Presentation on theme: "Sedimentary Rock Notes pp. 102 - 105. 1. The Steps of any rock becoming a sedimentary rock are: Sedimentary Rock Steps: a.Weathering – breaking rock into."— Presentation transcript:
1. The Steps of any rock becoming a sedimentary rock are: Sedimentary Rock Steps: a.Weathering – breaking rock into smaller pieces or fragments of rock called sediment. b.Erosion – moving smaller pieces from one place to another. c.Strata – deposited in layers that continue to cover older layers. d.Compacted – older layers are compressed/packed in on top of by other layers. e.Cementation – a natural cementing that binds the rock and mineral fragments together into a sedimentary rock.
2. Weathering can break down a rock into smaller pieces by… Wind Water Ice sunlight gravity
3. Sedimentary rock forms ___ or ____ Earth’s surface. The ___ and ___ used to make sedimentary rock is much less than what it takes to make an igneous or metamorphic rock. At Near Heat pressure
4. The most noticeable feature of a sedimentary rock is its _____ or ____, which is a ____, ______ layer of rock that is visible from a distance. Layers Strata Single horizontal
p. 105: Stratification is… The process in which sedimentary rocks are arranged in layers.
5. Sedimentary rocks are classified by the way they _____. There are ____ ways a sedimentary rock can form. Form Three (3)
Clastic Sedimentary Rock Made of fragments of rocks cemented together. Coarse Grain Example: Conglomerate Medium Grain Example: sandstone, siltstone Fine Grain Example: shale
Chemical Sedimentary Rock Forms from solutions of dissolved minerals and water. Example: Halite
Organic Sedimentary Rock Forms from the remains of plants and animals that once lived in the ocean. A fossil is a skeleton or imprint of the remains of plants or animals from long ago. Examples: Fossiliferous limestone & coal.