I. Teaching Aims II. Teaching Contents III. Teaching Time: 6 class hours IV. Teaching Focal and Difficult Points
V. Teaching Methods Teamwork method Situational teaching approach Task-based teaching method VI. Teaching Aids PPT Blackboard VI. Teaching Procedure
I. TEACHING AIMS Text A : Personality Development 1. Let the students acquainted with some new words and expressions: Combination, sum up, be composed of, fall into, reveal, entertain, creative, entertain, inherit, have an impact on, secure, satisfy, affect, complicated 2. Grammar Review: unit of words that can be used to describe the number of a noun: a, an, some, all, every, any, many, much, etc. 3. Writing Skills: Theme-related writing
Text B: Test Your Personality 1. Grasp the key word and phrases and complete Word Detective 2. Grasp the main idea of the text and do the comprehensions exercise
II. TEACHING CONTENTS Section A: Personality Development Lead-in Pre-reading Activities Background Information Structure of the Text Language Points
Section B:Test Your Personality Reading skills Reading comprehension Language points
IV. TEACHING FOCAL AND DIFFICULT POINTS Text A : Personality Development 1. Analyze the structure of the passage 2. Analyze the structure of several sentences 3. Grasp several key words Text B: Test Your Personality 1. Grasp the main idea of the text 2. Reading skills: Word Detective
Lead-in Pre-reading Activities Background Information Work on Text A Language Points
1. LEAD IN Discuss the following questions: 1. Do you know what your strengths and weakness are? 2. Can you describe your best friend’s personality? 3. What personality traits do you dislike most? Why?
2. PRE-READING ACTIVITIES Directions: Listen to a short message about what personality is and why we should pay attention to personality development. Then a. answer the following questions 1. What are the two main ideas mentioned in the listening passage? 2. What do psychologists usually look for when they talk about personality? 3. How do psychologists usually group people? 4. In general, how can knowledge about personality help us?
b. Fill in the blanks 1. Different psychologist’s _______personality in different ways. 2. Introverts are people who are ______or like to _______reading and doing their ____whereas ______ are those who enjoy ______. 3. If we know a person’s personality, we will be able to ____him/her better, which will help to make our relationship with this person______. 4. One way to help an introvert is to make him/her feel____ when he/she is with a group of people he/she has never met before. 5. We can change and ____ourselves if we know our own personality.
Answers for a: 1. The two main ideas mentioned in the listening text are: what personality means; How knowledge about personality can help us. 2. Psychologists look for things that make a person different from others or things that can explain how a person is different from others. 3. Psychologists use tests to categorize and compare people. 4. In general, knowledge about personality can help us to understand others better when we know how they behave and why they behave in a certain way; Improve ourselves so that we can be better persons.
Answers for b 1. explain 2. quiet spend time at home own things extroverts meeting different kinds of people 3. understand stronger 4. comfortable 5. improve
3. BACKGROUND INFORMATION “Like father, like son.”( 有其父必有其子。 )is a common quote that is used not only by Chinese but also by many other races and cultures in the world. The underlying assumption of this quote is that whatever traits demonstrated by the son are inherited from the father.
4. WORK ON TEXT A A) Structure of the Text ( a method of analyzing the text structure is employed) Part Ⅰ (para.1-7)-----Three elements of personality: emotional, social, intellectual. Part Ⅱ (para.8-12)-----The two factors that influence personality development are heredity and environment.
B) Raise some questions to make students grasp some detailed information in the text (question and answer method is used) (Para 1-3) Q: How are people different from one another? A: They are different in terms of shape, size and personality
(Para 4) Q: What do we usually find about people’s personalities when observing how they cope with emotions? A: Although people have similar emotions, they react differently to things that cause such emotions. It is through their reactions that we get to know more about others’ personalities, (Para 5-6) Q: In what way is one’s social personality revealed? A: One’s personality in the social context is revealed through the way he\she relates to others.
