3Objectives Students would: 1. be able to successfully finish listening, speaking,reading and writing tasks related to the theme of“parental love”, with the help of theme vocabulary.2. improve the accuracy of their spoken and writtenoutput, thanks to theme words and expressions.3. improve the fluency of their spoken output duringthe completion of the chains of tasks.4. understand the great love, and gain insight intotheir own parental love.
41.Tell the story entitled “The apple tree and the boy”Chop offbranchtrunkroot
5The Boy and the Apple Tree (cartoon story) 这就是我们每个人的故事。这颗树就是我们的父母。小时候，我们喜欢和爸爸妈妈玩……长大后，我们就离开他们，只在需要什么东西或者遇到麻烦的时候，才回到他们身边。无论如何，父母永远都在那儿，倾其所有使你快乐。
62. News ResponseSomebody calls for the society to raise fund for a poor college graduate who wants to have further study as a postgraduate while his 90-year old grandma has to work to support his study.Will you give money in this case? Why or why not?If you were the boy, what would be your choice?
73. Proverbs1) Difficult circumstances serve as a textbook of life for people.困难坎坷是人们的生活教科书。2) Man is man and master of his fate.人就是人，是自己命运的主人。3) A strong man will struggle with the storms of fate. (Thomas Addison)强者能同命运的风暴抗争。--爱迪生4) Man struggles upwards; water flows downwards.人往高处走，水往低处流5) Actions speak louder than word.行动胜于言语
86） While there is life there is hope. 一息若存，希望不灭。7）You have to believe in yourself. That's the secret of success. （Charles Chaplin）人必须有自信，这是成功的秘密。 （卓别林 ）8）Cease to struggle and you cease to live. （Thomas Carlyle ）生命不止，奋斗不息。 （ 卡莱尔）9） Energy and persistence conquer all things. (Benjamin Franklin)能量加毅力可以征服一切。 （富兰克林 ）
101. Talk about Your FatherWhat kind of father is your father?
11He is persistent. Once he sets a goal, he will not give it up easily. TipsHe is persistent. Once he sets a goal, he will not give it up easily.muscular manly persistent bravediligent liberal generous strong-willed mild gentle kind solemnable intelligent talented resourcefulfrank honest competent eloquent humorous insightful warm-hearted sincereambitious wise learned hot-temperedrole model
122. How do people treatcrippled people? Whatabout you?
13A wise man once said every society is judged by how it treats it's least fortunate amongst them. Tipsthe disabled / handicapped / crippled, normal, abnormal, weird, lower, equal, fair, optimistic, pessimisticdisability, prejudice, bias, unwanted attention, goodwill, good intention, ill will, ill intentiontreat sb. as..., look down upon, stare and point, regardfairly, unfairly, unequally
151. Structure of Text I was embarrassed to seen with my father. Para.1-2How my father went to work.Para. 3-4What my father looked for was a goodheart, not pity.Para. 5-7My father participated in some thingsin some way.Para.8-11I miss my father very much.Para.12-13
16Q: 2. Questions to Comprehension 1) How did the writer feel to be seen with his father when he was young? Why? (Para. 1)Reference Words:embarrassed; crippled, inwardly struggle, unwanted attention
17Q:2) What did the father always say when he started out with his son? (Para. 2)Reference Words:set the pace, adjust to
18Q: 3) How did the writer’s father treat his work? (Para. 3) Reference Words:subway, nasty, sick, make it to, a matter of pride
19Q:4) How did the father go to work when the weather was very bad? (Para. 4)Reference Words:Brooklyn→subway→Manhattanwagon, cling to, tunnel, basement
20Q: 5) Why do I now feel amazed at what my father did? (Para. 5) Reference Words:courage, subject to, shame, stress, bitterness, complaint
21Q:6) According to the text, what is a proper standard to judge people? (Para. 6-11)Reference Words:a good heart
22Para.8A general point:My father tried toparticipate in manyactivities in some way.Example1:Example2:keep the team goingas a managerlike to go todances and parties
23Para.11I now know he participated in some things through me,his only son.A general point:Example2:Example3:Example1:joined the Navyvisited his officeplayed ball
24Q:7) Why does the writer often think of his father, now that his father has been dead for so many years? (Para )Reference Words:sorry, unworthy, regret, trifles, fortune, be envious of, a good heart
258) “You set the pace. I’ll try to adjust to you” take appearance at both the beginning and the ending. Do they have the same meaning? (Para. 2, 13)Q:Reference:Who says this sentence respectively?
