Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

CALM AND BUSH FOREVER IMPLEMENTATION 9 June 2006 David Mitchell Department of Conservation and Land Management.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "CALM AND BUSH FOREVER IMPLEMENTATION 9 June 2006 David Mitchell Department of Conservation and Land Management."— Presentation transcript:

1 CALM AND BUSH FOREVER IMPLEMENTATION 9 June 2006 David Mitchell Department of Conservation and Land Management

2 OUTLINE.  Current Situation.  Manager of Conservation Estate.  Off-reserve and Advisory programs.  Future.  Issues and topics for discussion.

3 In 2000 Bush Forever identified 51,200 ha (287 sites). Remnant vegetation and Bush Forever Sites

4 CALM managed BF sites = 25,905 ha (102 sites). To date taken on an additional 4,100 ha Remnant vegetation, Bush Forever Sites and CALM estate

5 Urban Nature.  Provide technical advice, support and coordination of information for all bushland managers.  Identify and promote best practice bushland management  Capacity build bushland managers  Site specific advice and assistance  Focus on Bush Forever sites

6 Geraldton carnation weed in Paganoni Swamp Bush Forever Site 395  Present around edges, requires management to prevent further invasion.  Workshops and workdays to raise awareness of the weed and its impacts  Brochures and information  Setting up trials to test herbicide effectiveness  Working with Friends, Perth Biodiversity Project, Regional Parks, and Rockingham Regional Environment Centre

7 Urban Nature: commitments for  Skills for Nature Conservation training courses.  Ecoplan News, quarterly  Continuing trials to determine best practice  Bushland management demonstration days at 3 BF sites  Urban Nature training courses  Nationally accredited week long weeds course  one day workshops  Contact rural landowners offering advice and copy of Bushland Weeds

8 Other Off-reserve Programs.  Voluntary Nature Conservation Covenants.  Land for Wildlife  Bushland Benefits  Direct specialist advice  Programs of other organisations  All “Opt-in” programs

9 THE FUTURE. Increased areas under management responsibility  To date taken on an additional 4,100 ha ($0).  land management responsibility rises from 25,900ha in 2000 to over 38,000ha by  Level of management effort varies over sites.  Reserve “design” and threats  Levels of public use

10 THE FUTURE. Costs of management.  CALM range from $20/ha to $900/ha.  Smaller urban reserves at higher end.  Local governments managing bushland (mostly smaller areas, high visitation) for $1,000/ha.  Capital/establishment costs 3-4 times higher  Revegetation and reconstruction is 10 to 100 times/ha.

11 THE FUTURE. Additional off-reserve need.  If CALM expects to manage 38,000ha or more – ie 73% of BF area.  This leaves 14,000ha (27%) not under direct CALM management:  Local Government – 3,400 ha  State Government – 2,000 + ha  Commonwealth Government – 4,800 ha  Rural private ownership – 2,800 ha  100+ Friends Groups

12 THE FUTURE. The Gaps.  Delivery gaps – not all sites are in final management  Expectation gaps – what level of management, advice?  Process gaps – what mechanisms exist or need to exist?  Encouragement and incentives to private landowners.  Resource gap – to fund additional level of existing service and new services.

13 THANK YOU


Download ppt "CALM AND BUSH FOREVER IMPLEMENTATION 9 June 2006 David Mitchell Department of Conservation and Land Management."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google