Presentation on theme: "Beautiful Attitudes Bankruptcy Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God. Matthew 5:3."— Presentation transcript:
Beautiful Attitudes Bankruptcy Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God. Matthew 5:3
1. Bankruptcy is spiritual and not financial. “These beatitudes aren’t a list of pious hopes of what will be. They are not glowing but vague prophecies of some future bliss. They are congratulations on what is” William Barclay
1. Bankruptcy is spiritual and not financial Wonderful news, beautiful news for the poor in spirit ~ the kingdom of heaven is yours. Wonderful news, beautiful news for the mourners ~ You’re going to be comforted.
1. Bankruptcy is spiritual and not financial Luke 18:13 - "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner." Isaiah 6:5 - "Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."
1. Bankruptcy is spiritual and notfinancial John 5:30 “I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.” John 14:10 – “Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works.”
1. Bankruptcy is spiritual and not financial Romans 8:31 - "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."
2. Spiritual riches are both now and eternal. Matthew 18:3-4 "And said, Truly I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, you can not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever will humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven
2. Spiritual riches are both now and eternal. Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
2. Spiritual riches are both now and eternal. James 4:6 "But he gives more grace. Wherefore he says, God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
2. Spiritual riches are both now and eternal. “What makes humility so desirable is the marvelous thing it does to us; it creates in us a capacity for the closest possible intimacy with God” Monica Baldwin.