271) adjust: to change so that it fits or works better调整，适应 Translation The soldiers quickly adjusted to the harsh circumstances.士兵们很快就适应了这种艰苦的环境。这个孤儿一直适应不了没有父母在身边照料的生活。The orphan can’t adjusted to the life without parents’ care.
282. despite: (+ n. / -ing) in spite of ; although尽管，虽然 Translation Despite all our efforts to save the school, the authorities decided to close it.虽然我们极力挽救，当局仍然决定要关闭这所学校。Her voice was shaking despite all her efforts to control it.虽然她竭力控制，但是声音仍然在发抖。
293) amaze: fill sb. with great surprise or wonder使大为惊讶 Translation The beauty of the area never ceases to amaze me.这个地方的美丽风光总是让我大为惊讶。孩子们听说她的奶奶就是那位白人老太太时大为吃惊。The kids were amazed when they heard that her granny was that old white lady.
30Collocationbe amazed at / by / to do sth.Most of the audience were amazed ____ his skillful performance.I was amazed ____ his strong will for money.
31amaze, frustrate, embarrass, upset, disgust, disturb, annoy Associationamaze, frustrate, embarrass,upset, disgust, disturb, annoyIn __________, he quitted from the club.Such ___________ noise made him awake for the whole night.The staff are quite ____________ by the manager’s endless instructions and so-called jokes.What a ____________ smell! I feel like throwing up now.The teacher felt quite ____________ when he couldn’t give a satisfactory answer to the boy.frustrationannoyingdisturbeddisgustingembarrassed
324. subject: open to; cause to experience or suffer使遭受 Translation The scientists subjected the product to a number of severe tests.科学家对这种产品进行了数次严格的测试。重灾区的人民受到了凝冻天气的考验。People in the heavily stricken area were subjected to the test of icy weather.
335. engage: to be doing or to become involved in an activity TranslationThe toy didn't engage her interest for long.这个玩具不能长时间吸引住她的注意力。只有百分之十的美国成年人参与常规的体育锻炼。Only 10% of American adults engage in regular exercise.
34Collocationengage in/on/upon Mr Armstrong was engaged in prayer. engage in doing sth Despite her illness, she remains actively engaged in shaping policy. engage sb's interest/attention The toy didn't engage her interest for long. engage sb to do sth Her father engaged a tutor to improve her maths.
354. Useful Expressions keep / regain one’s balance 保持/重新获得平衡 lean on 依靠 set the pacemake ita matter ofon one occasionon leavesee (to it) thatbe envious ofwith reluctancein frustrationin some wayhaving a good time doing…complain about保持/重新获得平衡依靠定步调成功地做……一件……的事有一次休息确保嫉妒有些勉强沮丧中用某种方式，在一定程度上做……很愉快抱怨
361) lean on： depend on for support and encouragement Translation 我们有困难时总寻求父母的支持。We always lean on our parents when we are in trouble.They leaned heavily on their daughter’s talent in music.他们主要依靠女儿在音乐方面的天份而生活。
37① to arrive somewhere in time for sth. 2) make it:① to arrive somewhere in time for sth.② to be successful in a particular activityTranslation离火车开车还有些时间，我想如果抓紧，我们能赶上。There’s some time before the train leaves. I think we shall make it if we hurry.
383) have a good time: (have a hard time, difficult time doing sth.) TranslationI had a difficult time getting adjusted to the campus life.我很难适应学校生活。我费了好大劲才拿到驾照。I had a hard time getting the driving license.
394) in some way: in a certain manner Associationin a way, in no wayIn a way__________, he is right in saying so.在某种程度上，他这样说是对的。You can __________allow this situation to continue.你决不能允许这种情况再继续下去。in no way
405) be content to do/be content with sth. 满足于做某事， 对……感到满足Translation你对目前的薪水满意吗？Are you content with your present salary?现在的大学生不再满足英语课堂的听讲，他们要求能够参与的课堂。Nowadays, the college students are no longer content to sit and listen English class. They want the kind of class they can participate in.
416) see to it that…: 一定要，注意到…… Translation一定要预习课文。See to it that you preview the text.请务必在流水下洗手三十秒钟以去除传染性病毒。See to it that you wash your hands for 30 seconds under the spout to get rid of some infectious virus.
42And when I came home on leave, he saw to it that I visited his office And when I came home on leave, he saw to it that I visited his office. (L41)see to: take care; make suresee to it +that clausesee + that clausee.g. 注意不要再迟到。See that you are not late again.