(Para 7-8) Q; What does the writer mean by saying that we need to know someone well enough before we know” the full depth of that person’s personality”(L.38)? A: The writer is referring to the fact that we need to observe a person’s behavior in different contexts before we can describe the person’s personality fully and correctly.
(Para 10) Q: What impact does the stability of our family have on our personality? A: The more stable our family life is. The more positive personality traits we can develop. (Para 11) Q: What would happen if everyone had the same personality according to the writer? A: The writer thinks that life would be boring if everyone had the same personality.
5. LANGUAGE POINTS A) Words and Expressions combination: n. the act of combining or state of being combined * The firm is working on a new product in combination with several overseas partners. * Pink is a combination of red and white. Collocation: make a combination 形成组合 a fixed combination 固定搭配 in combination (with) 联合，与 …… 合作 NB: 注意该词的词性变化。它的动词形式为 combine 。
CF: compose, comprise, constitute & consist 这几个词都是动词，均有 “ 组成 ” 之意。 compose 的主语表示事物的组成部分，宾语表示事物的 整体。但在被动语态中正好相反。例如： * England, Scotland, and Wales compose the island of Great Britain. 英格兰、苏格兰和威尔士组成大不 列颠岛。 * All substances are composed of a great many particles called atoms. 一切物质都是由大量称作原 子的粒子构成的。
comprise 可以表示 “ 包含 ” 、 “ 由 …… 组成 ” 之意，此时主语表 示事物的整体，语表示事物的组成部分；也可以表示 “ 构 成 ” 之意，此时主语表示事物的组成部分，宾语表示事物 的整体。例如： * The committee comprises ten persons. 委员会由十人组 成。 constitute 的主语表示事物的组成部分，宾语表示事物的整 体。例如： * Seven days constitute a week. 七天为一个星期。 consist 是个不及物动词，与介词 of 一起连用，不可用于被动 语态。 consist 的主语表示事物的整体， of 后的宾语表示事 物的组成部分。例如： * Our dinner consists of three courses only. 我们的晚餐 只有三道菜。
emotional : adj. 1) of or relating to emotion * The child’s bad behavior is a result of emotional problems. 2) having feelings which are strong or easily made active * He was very emotional; he cried when I left. NB: 该词的名词形式为 emotion 。
Collocation: stir/whip up emotion(s) 激发起感情 express emotion 表达情感 show emotion 显露出情感 suppress/contain one’s emotions 抑制感情
anxiety : n. 1) fear and worry, esp. as caused by uncertainty about something * The doctor’s report removed all their anxieties. 他们对她的安全感到非常担忧。 (= They felt strong anxiety for her safety.) 2) a strong wish to do something; eagerness * anxiety to please(= 急于取悦 )
Collocation: anxiety about … 对 …… 的焦虑 * There was much anxiety about the future of these theatres. 人们对这些剧院的前途忧心忡忡。 anxiety for … 为 …… 担忧 display anxiety 表现出焦虑 relieve one’s anxiety 消除某人的忧虑
Directions: Fill in the blanks with the words above. Change the form where necessary. 1) Life is full of _______. (= worries) 2) Everyone has ______ of his own. (= anxieties) 3) The Prime Minister expressed his ______ over the postal strike. (= concern) 4) Our ______ grew when the mountain climbers hadn’t returned by nightfall. (= anxiety) 5) It is a ______ to me having to leave the sick child alone in the house. (= worry) 6) It’s my ______ for your future that makes me ask you all these questions. (= concern)
influence : 1) n. ① the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of sb. or sth., or the effect itself * He has a strange influence over the girl. 父母对子女的影响 (= the influence of parents on their children) ② person, fact, etc. that exercises such power * Religion has been an influence for good in her life. * We are subject to many influences.
