I don’t like waiting in line when a shop assistant has a long telephone conversation. When that happens, I usually say, “Would you mind helping me?” And I don’t like it when shop assistants follow me around. Read the article. Underline the things that annoy people in red. Underline what people do when annoying things happen in blue.
Then I say, “Could you please not follow me around? I’ll ask you if I need some help.” Usually the sales assistants say they are sorry, but sometimes they get mad. If that happens, I won’t go back to that store again.
I get annoyed when someone talks to me while I’m reading. This happens to me all the time in the school library. When it happens, I usually talk to the person because I want to be polite. But because I’m polite, people don’t know I’m annoyed. So they do the same thing again. Perhaps in the future I should try not to be so polite.
1. The girl doesn’t care if she waits in line. ( ) 2. When the shop assistant is having a long telephone conversation, she often waits. ( ) 3. She usually asks the shop assistant not to follow her around politely. ( ) Read it again and tell True or False. F F F
4. When the shop assistant gets mad, she will never go to that store again. ( ) 5. To the boy, it usually happens that someone talks to him while he was reading in the library. ( ) 6. He usually refuses ( 拒绝 ) to talk with the person. ( ) 7. Perhaps in the future, he should try not to be so polite. ( ) T F T T
3b Look at the pictures. Imagine you are the people in the pictures. Complete the sentences.
I get annoyed when someone stands in the subway door. When this happens, I __________________________________ ____________. I get annoyed when people cut in line. When this happens, I _________________________________ _____. would say, “Would you mind standing a little inside?” may say, “Could you please not cut in line?” 插队 n. 排 ; 队 ; 列
1. Have you ever met anybody who annoyed you? What annoys you in your daily life? annoy annoying annoyed 形容词， 常修饰人 形容词, 常 修饰物 动词 The most annoying thing is others cut in line. I get annoyed when someone talks to me while I’m reading. What annoys you in your daily life? Explanations
2. I’ll ask you if I need some help. 通常既可用 whether 也可用 if 表示 “ 是否 ” 来引导从句, 常置于 see, ask, learn, tell, wonder, doubt, find out 等动词之后。如 : I’m not sure whether /if I’ll have time. 我不敢肯定我是否会有时间。
He asked me whether/if I could help him. I want to know whether/if he lives there. 只能使用 whether 的场合 (1) 只有 whether 能用在介词后面。如： Success depends on whether we make enough effort.
(2) 在英语中, 与 or (not) 连用的词通常是 whether 。如 : Whether we help him or not, he will fail. 不论我们帮助他与否, 他都将失败。
(3) 带 to 的动词不定式前用 whether, 而不用 if 。如 : Please tell us whether to go or stay here. 请告诉我们是走还是留。 They didn’t know whether to agree or keep silent. 他们不知道是该同意还是保持沉默。
(4) whether 可置于句首引导主语从句, 而 if 不能。如： Whether the meeting will be held in Beijing is not known yet. 会议是否在北京举行还不得而知。 It’s not sure whether he is free. 他是否有时间不确定。
3....but sometimes they get mad. get 可以用作连系动词, 表示 “ 变得 ” ，后 常加形容词, 过去分词等做表语。 get mad 原指 : 变疯, 这里指 “ 生气 ” 。如： We get wiser as we get older. 我们年纪大一点的时候就变聪明一点。
4. This happens to me all the time in the school library. all the time 为一个固定的短语，意为 “ 一直地 ”, 在句中作状语用。如： They were laughing all the time. It rained all the time.
5. Perhaps in the future I should try not to be so polite. try 意为 “ 试，尝试 ” ，作动词时常用于 几种结构 : try to do sth., 指 “ 尽力去做 某事 ”, 强调竭尽全力, 不强调成功与否 ; try sth. 或 try doing sth., 分别指 “ 尝试某 事物 ” 或 “ 尝试着去做某事 ”, 都不强调 尽力与否。
表示 “ 尽力不做某事 ”, 应该说 “try not to do sth. 如： We are going to try a new treatment. 我们打算尝试一种新的治疗方法。 He tried skiing but never liked it. 他尝试过滑雪，但是从来就不喜欢。 Could you try not to speak so fast? 你能不能尽量不要说话那么快？
Find out some of the things that annoy your classmates and fill in the chart, and then make a conversation. NameProblemSolution Lin Zheng classmates don’t return my eraser. I don’t lend it to them again. Alan someone cut in line in front of me I usually say, “…”
Sample: A: What annoys you, Lin Zheng? B: I get annoyed when my classmates borrow my eraser and don’t return it. A: What do you do? B: I don’t lend it to them again.
GROUPWORK Make a list of other things you have complained about. Then rank the items from the most annoying to the least annoying. PlacesProblems Bus stopCut in line I think the most annoying thing is that others cut in line at bus stop, and I also think …. Report:
1. Would you mind _____ (give) me a smaller T-shirt? 2. His friend doesn’t know he is _______ (annoy). 3. The Greens must be excited _______ (move) into a new house. I. 请用括号中所给单词的适当形式完成 下列句子。 giving annoyed to move
4. It’s better to ____ (keep) your voice down in the library. 5. Could you please ____ (pick) up the pen on the ground? keep pick
1. 请不要到处跟着我。 (follow... around) ___________________________ 2. 每个人都应该排队等候。 (wait in line) __________________________ II. 请根据括号中的英文提示翻译下列汉 语句子。 Please don’t follow me around. Everyone should wait in line.
3. 你们知道去汽车站的路吗 ? (the way to) ________________________________ 4. 老师叫我们不要在街上玩。 (ask sb. not to do sth.) __________________________________ 5. 我们应该注意不要在公共场合大声说话。 (take care) _________________________ __________________________________ We should take care not to speak loudly in public place. Do you know the way to the bus stop? Teachers ask us not to play on the street.
There is a new family next door. Write a polite letter complaining about three things. Dear _____, Welcome to our neighborhood. Would you mind not ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __________. Yours sincerely, ____________