437) complain about: to say that you are dissatisfied, or unhappy about sth. or someoneTranslation学生们经常抱怨食堂的伙食不好。The students always complain about the poor food in the canteen.
445. Key and Difficult Sentences 1) If he ever noticed or was bothered, he never let on. (L3)If he at any time noticed or felt troubled by this, he would never let anyone see or know how he felt.如果他注意到这些或因此感到不安，他从不表露出来。ever : a.常用于否定句、疑问句和表示条件的从句：从来b.用于表示比较的从句中：曾经c.用于特殊疑问句：究竟；到底；用任何方式Nothing ever makes him angry.It is raining harder than ever.Who ever can it be?bac
45warmer tunnel air kept free of ice. (L15) 2) Once there, ①he would cling to hand-rail ② until he reached the lower steps ③that thewarmer tunnel air kept free of ice. (L15)①he would cling to hand-rail②until he reached the lower steps③that the warmer tunnel air kept free of ice他就紧抓着地铁通道口的扶手/一直往下走/因为地铁空气暖和，下面几级台阶没有冰雪。
46key idea: I feel greatly surprised. (the key idea ) 3) When I think of it now, I feel greatly surprised at how much courage it must have taken for my father to experience such shame and stress. (L20)key idea:I feel greatly surprised. (the key idea )介词at的宾语从句的正常语序是：it must have taken (how much) courage for my father to experience such shame and stress;其中不定式结构是该宾从的真正主语。
474) He never talked about himself as an object of pity, nor did he show any envy of the more fortunate or able. (L23)他从不说自己可怜，也从不表现出对那些比他幸运或健康的人的羡慕。nor: used to introduce a second negative statement which is added to the first one.I have never been toParis, nor ____ my wife.hasHe is not a football fan,nor_____ I .am
485). Now that I am older, I believe that is a proper standard by which to judge people... (L26) 现在我长大成人，开始相信这正是判断一个人的恰如其分的标准, ……which to judge: 疑问词 +不定式e.g. 我真不知道该说什么。I really don’t know what to say.how to do; what to buy;where to go; when to begin
49Glad to accept, the boy nodded his agreement. 6) Unable to engage in many activities, my father still tried to participate in some way. (L29)unable to engage: a phrase showing concession.那男孩乐意接受，点头表示同意。Glad to accept, the boynodded his agreement.
521.SummaryMy father was ________crippled and short. When I was _________up, I felt __________andashamed to be ______walking with him. He would lean ___me with his hand on my arm for _______, but it was difficult to _______our steps---his_______, mine_________. People would stare. But my father had never been ________by all this. He never __________about anything and took an active and optimistic _______towards life and work. He never invited _____for himself, nor _____he show envy of the more _________ or able.severelygrowingreluctantseenonbalancecoordinatelameimpatientbotheredcomplainedattitudepitydidfortunate
53Now I am older, I come to _______how unworthy I am Now I am older, I come to _______how unworthy I am. Father’s courage, _________ and open-mindedness moved me deeply. Though my father has been_______, I think of him often. It is my father ____has helped me keep my balance. “You set the _____. I will try to adjust ____you.”knowtolerancegonewhopaceto
541) 既然你计划移居加拿大，那你必须努力适应寒冷的气候。 2. Translation《读写教程 I》: Ex. VII, p. 591) 既然你计划移居加拿大，那你必须努力适应寒冷的气候。move to Canadacold weatheradjust tonow thatNow that you are planning to move to Canada, you must try to adjust to a cold weather.
55with a little reluctance 2) 他承诺帮助我们买下那幢房子，但有点勉强。promise towith a little reluctancehelp us to buyHe promised to help us to buy the house, but with a little reluctance.
563) 这是一次重要的会议，请务必不要迟到。 see to it that be late for sth. This is an important meeting. Please see to it that you are not late for it.
57experienced businessman engage in foreign trade 4) 他是个有经验的商人；他做国际贸易已有好几年了。experienced businessmanengage in foreign tradeHe is an experienced businessman; he has engaged in foreign trade for quite a few years.
585) 她力劝我接受那个新职位，虽然那职位报酬并不优厚。 urge sb. to acceptbe not very well paidShe urged me to accept the new post, although the job is not very well paid.
