6.6 Fractions in word problems NOW WE CAN USE CALCULATORS!
14. Kiontae has 10 liters of Dr. Pepper he would like to split evenly among 3 friends and himself. How much Dr. Pepper will each person get?
15. Makayla has 4 ½ pounds of popcorn. Hailey has 6 1/5 pounds of popcorn. How many more pounds of popcorn does Hailey have?
16. Skylar wants to ride her scooter from her house to Madison’s house at a distance of 2 ¾ miles. Skylar and Madison then need to ride another 1 4/5 miles to get to Kristina’s house to study for the Midpoint Exam. What distance will Skylar have traveled from her house to Kristina’s house?
18. Messiah can knit one scarf with 10 ½ yards of yarn. All 5 of her teachers want one! How much yarn will she need to knit all her teachers scarves? (just joking Messiah, you don’t have to knit us all scarves!)
19. During the last hotdog eating contest, Omard ate 5 ½ hotdogs, D.T. ate 6 ¾ hotdogs, and Isaiah ate 8 ¼ hotdogs. How many hotdogs did the boys eat altogether?
20. Richard and A.J. are planning a summer trip to King’s Dominion. The total cost of their trip will be $240.00. They are able to save 1/6 of the cost each month. How much will they save in three months? Richard and A.J.
21. Daisha is making a party mix that calls for 2 ½ cups of peanuts, 4 ¾ cups of Rice Chex, 2 cups of pretzels, and 3 1/6 cups of goldfish. How much party mix will Daisha make?
22. Nick and Devon know that 1/8 of the jelly bellies are popcorn flavored. There are 48 jelly bellies in all. How many are popcorn flavored?
23. Cody watched a bumblebee buzz 2 ¾ yards to a daisy and then another 3 1/3 yards to a dandelion. How far did the bumblebee buzz?
6.7 Word problems with decimals and whole numbers
24. Asa, Bruce, and Chris plan to buy a game system that costs $529.98. The boys have saved $150.00. They plan to split the cost of the remaining balance. How much more does each boy need to save before they can buy their game system? $529.99
25. Crystal, Danielle, and Maggie purchased 3 packs of markers at a cost of $8.75 a pack and 3 packs of colored paper at a cost of $3.49 a pack to make holiday cards. The girls had $50.00 to spend. How much money did they have left after their purchases?
26. Si La is budgeting for her candy bar fund raiser. She sold 215 candy bars on Saturday. If she sold the same number of candy bars each Saturday for the next 15 weeks, how many candy bars can she plan on selling?
Simple Probability The spinner shown is spun once. Write each answer as a fraction, a decimal, and a percent. 27. P (a multiple of 2) 28. P (greater than 3)
29. In a drawer there are 7 blue socks. What is the probability of choosing a blue sock? A. 7 B. 1 C. 1/7 D. 0
A coin is tossed, and the spinner shown is spun 30.P (A or B spun and tails) Is this independent or dependent?
Find the probability that a randomly tossed bean bag will land in the unshaded region of each board. 31. 32.
33. Chuck has the following sports equipment in a bag: Footballs 4 Soccer Balls 2 Baseballs 3 Tennis Balls 1 Chuck chooses a random ball and throws it. He decides to randomly choose a second ball as well. What is the probability Chuck chooses a FOOTBALL, and then a TENNIS BALL? Is this independent or dependent?
For each of the situations listed, write I for independent or D for dependent. 35. ___ A yellow marble is chosen from a bag of marbles and is not replaced before choosing another. 34. ___A number cube is rolled in the game and lands on 5. 37. ___ A nickel is flipped five times, and lands on heads all five times. 36. ___ A candy bar is chosen from a box, is replaced, and then another candy bar is chosen. 38. ___ Mr. K eats a jelly doughnut, then chooses another jelly doughnut.