Presentation on theme: "Grace Fellowship Church www.GraceDoctrine.org Pastor/Teacher - Jim Rickard Tuesday, August 4, 2009."— Presentation transcript:
Grace Fellowship Church www.GraceDoctrine.org Pastor/Teacher - Jim Rickard Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Memory Verse Heb 4:16, “Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
John 14:17, The Spirit of Truth Indwelling of God the Holy Spirit Part 7
Doctrine of the Holy Spirit’s Ministry C. The Ministry of the Holy Spirit to Old Testament Believers.
1. It was extended to very few believers and only for special purposes. There was no indwelling or filling of the Spirit in the O.T.
2. His ministry included the prophets when “moved” by the Spirit, and officers, judges or rulers who were under the guiding power of the Spirit of God.
3. The purpose was to empower and enable certain believers to accomplish the will of God under certain and varying circumstances.
a. It was to a few believers and sometimes only temporary, but in the N.T. the Spirit's ministry is permanent to all believers.
4. It is called enduement: clothed with the Spirit (LABASH), to empower; invest or endow with some gift, quality, or faculty of power; clothed with power or ability above and beyond human ability.
a. The N.T. uses this definition once in Luke 24:49 in regard to the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the Church Age, (ENDUO).
Luke 24:49, “And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”
5. Enduement was for the accomplishment of divinely appointed undertakings including mechanical tasks and works of art. Ex 28:3; 31:3; Num 27:18
6. There was no provision for, and no promise of, a permanent presence of the Holy Spirit in the life of any O.T. saint.
“Sovereign” best describes the Spirit’s relation to saints of the O.T. He came and departed according to His sovereign good pleasure.
The faith of men was not a primary determiner for the Spirit’s actions.
7. Petition for the Spirit’s presence and power was possible.
7. Petition for the Spirit’s presence and power was possible. a. Elisha requested a “double portion”. 2 Kings 2:9-14
7. Petition for the Spirit’s presence and power was possible. b. David prayed in Psa 51:11, “Do not take Your Holy Spirit from me”.
1) Two things are evident:
1) Two things are evident: a) The Holy Spirit might be taken away from the O.T. believer.
1) Two things are evident: b) Petition that the presence and power of the Holy Spirit might increase and endure for a longer period of time could be made.
8. Three phrases explain the Spirit’s enduement ministry to O.T. believers.
a. “He was in certain ones”. 1) Joseph as recognized by Pharaoh, Gen 41:38. 2) Joshua, Num 27:18. 3) Daniel, Dan 4:8; 5:11-14; 6:3.
b. “The Spirit came upon some”. Num 24:2; Judges 3:10; 6:34; 11:29; 13:25; 1 Sam 10:10; 16:13; 2 Chron. 15:1
c. “The Spirit filled” Bezalel. Ex 31:3; 35:31
Grace Fellowship Church Grace Fellowship Church Tuesday, August 4, 2009 Tape # 09-052 The Spirit of Truth – The Indwelling Holy Spirit, Part 7 Upper Room Discourse, Part 284 John 14:17; Luke 24:29; Ex 28:3; 31:3; Num 27:18 James H. Rickard Bible Ministries 2009