601. Tell the story in the father’s tone In-Classlean onkeep / regain one’s balanceset the paceadjust todespitemake ita matter ofamazesubject…to…on one occasionon leavesee (to it) thatbe envious ofwith reluctancein some wayhaving a good time doing…complain about1. Tell the story in the father’s tone(story relay)
612. Children Learn What they Live --By Dorothy Law Nolte In-Class2. Children Learn What they Live --By Dorothy Law Nolte( )condemncriticism, they learn to _______.hostility, they learn to ______.fear, they learn to be apprehensive.pity, they learn to feel sorry for themselves.encouragement, they learn ________.tolerance, they learn ________.praise, they learn ___________.approval, they learn to like themselves.sharing, they learn _________.honesty, they learn truthfulness.fairness, they learn ________.kindness and consideration, they learn ________.security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them.friendliness, they learn the world is a nice place in which to livefightIf children live with批评中长大的孩子，责难他人。 敌意中长大的孩子，喜欢吵架。 恐惧中长大的孩子，常常忧虑。 嘲笑中长大的孩子，个性羞怯。 鼓励中长大的孩子，深具自信。 宽容中长大的孩子，能够忍耐。 称赞中长大的孩子，懂得感恩。 分享中长大的孩子，慷慨大方。 诚信中长大的孩子，理解真理。 公正中长大的孩子，极富正义。 尊重中长大的孩子，懂得尊敬。 信赖中长大的孩子，不但信任他人也信任自己。 友善中长大的孩子，不但爱他人也爱自己。confidencepatienceappreciationgenerosityjusticerespect
623. Describing the picture and show your opinions In-Class3. Describing the picture and show your opinions
63weather-beaten, exhausted In-Classparcel, tub, suds, stoolweather-beaten, exhaustedone-child policy, the only child in a family, the little emperor, spoilprepare sb. for life
64In-Class4. Father’s DayMrs. John B·Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a “father’s day” in Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart.William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd’s mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington State. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.
65In-ClassThe first Father’s Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane, Washington. In 1924, President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father’s Day. Finally in 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father’s Day.In the United States, the second Sunday in May is Mother’s Day.
66In-ClassTo celebrate the occasion, people send roses, gifts, and cards to their parents. Like writing a card, it is always special to include a written message on your greeting card.
67For showing the way that I should go In-ClassDear Father,Thank you, Father.For showing the way that I should goAnd teaching me things that I should know...For helping me through the ups and downsAnd standing by me through smiles and frowns...For being all that a father could be,Thanks–You mean the world to me.
68In-ClassDear Dad,There aren’t enough words to tell you how much you mean to me and how lucky I feel to have a dad like you. You’ve given me so much that I will probably never be able to return, but I will always remember what a loving, caring dad you are.May all the smiles, laughs, love return on this special day and remain for the rest of the year!
69Some commonly-used personal greetings: In-ClassSome commonly-used personal greetings:— To the best mother/father in the world— Thinking of you on Mother’s/Father’s Day— Thanks, Mom/DadClose your note with a more familiar form:— With love— With loving thoughts from both of us— Your loving son— Love always
70In-ClassYour TaskSuppose it is Father’s Day, write a note of thanks / appreciation to your Dad.
721. What is father’s love like? After-Class1. What is father’s love like?(simile & metaphor)A father’s seldom-spoken loveSounds clearly through the years—Sometimes in pearls of laughter,Sometimes through happy tears.Perhaps they have to speak their loveIn a fashion all they own.Because the love that fathers feelIs too big for words alone!
732. A history full of exemplary men and women After-Class2. A history full of exemplary men and womenJohn P Coutis is truly an exceptional person. Born with severely disabled legs, John defied medical opinions by living a full and rewarding life. Last month, John came here and left tens of thousands people breathless with his amazing talks. John set a great example on how dedication, hard work and a belief in yourself cannot only lead to national recognition, but also personal strength and reward.“Motivation lasts for 10 minutes… but inspiration last a lifetime.”
74extremely enthusiastic, constantly to strive to become stronger After-ClassDon’t Say “No”!optimistic,extremely enthusiastic,constantly to strive to become stronger
75Abraham Lincoln the 16th president difficult childhood After-ClassAbraham Lincolnthe 16th presidentdifficult childhoodthe death of two sonsconstant ridicule
76Franklin Roosevelt polio, less arrogant, less smug, less superficial, After-ClassFranklin Rooseveltpolio,less arrogant,less smug,less superficial,more focused,more complex,more interesting
77After-ClassHelen Keller“We would never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world.”