2) vt. have an effect on * Don’t let me influence your decision. What influenced you to do it? Collocation: exert influence on … 对 …… 施加影响 strengthen one’s influence 加强势力 under sb.’s influence 在某人的影响下 under the influence of … 在 …… 的影响下 drive under the influence of alcohol 酒后开车 outside influences 外界影响
entertain : v. 1) amuse and interest * A teacher should entertain as well as teach. 2) give a party (for); provide food and drink (for) * Bob and Liz entertained us to dinner last night. * He does most of his entertaining in restaurants. NB: 注意该词的词性变化。其名词形式为 entertainment ； entertaining 作为形容词意为 “ 有趣 的 ” 、 “ 使人娱乐的 ” ； entertainer 是名词，意思是 “ 专 业表演者 ” 、 “ 提供娱乐者 ” 。
circumstance : n. [usu. pl.] a fact, condition, or event concerned with and influencing another event, person, or course of action 如果情况允许，工作从星期一开始。 (= Work will begin on Monday if circumstances permit.) * in easy/poor circumstances (= 处于富裕 / 贫穷状况 )
Collocation: in/under no circumstances 决不；无论如何都不 * Under no circumstances should you lend him any money. 你无论如何都不该把钱借给他。 in/under the circumstances 既然这样；在这种情况下 * She coped well in the circumstances, e.g. even though she was feeling ill. 她在这种情况下仍处理 得当（如虽然身体不适）。
exert : vt. use strength or skills in a determined way for a particular purpose * My wife’s been exerting a lot of pressure on me to change my job. Collocation: exert all one’s strength 使出全身力气 exert influence on … 对 …… 施加影响 exert pressure on … 给 …… 压力 exert oneself 努力；尽力 * You’ll have to exert yourself more if you want to pass your exam.
B) Useful Expressions 1. 基因构成 genetic make-up 2. 思考，考虑 reflect on 3. 总结，归纳，概括 sum up 4. 塑造个性 shape personality 5. 付出努力 make the effort 6. 由 …… 组成；由 …… 构成 be composed of 7. 大体上，一般而言 in general
8. 分成 fall into 9. 响应，反应 respond to 10. 请客（吃饭）；举行（聚会） throw a party 11. 不把 …… 告诉（某人）；防止（某人）听到（某 事） keep (sth.) to 12. 处理情感 handle emotions 13. 智力特征 intellectual traits 14. 沉思 deep thought 15. 以幽默的方式 in entertaining ways
16. 在工作中；在干活 at work 17. 从 …… 处遗传 …… inherit … from … 18. 对 …… 有影响（起作用） have an impact on 19. 产生影响 exert an effect on 20. 另一方面 on the other hand 21. 对 …… 满意 be satisfied with 22. 跟 …… 一起 along with
1. Reading skill — Word Detective Play detective and find the required word in Text B according to the clues given. The number of the paragraph in which the target word appears is given in brackets. Example: An adjective meaning “detailed and exact: clear in meaning or explanation”(Para.2) Write down the target word here: specific Ask students to finish the exercises on the Page 82
2. Comprehension of the text (para.1-2) Q: What does our preference for colors mean? A: Our preference for colors can reveal the kind of person we are. (para.3) Q: What is said about a person who choose red as his\her most favorite color? A: The person is likely to be impulsive, sexy and have a strong will to win, and he\she may prove to be a good leader.
(para.8) Q: What does the author say about a person who prefers grey? A: He\She does not want to be committed and usually wants to be alone. (para.10) Q: What are people who choose black as their favorite color likely to do if they are not happy with their life? A: They will probably fight their way out in order to change their current situation.
3.Words &Expressions (para 2) It is believed by many that our preference for some specific colors. Preference: eg. My friend has a strong preference for classical music. 我朋友对古典音乐有很强的偏爱。
(Para 4)you feel isolated and disappointed. Isolate : eg. When a person has an infectious disease, he is usually isolated from other people. 当有人得了传染病，通常他会被隔离。
（ Para 6 ） you are stuck in a dream world of wishful thinking. Be/get stuck in: We were stuck in traffic for over an hour. 我们堵车了一个多小时。
（ Para 9 ） the more you feel the need to break away from the ties that restrict you. Restrict: eg. The government is considering new laws which will further restrict people’s access to firearms. 政府正在考虑一项新法律，它将限制人们获得枪支的 途径。