Presentation on theme: "Burmah Road Gospel Hall ( 28 April, 2013) Amos Ch. 9 Look at the Lord's Retribution - Amos 9:1-10 Remnant – Amos 9:11-12 and Restoration - Amos 9:13-15."— Presentation transcript:
Burmah Road Gospel Hall ( 28 April, 2013) Amos Ch. 9 Look at the Lord's Retribution - Amos 9:1-10 Remnant – Amos 9:11-12 and Restoration - Amos 9:13-15
A Recapitulation of the Visions of Amos: chs. 7-9 The Prophecy of Amos concludes with five Particular visions of judgment: 1 st vision of the locusts. 7:1-3 2 nd vision of the fire. 7:4-6 3 rd vision of the plumb line.7:7-9 4 th vision of the basket of fruit. 8:1-14 and 5 th vision of the ruined temple. 9:1-10 For three transgressions of… and for four, I will not turn away… The LORD relented. "This will not happen," the LORD said. (NIV)
The Prophecy of Amos concludes with five Particular visions of judgment These Primary visions centre on Amos’ three Personal experiences in which… Amos struggles with God and man.ch. 7 Announces that judgment is coming. ch. 8 Affirms that God is working out His perfect plan.ch. 9 The Promise of the future glorious kingdom Promised to God’s People concludes the Prophecy. 9:11-15
Introduction: The Fifth Final Vision of the Ruined Temple: The Lord standing by the altar.9:1 Was it the Altar at Jerusalem? Was it the altar at Bethel? Cf. Amos 3:13-15 Cf. 1 Kgs. 12:33; Amos 7:13
A. THE LORD’S RETRIBUTION – HIS THREE AFFIRMATIONS: Amos 9:1-10 1. The Announcement by the Altar - 9:1a (1-4) a.Smite the Temple – i.Temple posts to be Shaken and heads Shattered.9:1b, NRSV cf. 3:13-15 The lintel of the door/capitals. The posts; the thresholds. Cut them in the head, all of them.
1. The Announcement by the Altar - 9:1a a. Smite the Temple 9:1b b. I will Slay the last of them 9:1c The last of them (Am 4:2); the remnant; i. e. any who escapes the fall of the temple. He that fleeth, etc. All hope of escape shall be cut off. Cut off the heads of all the people who yet remain alive.
a. Smite the Temple – 9:1b b. I will Slay the last of them - 9:1c c. I Will Search.9:2-4 i.Though they dig into Hades (Sheol) or climb up to Heaven.9:2 ii.Though they Hide in High Carmel the Lord will Search for them or Sink into the deepest Sea, the Serpent will bite them. 9:3 ct. Ps. 139:7-12
a. Smite the Temple – 9:1b b. I will Slay the last of them - 9:1c c. I Will Search. 9:2-4 iii. Though they go into Captivity God will Command their Captors to Slay them by the Sword. 9:4a iv. In Short, they are Short-listed for evil; they are not Subjects for good.9:4b
1. The Announcement by the Altar 9:1-4 2.The Affirmation of the Lord’s Attributes. 9:5-7 a.He is the Lord GOD of Hosts (9 occ.) 9:5a i.e. the Lord of the armies of heaven and earth. i.He is the Great God, a Ruler of the heavenly bodies.9:6 ii. He is the Monarch of a Multitude of heavenly spirits who execute His Will, Worship Him in His abiding place, and are…Witnesses of His glory.
2. The Affirmation of the Lord’s Attributes. 9:5-7 a. He is the Lord GOD of Hosts9:5a i. He is the Great God. ii. He is the Monarch of a Multitude iii. He is the God of Creation.9:5, 6 He that toucheth the land, and it shall Melt. All that dwell therein shall Mourn. 9:5b cp. 8:8 The whole land Mounts (rises) like the Nile, then sinks like the river of Egypt.9:5c He who Makes (builds) His lofty palace in the heavens and sets its foundation on the earth. }9:6a, NIV Who Musters (calls) for the waters of the sea, and pours them out upon the surface of the earth--9:6b Cf. the Deluge (Am 5:8; Gen. 7:4, 11).
2. The Affirmation of the Lord’s Attributes. 9:5-7 a. He is the Lord GOD of Hosts9:5a b. The Lord is His name. 9:6c cf. 5:8 i.His Sovereignty in Creation; He Can melt the earth. cf. 4:13 He Controls the heavens. ii. His Sovereignty in His Covenant. As Lord (Yahweh) He will keep His Covenant. He will Live up to His Name and keep His Word to judge those who have disobeyed Him.
