Presentation on theme: "Renaissance Art. First look as slides 3-6, what words would you use to describe Medieval Art?"— Presentation transcript:
First look as slides 3-6, what words would you use to describe Medieval Art?
High Middle Ages…almost there
9 Characteristics of Renaissance art
1. Anatomy Human Form Renaissance - drawing and sculpting human figures realistically Renaissance - drawing and sculpting human figures realistically Renewing the beauty of human form, muscles depict strength and perfection, faces often reflect emotionRenewing the beauty of human form, muscles depict strength and perfection, faces often reflect emotion Medieval – cruder, less life-like Medieval – cruder, less life-like
2. Perspective Medieval art looks flat and 2-D Renaissance art introduces perspective by making the background appear at different distances from the center of the painting
3. Classicism Would sometimes include characters or elements of Greek or Roman civilization
4. Love of Nature Include landscape as background in many paintings Portray trees, plants, and other aspects of nature realistically
5. Youthfulness Paintings often included children Artists would not depict children if they were uncertain of society’s future Suggests increase in the quality of life Confidence in society
6. Pride and Individualism Wealthy members of society were often painted with their slaves or servants, gold, or wearing elaborate jewelry Artists paint themselves, or paint themselves into the painting – shows that they were not afraid to give themselves some credit, no longer believe all credit must go to God
7. Interest in Learning Art often depicts people holding books or touching globes to represent their worldly knowledge People are drawn to look like they are having discussions to suggest philosophical knowledge
8. Composition Triangular composition Incorporates a range of perspective and directs eyes to the tip of the triangle, this is the focus of the painting Incorporates a range of perspective and directs eyes to the tip of the triangle, this is the focus of the painting
9. Religion “Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings!” Idea of angels having wings and halos originates during the Renaissance
Instructions For slides 17-20, write down the name of the artist and piece and describe which characteristics of Renaissance Art that you see in each piece.