Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Advanced Placement Environmental Science La Cañada High School “Dr. E” Mark Ewoldsen, Ph.D.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Advanced Placement Environmental Science La Cañada High School “Dr. E” Mark Ewoldsen, Ph.D."— Presentation transcript:

1 Advanced Placement Environmental Science La Cañada High School “Dr. E” Mark Ewoldsen, Ph.D.

2 APES Course Description This is an advanced interdisciplinary course preparing students for the national AP exam, using college text and requiring college level skills. The students will understand the interrelationships of the natural world, identify and analyze environmental problems, and evaluate the relative risks of and possible solutions for these problems.

3 One Rule Show Respect

4 Letter Grade Policy A separate total will be kept for Homework/Quizzes/Lab Reports (20%), Tests (60%), and a cumulative final (20%) Grades will not be rounded up A test will be dropped at the semester if you have a homework grade of 80%

5 Tests Multiple Choice: According to the World Bank what is the predicted stabilization number for the worldwide population? A.11 billion B. 9 billion C. 8 billion D. 15 billion FRQ: Answer parts of the questions The 1990 United States census revealed that for the first time, a majority of Americans live in suburbs of major cities or in suburban-like communities. A. List three factors why this trend may not be sustainable from a resource point of view. B. Explain why each of the three reasons you have listed is not sustainable and the possible consequences of each. C. What national public policy decisions made the United States into a suburban country as opposed to Europe that is largely urbanized? D. Many environmentalists think the 21 st century as the “Century of the City.” State whether or not you agree or disagree with this statement and include three reasons as support.

6 Homework Homework will be turned in on the day of the test No homework will be accepted late except for excused absences and then within the same number of days you were absent Quizzes will be used to help prepare you for the tests –Remember that notes may be used on the quizzes

7 Labs Lab Reports are based on a 20-point scale Labs are due the day after the lab is completed and will not be accepted late If you are absent on the day of a lab, you may be asked to write a report on the concept if the lab has been taken down

8 Assignments On the board On the Internet at

9 Field Trips Water Sampling in Hahamonga once per month

10

11 Hyperion Water Treatment PlantHyperion Water Treatment Plant

12 Scattergood Electrical Plant

13 JPL Tour?

14 Topics Covered Scientific systems and models Matter and Energy Ecosystems Biomes Evolution and Biodiversity Community Processes Deforestation and Loss of Biodiversity

15 Topics Covered Mineral and Soil Resources Atmosphere and Air Pollution Risk, Toxicology, and Human Health Human Population Dynamics Water and Water Pollution Energy Resources Food Resources

16 Teaching Method Student Centered with an emphasis on preparation for college –Required note taking from chapters as a way of review –Large number of assignments with computers Use of Search engines PowerPoint Presentations Simulations –Hands on/On site Learning Humor

17 Any Questions?


Download ppt "Advanced Placement Environmental Science La Cañada High School “Dr. E” Mark Ewoldsen, Ph.D."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google