2. The Affirmation of the Lord’s Attributes. 9:5-7 a. He is the Lord GOD of Hosts9:5a b. The Lord is His name. 9:6c cf. 5:8 c. He is the God of History:9:7 He is the God of Israel – He brought them out of Egypt yet they turned against Him. They are no different from: The Ethiopians (the Cushites) Their arch Enemies: The Philistines from Caphtor (cf. Jer. 47:4; Zeph. 2:5) [Crete] The Syrians (Arameans, NRSV) from Kir (cf. 1:5) Israel – from Election to Exile. Cf. 4:2-3; 5:5, 27; 6:7; 7:11, 17; 9:4
1. The Announcement by the Altar 9:1-42. 2. The Affirmation of the Lord’s Attributes. 9:5-7 3. The Acts of the Lord’s Adverse Judgments. 9:8-10 a.He Will Destroy the Sinful and yet a remnant will be Saved.9:8 i.He will destroy the Sinful as a nation – cf. the Assyrian invasion in 722B.C. ii. But He will Save a remnant because of His Covenant with Jacob. Yet God would not totally destroy the house of Jacob
ii. But He will Save a remnant because of His Covenant with Jacob. Cf. God’s Covenant with His People. Lev. 26:39-44 The Punishment Predicted for disobedience: Lev. 26:39 The Condition in Confession:Lev. 26:40, 41 The Covenant reCalled.Lev. 26:42- 44 Then will I remember My covenant with Jacob, and also My covenant with Isaac, and also My covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.
3. The Acts of the Lord’s Adverse Judgments. 9:8-10 a. He Will Destroy the Sinful yet a remnant will be Saved.9:8 b. He will Shake and Sift as corn in a Sieve, yet Save Some.Amos 9:9, NRSV i.The Explanation: Israel will be dispersed among the nations to rid the false. ii.The Illustration: As in grain in a sieve is sifted. iii.The Exception: yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth.
a. He Will Destroy the Sinful yet remnant Saved. b. He will Shake and Sift as in a Sieve, yet Save Some. c. He will Slay by the Sword all Sinners – none will be Saved.9:10 i.No Arrogant Sinner will Escape. ii.No Self-confident Sinner will be Exempted iii.The Summary of the three Stern Messages: 9:8-10 The Disobedient kingdom is to be Destroyed.9:8 The People will be Punished by God and Persecuted among all nations. 9:9 The Sword is to Slay all the Sinners. 9:10
A. THE LORD’S RETRIBUTION – Amos 9:1-10 B. THE LORD’S REMNANT.Amos 9:11-12 1.The Parenthesis in the Prophecy – in that day.Amos 9:11a a.The Prophets’ Perspective - I Pet. 1:10, 11 i.The Grief (Sufferings) of Christ leading to the Cross. ii.The Glory to follow – The Coming Millennium iii.The Gap in between – The Church Age. b. The Proclamation of the Period of the Day of the Lord – in that day. cf. 5:16-20 See Zech. 14
1. The Parenthesis in the Prophecy. 2. The Part of David in Prophecy. a. The Fall of David’s Dynasty –9: 11a i.The Assyrian Captivity of the Northern Kingdom. 722B.C. ii.The Babylonian Captivity of the Southern Kingdom. 606-536B.C. iii.From the Destruction of Jerusalem to the present: no king, no priest, no temple, no sacrifice. (70A.D.) b. The Raising of the Ruins –9:11 i.God will raise up the Tabernacle (Tent) of David that is fallen.9:11a ii.God will close up the breaches thereof. 9:11b iii.God will raise up his ruins9: 11c
c. The Remnant of Edom will be Reunited with Israel.Amos 9:12 i. Edom would no more be Enemies – they would Share in the Promises to David ct. Amos 1:11, 12 ii. Gentile Nations would no more be Godless – they would Shelter under the Dominion of King David. Cf. Deut. 28:9-10; 1 Kgs 8:43. iii. All Nations Belong to God and will be under the Blessings of the Davidic Kingdom.
d. The Character of God will Confirm His Covenant – saith the Lord. Amos 9:12 The Confirmation in the Council of Jerusalem. Acts 15:13-17 9:12 = Remnant of Edom = Rest of Mankind (LXX) quoted in Acts 15:16, 17 as the Residue of men. i.The Calling out of the Church - how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for His name.Acts 15:14 ii. After this I will Return, and will build again the tabernacle of David…Acts 15:15, 16 And will Raise again the ruins thereof, iii. That the Residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom My name is called.. Acts 15:17
A. THE LORD’S RETRIBUTION – Amos 9:1-10 B. THE LORD’S REMNANT.Amos 9:11-12 C. THE LORD’S RESTORATION.Amos 9:13-15 The Covenant Promise Charted: Israel shall be Productive, Planted, Protected and never to be Pulled up from the land again. 9:13-15 1. There will be Prosperity.9:13 a. the plowman shall overtake the reaper b. the treader of grapes him that soweth seed c. the mountains shall drop sweet wine d. all the hills shall melt
The Covenant Promise Charted: 1. There will be Prosperity.9:13b 2. There will be Peace – 9:14 a. And I will bring again the captivity of My people of Israel. b. they shall build the waste cities and inhabit them; c. they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof d. they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
2. The Covenant Promise Charted: a. There will be Prosperity.9:13b b. There will be Peace – 9.14 3. There will be Permanence.9:15 i.I will plant them upon their land ii.and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them. Saith the LORD thy God. The Coming Covenant Confirmed - Behold, the days come... 9:13a saith the LORD –At the Commencement of the Promise saith the LORD –At the Conclusion of the Prophecy, 9:15 thy God – with a Personal note. 9:15 HE WILL BRING TO PASS!