Presentation on theme: "AYVALIK CITY TOUR. HISTORICAL HOUSES AND STREETS OF AYVALIK."— Presentation transcript:
AYVALIK CITY TOUR
HISTORICAL HOUSES AND STREETS OF AYVALIK
ALIBEY (CUNDA) ISLAND
Cunda Island, also called Alibey Island, (Turkish: Cunda Adası, Alibey Adası) is a small island in the northwestern Aegean Sea off the coast of Ayvalık, part of Balıkesir Province of Turkey. It is the largest island in the Ayvalık Islands group. It is close to Lesbos, Greece. Cunda is linked to Ayvalık on the mainland by a causeway. The island has a typical resort town, Alibey, and a bus and ferry link to Ayvalık. The island’s former Greek population was expelled in the 1923 population exchange between Greece and Turkey and was replaced by Muslims from Crete, Cretan Turks, ensuring a general sense of hospitality. The main landmark of Alibey village remains the large former Greek Orthodox cathedral, now abandoned and dilapidated.
TAKSIYARHIS CHURCH Taksiyarhis is Ayvalik's most famous church. Built in 1873 the church is closed today as it is in a state of disrepair. During its heyday the church was famous for its architecture, marble workmanship, ceiling frescoes, icons and portraits of the saints.