Presentation on theme: "Context Clues. Definition Words, phrases, and sentences around the word that is unfamiliar. Example: I drove my lsdklsdjklf to school and parked."— Presentation transcript:
Definition Words, phrases, and sentences around the word that is unfamiliar. Example: I drove my lsdklsdjklf to school and parked it in the rack by the main office.
Kinds of Context Clues 1. Definitions or synonyms Key words: or, is called, that is, in other words. Example: Joe was a spendthrift, that is, a big spender, and always came home with a trunk full of bags.
2. Concrete example The writer gives you an example Antigens can be divided into two groups: foreign antigens and self antigens. Foreign antigens are introduced from outside the body.
3. Contrast Clues Authors include the opposite meaning to clarify the meaning of a hard word. Example: His old sneakers and plaid jacket looked out of place at the elegant restaurant.
4. Description Clues The author will describe what the word means. Example: Mrs. B. works as a liaison between teachers and home by calling and emailing both teachers and parents.
5. Words or Phrases that Modify Adjectives, adverbs, or phrases and clauses provide clues to the meaning. The cabin was in a remote area, without roads, houses, or cell phone towers.
6. Conjunctions showing relationships Link unfamiliar words with new ones by words like and, but, or, nor, for, and yet. Example: He saw the podiatrist yesterday morning, but his foot still was sore.
7. Unstated or Implied Meanings Draw on your own experience to figure out the meaning of a word. Example: The gym was in complete chaos; we had just won the game in double overtime, and there wasn’t any adult around.
Practice The product is available in two sizes, large and ___________. Hint?
It’s impossible to fit a square peg in a _________________ hole. Hint?
__________, a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen, is essential for life. Hint
Cover your head if you are going out in the pouring ___________. Hint?
The __________, weeks, and months pass quickly during the school year. Hint: series
An expert is a person who knows more and more about __________ and less. Hint:
Hire a ______________ who knows how to fix broken pipes. Hint:
The difference is as great as night and _____________. Hint:
When 5 o’clock comes, many workers leave the city for the ___________. Hint:
A famous surgeon was called in to perform the _______________. Hint:
Without a _________, you are not allowed to drive a car.
Voters lined up at the __________ on election day.
Although he took several aspirin, his ______________ remained.
Don’t tell a soul; it’s supposed to be a _________________.
The police have questioned several _____________________.