2On a piece of paper (see Ms On a piece of paper (see Ms. Feathers if you need one), answer the questions on the following slides.
31. Sam and Bill decide to kidnap a child because they want to A. Punish Mr. DorsetB. Get money quicklyC. Play games with someoneD. Have someone do work for them
42. What leads you to predict that Bill will want to return the boy early? A. The boy tries to scalp Bill.B. Bill has to sleep near the boy.C. Sam leaves Bill behind with the boy.D. The boy asks the men many questions.
53. A conflict arises between Sam and Bill because A. Sam is willing to write a letter to Mr. DorsetB. Sam likes spending time with the boyC. Bill wants to ask for less moneyD. Bill is left alone with the boy.
64. The boy stays with the men in the cave because he A. Likes playing with BillB. Please to get some of the moneyC. Knows that Sam and Bill always watch himD. Knows that his father does not want him back.
75. What does the boy do that tells you that he is upset about going home? A. Follows Bill back to the caveB. Makes Bill act like a horseC. Uses his slingshot on BillD. Grabs Bill around the legs
86. The main reason for choosing to kidnap the boy is that Sam and Bill A. Know that his father is an honest and wealthy manB. Believe that he is able to take care of himselfC. Think that he is brave, healthy, and relaxedD. See him playing outside unsupervised
97. You realize that the conflict between Sam and the boy is more than Sam expected when A. Bill’s screams wake SamB. The boy talks nonstop during dinnerC. Sam dreams about a redheaded pirateD. Sam sleeps with the boy between himself and Bill
108. Which event leads you to predict that Bill will agree to Mr 8. Which event leads you to predict that Bill will agree to Mr. Dorset’s demand?A. Sam threatens to take the boy home if the boy does not behave.B. Bill tells the boy to quit kicking or the boy will be in trouble.C. Sam admits to Bill that the boy has gotten on his nerves.D. Bill tells Same to ask for only fifteen hundred dollars in ransom.
119. Sam and Bill sign their letter “Two Desperate Men” because they want Mr. Dorset to know that A. They agree to keep their location and identities a secretB. Mr. Dorset must agree to give them the money or they will beg for it loudlyC. The boy is annoying, and they are desperate to get rid of himD. They are desperate and might harm the boy if their demands are not met
1210. What does Mr. Dorset do that shows the men are not alone in their feelings about the boy? A. Tells the men that they can keep the boy with them at the caveB. Warns the men to return the boy at night so that the neighbors do not see themC. Sends a bike messenger to the appointed place to drop off a noteD. Agrees to Sam’s instructions about where to pay the ransom
1311. Ransom is money demanded for a A. Past debtB. Mail deliveryC. Well-done jobD. Person’s release
1412. What are provisions?A. Needed suppliesB. Spoiled plansC. Fun gamesD. Old letters
1513. To comply is toA. Keep a secretB. Give directionsC. Obey a commandD. Mistreat someone
1614. What does proposition mean? A. Bad dreamB. Good deedC. Suggested planD. Small problem
1715. Commend means toA. BegB. PraiseC. AgreeD. Question
1816. A diatribe is aA. Bitter criticismB. Pleading requestC. Difficult confessionD. Complaint about abuse
1917. Collaborate means toA. Write a letterB. Work togetherC. Kidnap a childD. Torment someone
2018. What does impudent mean? A. LonelyB. CuriousC. ChildishD. Disrespectful
21At this point, take your paper to Ms. Feathers so that she can check it. After that, look through the rest of the questions. These are possible open-ended questions. Mark them on your study guide so you know what to study tonight!
22How does Bill feel about the boy How does Bill feel about the boy? Give one detail to support your answer.
23Why is Mr. Dorset’s letter a surprise to Bill and Sam?
24Why do Bill and Sam agree to the terms of Mr. Dorset’s letter Why do Bill and Sam agree to the terms of Mr. Dorset’s letter? Use two details from the story to support your response.
25Identify two reasons for Sam and Bill’s choosing Summit for the kidnapping.
26How does the boy show that he likes Bill How does the boy show that he likes Bill? Use two details from the story to support your response.
27Do you think Bill and Sam will try kidnapping again? Why or why not?
28O. Henry is known for writing stories with unexpected twists and turns O. Henry is known for writing stories with unexpected twists and turns. Use details from “The Ransom of Red Chief” to explain how this story illustrates this description.
29Which character has the most control in the story: The boy, Sam, or Mr Which character has the most control in the story: The boy, Sam, or Mr. Dorset? Support your opinion with details from the story.