784. Write a short paragraph with the following expression involved: After-Class4. Write a short paragraph with the following expression involved:balance, adjust to, despite,a matter of , an object of pity, subject…to…, on one occasion, on leave, see to it that, if things had been different, reluctance
795. Reading to feed your appetite After-Class5. Reading to feed your appetiteThree Days to See(Helen Keller)
81Translate the following into English. 1) 协调手臂和腿部的动作 2) 遭受如此的耻辱和压力 1. ExpressionsTranslate the following into English.1) 协调手臂和腿部的动作2) 遭受如此的耻辱和压力3) 从不把他自己当作可怜虫来谈论4) 嫉妒别人运气好5) 从事教学6) 一定要使她早早回家7) 恢复平衡8) 及时赶到办公室to coordinate the movement of arms and legsbe subjected to such shame and stressnever talk about oneself as an object of pityshow envy of the more fortunate or ablebe engaged in teachingsee to it that she comes home earlyregain the balancemake it to the office
822. Choose the Best Answer1) The manager assured the customer that his complaint would be seen _____ immediately.A. on B. at C. to D. with2) The students were participating _____ aninternational energy-saving competition betweentowns in New England and Canada.A. for B. in C. to D. atB. toB. in
833) The persons that have the greatest influence _____ children are their teachers.A. in B. on C. for D. to4) I used to smoke _____ but I gave it up threeyears ago.A. seriously B. heavilyC. badly D. severely5) My camera can be _____ to take pictures incloudy or sunny conditions.A. treated B. adjusted C. accepted D. suitedB. onB. heavilyB. adjusted
846) Police have _____ for the public to come forward with any information which might help them intheir inquiries.A. urged B. informed C. called D. told7) _____ his great wealth, he always remained aman of simple tastes.A. Except for B. With regard toC. Although D. Despite8) _____ the punishment was unjust, Helenaccepted it without complaint.A. However B. So long asC. Since D. Even thoughC. calledD. DespiteD. Even though
859) _____ that my head had cleared, my brain was also beginning to work much better. A. For B. Now C. Since D. Despite10) If you happen to _____ my lost papers while you’re looking for your book, please let me know at once by telephone.A. come up B. come acrossC. come to D. come overC. SinceB. come across
863. Compound DictationMy father was ________crippled and short. When I was _________up, I felt ___________ and ashamed to be ______walking with him. He would lean ___me with his hand on my arm for _______, but it was difficult to _______our steps---his_______, mine_________. People would stare. But my father had never been ________by all this. He never __________about anything and took an active and optimistic _______towards life and work. He never invited _____for himself, nor _____he show envy of the more _________ or able.severelygrowingreluctantseenonbalancecoordinatelameimpatientbotheredcomplainedattitudepitydidfortunate
87Now I am older, I come to _______how unworthy I am Now I am older, I come to _______how unworthy I am. Father’s courage, _________ and open-mindedness moved me deeply. Though my father has been_______, I think of him often. It is my father ____has helped me keep my balance. “You set the _____. I will try to adjust ____you.”knowtolerancegonewhopaceto
884. Translation 1）请确保该药放在孩子够不着的地方。 3）他把衣物乱七八糟地塞进手提箱，头也不回地离开了家。 Please see to it that the medicine is kept in some place beyond the children’s reach.Having stuffed all the clothes into his suitcase, he left home without looking back.4）看到妈妈离开，孩子嚎啕大哭。2）他最近和父母争吵的比以前多得多。He argues with his parents a lot more than before.The kid burst into tears when he saw his mum leaving.
90My Role Model—My Father 1. Writing Homework A (theme-based writing)The author’s father served as a role model of a good heart for the author to help him to keep balance.My Role Model—My Father(Requirements: Try to make use of the topic expressions as many as possible.)
912. Writing Homework B (structure-based Writing) Normally, a writer starts with a general point and then presents a number of examples tosupport his point.Analyze the following paragraph:
92Para.8 Example1: Example2: A general point My father tried to participate in manyactivities in some way.Example1:Example2:keep the team goingas a managerlike to go todances and parties
93Living by the sea has many advantages Living by the sea has many advantages. They include a milder, less extreme climate; access to a wide variety of fish and shellfish; and an easy means of transport and communication, both inland via rivers, and along the coast in sheltered waters. These factors have meant that most coastal sites were developed early in human history.a general pointexample 1example 2example 3
94Your TaskTry to write your own paragraph, which starts with a general point with some examples to support it.Online Learning is My Choice