen gas from the atmosphere into a form plants can use. Ammonia gets converted to ____ or ____, both of which are used for plant growth, production of amino acids, and proteins. Movie Where do animals get their Nitrogen for their amino acids and proteins?
10. Denitrification? Where N fixation is converting N 2 gas into NH 3, denitrification is the opposite. 11. DN process? When orgs die, NH 3 returns to soil. 12. Then what? NH 3 used by other plants, or bacteria convert back to N 2 gas.
13. Other ways N is added to environment? Excretion by land orgs Excretion by marine orgs 14. Excretion? NH 3 is found in urine and solid wastes produced by organisms.
Check for Understanding Denitrification is the process where ____ is converted back to ____ and released to the AS. What is another process where Nitrogen is added to the environment by land and marine organisms?